DVDVR Message Board

ALL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

hammerva

Dice is a land of contradictions. He didn’t have the foresight or the courage to get out from under his gimmick, but he could be transgressive within his lane with stuff like The Day the Laughter Died. But he’s 100x more interesting as an actor, both in his recent dramatic work and even his Diceman movies like Ford Fairlane or Brain Smasher. 

The Netflix Untold doc on the 1983 America's Cup is really good, I'm not into sailing but I found it extremely interesting mainly due to the competitive drive of everyone involved, if it was a 30 for 30 it'd be one of the best ones. I'm hoping they do a follow up doc on the 1987 America's Cup when Dennis Connor won it back, along with all the bs the following year when a New Zealand banker sued to challenge for the Cup and the hysterical race that followed.

The Untold doc on Tim Donaghy was good but everyone involved/interviewed are lying scumbags so everything said has to be taken with a grain of salt. 

17 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

The Netflix Untold doc on the 1983 America's Cup is really good, I'm not into sailing but I found it extremely interesting mainly due to the competitive drive of everyone involved, if it was a 30 for 30 it'd be one of the best ones. I'm hoping they do a follow up doc on the 1987 America's Cup when Dennis Connor won it back, along with all the bs the following year when a New Zealand banker sued to challenge for the Cup and the hysterical race that followed.

The Untold doc on Tim Donaghy was good but everyone involved/interviewed are lying scumbags so everything said has to be taken with a grain of salt. 

Its weird which Untold trailers pop up on my feed and which ones don't - I had no idea there was an America's Cup one

Riotsville, USA

So apparently the military made their own fake town and enacted fake riots to "train" police officers how to deal with them. The footage of these riots is all theirs. And there was also a PBS before PBS that was shut down for being too incendiary. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 8/30/2022 at 11:17 PM, Tabe said:

Why can't this be on HBO? Argh. 

Because Showtime is awesome.

I am going to watch the shit out of that Sidney Poitier documentary.  

Rodney Ascher, director of the badass documentary, Room 237, about the phenomenon that was film analysis of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, also directed a documentary entitle The Nightmare in 2015.  It was inspired by his struggle with night terrors and sleep paralysis. 

This shit is far scarier than some of the legit horror movies I've seen.

Now you know what I watch while I am on graveyard shift during the US Army training exercises I help to facilitate.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Into The Deep

Filmmaker Emma Sullivan was looking to profile eccentric inventor Peter Madsen and his homemade rocket for a documentary. Instead, she captures incriminating footage that helped convict him of the murder of journalist Kim Wall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't watched it yet but if you watched the HBO The Vow documentary series last year we are now getting the Part 2 version.  Supposedly from the leaders and still followers of the cult right now.   Based on the trailer it does seem to be a mix of people of still drinking the kool aid and people who realize how fucked up this ended up being

• Like 1

To continue the Dark Side of Comedy conversation, Greg Giraldo one was pretty crushing, I forgot all about him and didn't know he OD'd. Brett Butler's was a smidgen happier. She's a total badass. Any of the shit that happened to her could have made her a casualty too but she keeps trucking. She squandered something like $12 million dollars, that's when you take a header off a bridge, not accept a Gofundme. Tough. The last one coming up is on Maria Bamford. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

The Artie Lange one changed what I thought of him.  I always thought he was just some fuck up who did what he did for fun.  But knowing the incredible guilt he has for not being there when his father died at work.  To the point he has the hose from that day hanging in his house.  That will mess you up big time.    Granted it doesn't explain all of his cocaine issues.    Also realize that being on Stern was the best and worst thing that ever happened to him

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 7:29 AM, hammerva said:

I haven't watched it yet but if you watched the HBO The Vow documentary series last year we are now getting the Part 2 version.  Supposedly from the leaders and still followers of the cult right now.   Based on the trailer it does seem to be a mix of people of still drinking the kool aid and people who realize how fucked up this ended up being.

Man, I hope it has a lot of Nicki Clyne in it.  She is still batshit crazy and will be fun to watch for a couple of hours.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

There are cancellation of projects, and then there are *CANCELLATIONS* of projects:

They thought better of doing a doc about crazy ass Ye?  Naaaahhhhhhhhhhh.