DVDVR Message Board

ALL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

hammerva

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So apparently Hulu is going to do a documentary on Freaknik which if anything knows even a little bit about it then maybe Hulu isn't a strong enough platform to show how crazy it was.  

Had no idea what this event was so did a quick read on Wikipedia. This line in its article cracked me up:

"Large numbers of Atlanta police made it difficult to party in Freaknik or commit crimes." 

On 4/8/2023 at 10:24 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Freaknik sounds like Unofficial St. Patrick's Day in Champaign, IL, only for black kids. 

It is the HBCU version of Spring Break at Lauderdale.  Hopefully this documentary will go into the whole Greekfest thing at Virginia Beach aka the night I slept in a bathtub at the Holiday Inn because the National Guard was out in the street beating the shit out of black kids for doing the same shit that white kids did on Spring Break at Lauderdale.

Greekfest was essentially Freaknik for HBCU kids that did not have the money to travel all the way to Atlanta.

To this day, I have never spent a dime in Virginia Beach, nor do I plan to.  If they don't want my money, I'll spend it elsewhere.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Moonage Daydream (the David Bowie doc) is doing the rounds on HBO and it is one of the best things ever. Ever. And I'm not even a huge Bowie fan, don't actually own any of his records. It's a landmark presentation. Your jaw will drop. 

Wife and I saw it was up. She said we should watch. I said that I read somewhere that it's good, but not really anything in there for you if you already know a lot about Bowie. As I said this, I realized that I don't actually know that much about Bowie. I know the big career bullet points, but that's about it. And I do have a bunch of his records!

So, anyway, that's a long way of saying I'm glad to hear that you dug it. I'm going to try to get to it really soon.

• Like 1

Five Nights At Freddy's

Josh Hutcherson is the security guard (aka the character you play in the game)

Also stars Elizabeth Lail, Piper Rubio, Kat Conner Sterling, Mary Stuart Masterson and Matthew Lillard,

I just segued from watching the Donna Summer documentary into the Tina Turner documentary, both on HBO, which was a wild coincidence. Saw most of Donna's and pretty much all of Tina's because I HAD to switch over. Donna wrote way more songs I'm familiar with than I knew; she came off as a really funny, cheeky, seriously talented person. Shame about her death. Tina's doc covers a reaaaaaally long life and some totally crazy shit, of course. Excellent work. 

• Like 1

I just remembered two of the crazier things in Tina. 

1. She met her husband when he was 30 and she was 50... and they didn't officially marry for 23 YEARS.

2. She wound up getting a deal on Capitol Records, but then there was a management shakeup, they didn't want her, and dumped her. When her manager went pleading for them not to, the response was that they didn't want an, and I quote, "old (N-bomb) douchebag" (!!!). The manager dropped to his knees and said he wouldn't get up until they resigned her. They finally said they'd release an album but would not support it in any way whatsoever, and that was it. 

They went on to make Private Dancer which sold millions and millions of copies. She ended up playing to over 160,000 people in Rio. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. 

The Michael J. Fox documentary, Still, is incredibly moving and emotional. My grandpa had Parkinson’s and died last year, so this brought up all kinds of feelings.

Also makes me want to watch Spin City because I loved that show.

On 5/28/2023 at 6:32 PM, J.T. said:

What a dumpster fire.  Looking forward to Jill Duggar tossing everyone under the bulldozer treads.

The wife wanted to watch this.  I knew that segment was bad, but holy fucking shit  I do appreciate how they Trojan Horsed a rabbit hole dive on IBLP in this.

If there's a hell, Jim Bob and Michelle have a spot reserved.

On 6/3/2023 at 10:40 PM, Raziel said:

I do appreciate how they Trojan Horsed a rabbit hole dive on IBLP in this.

When I found the trailer - the story that accompanied it with was with the directors and they were like "Yeah.. we stumbled upon all this shit and where like WTF???" and it changed the direction of what the doc was actually about

If the documentary series about the Duggar's is not enough to piss you off, MAX right now has a 3 part series on Jared from Subway

Okay apparently this is just from a TV show based on the edits on it.  Like the R Kelly ones on Netflix.   So it might not be new 

Edited by hammerva

15 hours ago, hammerva said:

If the documentary series about the Duggar's is not enough to piss you off, MAX right now has a 3 part series on Jared from Subway

Okay apparently this is just from a TV show based on the edits on it.  Like the R Kelly ones on Netflix.   So it might not be new 

It's new as in recent but it actually is from the ID channel and aired a couple months ago.  I watched it with my mom and it is BONKERS.  Definitely recommended.