DVDVR Message Board

ALL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

hammerva

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

There are cancellation of projects, and then there are *CANCELLATIONS* of projects:

Because they somehow managed to film an entire documentary about him without discovering his unsavory views? Riiiiiiiiiight.... 

• 2 weeks later...

The Maria Bamford version of the Dark Side of Comedy is really strange but also kind of educational.  I was stunned that she was actually the woman in the Target Christmas commercials and the reality is that she every bit that person.  The roller coaster of mental issues she has suffered from that she used as a comedy show is funny but kind of scary.  And as the show talks about a lot of comedians have these issues.  Hard not to hope she pulls out of her bipolar issues

Edited by hammerva

On 10/24/2022 at 4:38 PM, J.T. said:

Man, I hope it has a lot of Nicki Clyne in it.  She is still batshit crazy and will be fun to watch for a couple of hours.

Well the series finale will be the one for you.  The last 45 minutes is basically her and other followers still defending him.  I think Nicki realizes that things look bad but he helped her so much in her mind that he can justify it blindly.   The real scary one is Michele who will justify every single thing he does and probably will until death.  

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 8:58 AM, hammerva said:

Well the series finale will be the one for you.  The last 45 minutes is basically her and other followers still defending him.  I think Nicki realizes that things look bad but he helped her so much in her mind that he can justify it blindly.   The real scary one is Michele who will justify every single thing he does and probably will until death.  

At this point, the only option they have is to double down.  You don't want to look back at this and realize that you wasted your time with this crap.  Denial is powerful.

Edited by J.T.

These two have some overlapping themes so I will put them both in the same post

Loudmouth

All about Al Sharpton. Those of us from NY are gonna have some series flashbacks

Lowndes County and the Road to Black Power 

Let's just make documentaries that only JT will watch and will make him angry.   

I am genuinely shocked that there isn't a Remember That Tawana Brawley Bullshit? segment on Fox News every time Al opens his mouth at MSNBC.

Edited by J.T.

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

If These Walls Could Sing

Documentary about Abbey Road directed by Mary McCartney

If that doc doesn't have a scene where McCartney stands at the mixing board and sings along with certain parts as he works the sliders and gestures wildly, I'll eat my hat.

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

DESCENDANT

The list of documentaries that will infuriate @J.T. grows

Goddammit.  I love documentaries like that, but I am always in the mind to set tire fires in the street after the credits roll.

The idea that a teacher in Florida could get in trouble simply for showing this to her class also makes my blood boil.

Edited by J.T.

This is being described as a 'cinematic documentary'...

THE SUBTLE ART OF NOT GIVING A FUCK

This is either going to be super fun or insufferable...

*checks release date*   Oh. Well, I guess there's your answer.

In Theaters January 9th. 😬

On 12/2/2022 at 1:22 PM, (BP) said:

I always forget what Debra Wilson looks like now and I get shook all over again. 

When she showed up on the Dark Side of Comedy I saw her several episodes in a row, never caught her name and wondered who she was the whole time. I think around the Roseanne episode I finally noticed and was like daaaaaaaaamn.

• 1 month later...

Pamela, a love story

I haven't looked into it yet so I am not sure if they was put together after Pam & Tommy started coming together or not but it definitely seems to be benefiting (if that is the right word) from the show coming out

I finally sat down and watched Descendant last night after about a month or two of putting it off.  I am surprised I did not set a tire fire in my front yard..

Edited by J.T.

Navalny showed up on CNN again (guess I missed it the first time) and holy shit. Just the development of the events, beyond Alexei's own instantly identifiable charisma and good humor, is enough to make you want to watch it. The phone call scene where the assassination member completely outs himself is one of the craziest things I've ever seen in my entire life. And you think we got it bad here (or in your own respective countries) -- even when THESE guys fuck up, it just underlines how depthless their evil is more than it makes them look fallible. I hope this comparison won't be taken the wrong way, but Navalny in prison is somewhat comparable to Nelson Mandela, and hopefully in time he ends up the leader of his own country just like Mandela. 

There is one thing I have to note though, and he even mentions being assailed by it in interviews for years, is him participating in marches with nationalists (read: Nazis) and though I can understand his reasoning behind it, it wouldn't be my play at all. But he's trying to unify a disparate country full of the apathetic beaten down for decades and enormous totalitarian bootlickers, so what do I know.