DVDVR Message Board

ALL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

hammerva

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Not looking that dude up, but please tell me something really bad happened to him. 

He served two years in federal prison thanks to a plea deal

He also is supposed to pay people a lot of money... which he never will

So no, no it didn't

• Sad 1

On 7/15/2022 at 11:40 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I think the only accurate discussion of Black Bloc I've seen on TV was on a Vice show one time where they just had a guy pointing out that rubber bullets are like shooting people with an entire length of pipe. 

I remember being stunned the first time I saw a rubber bullet. They're freaking huge. Like getting hit with a soup can. 

• Like 1

Finally a documentary that probably won't make me mad.

Shudder presents:  This is GWAR!  The celebration of Richmond VA's favorite sons.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

The DB Cooper documentary on Netflix is the perfect example of what is wrong with many of the docuseries on Netflix.  After about part 3 DB Cooper isn't even that much of a part of the story and it becomes more about conspiracy theories and people trying to keep to solve the mystery by any means necessary.  Almost like part 4 the producer realizes that there isn't much to work and just goes another way to justify 2 or 3 more parts.  I don't even know if watching the ending frankly unless there is a huge bombshell that took FOREVER to get to.

Maybe watch the first 3 parts of then maybe the ending because the rest is just a waste of time in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, hammerva said:

The DB Cooper documentary on Netflix is the perfect example of what is wrong with many of the docuseries on Netflix.  After about part 3 DB Cooper isn't even that much of a part of the story and it becomes more about conspiracy theories and people trying to keep to solve the mystery by any means necessary.  Almost like part 4 the producer realizes that there isn't much to work and just goes another way to justify 2 or 3 more parts.  I don't even know if watching the ending frankly unless there is a huge bombshell that took FOREVER to get to.

Maybe watch the first 3 parts of then maybe the ending because the rest is just a waste of time in my opinion.

The Netflix Three Mile Island doc series was like that.

4 hours ago, Mister TV said:

The Netflix Three Mile Island doc series was like that.

One of the Nxium (however the heck it's spelled) documentaries was like that, too. Very obviously stretched to be a specific length. 

Same with that woman who disappeared in the seedy LA hotel.

For that reason, I don't bother with multi part docs anymore unless I'm specifically interested in the subject matter. Huge amounts of filler.

16 hours ago, J.T. said:

Finally a documentary that probably won't make me mad.

Shudder presents:  This is GWAR!  The celebration of Richmond VA's favorite sons.

Then don't look up the lead singer's appearances on Fox News. ? 

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Then don't look up the lead singer's appearances on Fox News. ? 

I do not know of these interviews on Red Eye of which you speak.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

I suppose this will go here, even though it's primarily about his college career.

UNTOLD: THE GIRLFRIEND WHO DIDN'T EXIST

...or Manti Te'o learns what catfishing is. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I suppose this will go here, even though it's primarily about his college career.

UNTOLD: THE GIRLFRIEND WHO DIDN'T EXIST

...or Manti Te'o learns what catfishing is. 

I still think he's lying.  He may have got fooled at first,  but I believe he kept that story going well after he figured it out. Either that, or he's a complete and total moron. 

Edited by supremebve

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I still think he's lying.  He may have got filled at first,  but I believe he kept that story going well after he figured it out. Either that, or he's a complete and total moron. 

Same.  I expect the doc to make him look fairly good though.  He possibly got paid for his cooperation and has been rumored to have had some creative control.  Not really expecting Untold to ask tough questions or challenge his sanitized version of events.  He was going to cooperate with an ESPN story on the incident, but backed out at the least minute, either because the Netflix deal came along or because he got cold feet when he realized the producer putting together the episode intended to challenge some of his previous statements.

i’v got four kids in their twenties.  I’ve tried to imagine them being this gullible and really can’t.  My general rule of thumb is that people you know only thorough the internet are not actual relationships so a skeptical attitude and a lot of salt are probably wise precautions.  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

15 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Same.  I expect the doc to make him look fairly good though.  He possibly got paid for his cooperation and has been rumored to have had some creative control.  Not really expecting Untold to ask tough questions or challenge his sanitized version of events.  He was going to cooperate with an ESPN story on the incident, but backed out at the least minute, either because the Netflix deal came along or because he got cold feet when he realized the producer putting together the episode intended to challenge some of his previous statements.

i’v got four kids in their twenties.  I’ve tried to imagine them being this gullible and really can’t.  My general rule of thumb is that people you know only thorough the internet are not actual relationships so a skeptical attitude and a lot of salt are probably wise precautions.  

Yeah,  it isn't like Te'o was one of those lonely dudes in Catfish,  who didn't have access to attractive women. He was the best player in the Notre Dame football team,  he could have found a girlfriend in campus. Having a long distance romance with someone you've never met,  when multiple women are flirting with you everyday is troubling behavior for a college age guy. That would take a level of dedication that most people do not have at that age. Then his imaginary girlfriend gets injured in an accident, finds out she has leukemia, and dies without him going to see her... because his girlfriend who he had never met thinks that he should play football no matter what. Maybe she's different than every other woman who has ever lived and thinks that football is more important than her fucking life,  but I find that hard to believe. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Yeah,  it isn't like Te'o was one of those lonely dudes in Catfish,  who didn't have access to attractive women. He was the best player in the Notre Dame football team,  he could have found a girlfriend in campus. Having a long distance romance with someone you've never met,  when multiple women are flirting with you everyday is troubling behavior for a college age guy. That would take a level of dedication that most people do not have at that age. Then his imaginary girlfriend gets injured in an accident, finds out she has leukemia, and dies without him going to see her... because his girlfriend who he had never met thinks that he should play football no matter what. Maybe she's different than every other woman who has ever lived and thinks that football is more important than her fucking life,  but I find that hard to believe. 

Were the parents aware of the “girlfriend”?  If one of my kids came to the wife and I and said “welp, the person I’m dating is dying of leukemia, but I’m not going to visit them ‘cause I have a thing”, we’d be horrified by the callousness.  Then we’d decide they needed a lesson in how to be an adult and put them on a plane or train or whatever.   

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 9:29 AM, hammerva said:

I got through two episodes of it last night and stopped when it became the boomer equivalent of a bunch of reddit online detectives trying to doxx someone they assumed was guilty.

3 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Were the parents aware of the “girlfriend”?  If one of my kids came to the wife and I and said “welp, the person I’m dating is dying of leukemia, but I’m not going to visit them ‘cause I have a thing”, we’d be horrified by the callousness.  Then we’d decide they needed a lesson in how to be an adult and put them on a plane or train or whatever.   

That's the thing,  I don't know a single person who would say,  "oh,  your girlfriend is in the hospital with leukemia? That's fucked up,  but not bad enough to miss football practice." Not the game,  he could make it back for the game,  but he wouldn't miss practice. She died, and this man didn't go to the funeral. Parents,  friends, acquaintances, complete strangers,  nobody would be OK with picking football over your dying girlfriend. Her death was on every channel,  and nobody asked a follow-up question about how he thought this shit was OK. 

There's also this sports thing where every athlete's family/friends/whatever "would want them to play".  It's what they'd want, man!  My success in athletics was the number one thing in their life! They lived for my success, why wouldn't they still want me to play even in death? IT'S WHAT THEY WOULD'VE WANTED!

On 7/12/2022 at 10:46 PM, AxB said:

Apparently HBO was looking for ages and ages to find a group of Anarchists who would actually let them film a documentary, but every time they tried, the Anarchists told them to fuck off with their stupid cameras. And then the one group that said "Yes, you can film us" was a bunch of AnCaps. Who don't actually believe in Anarchy, just unrestrained capitalism.

Basically, Libertarians, only Libertarians who are scared of the label because of the first syllable.

Both anarchists and Libertarians are right wing movements who claim not to be right wing but hope you won't ask any followup questions. 

• Like 2