DVDVR Message Board

ALL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

hammerva

Not So Pretty

About the horseshit that goes into beauty products (not literally... well maybe literally)

Narrated by Keke Palmer

The Directors are the folks who did The Invisible War

This started streaming a couple of weeks ago and I did think it was ever mentioned here (possibly in the Sports Folder)

Tony Hawk: Until the Wheels Fall Off

On 4/14/2022 at 1:03 PM, RIPPA said:

Our Father

Add this to the list of things that will make you angry

And here I thought that Delivery Man was supposed to be a comedy.   I will most certainly seek out something to break after watching this.

In the 90s there was a similar scandal that was turned into a Lifetime movie called The Babymaker starring George Dzundza. I’m pretty sure that’s how I learned about fertility clinics. SNL even did a sketch with John Goodman as that doctor where a judge sentenced him to star in a sitcom with all 75 of his children.

Man the TNT documentary on Gone Gone Wild is the absolute definition of "this aged horribly".   While I never got the DVDs and good thing I did because apparently when you did you were basically stuck for life on that shit ;  I would be lying if college me had no interest in this stuff.  The bad part is even if we knew the incredibly creepy shit he did to get this footage at the time , I am not sure his celebrity would have been hurt by it.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Spring Awakening: Those You've Known

Doc about the 15th Anniversary of Spring Awakening which includes the original cast reuniting

Hits HBO Max on May 3

Gonna just assume they're gonna gloss over the part where Lea psychologically tortured the other women on Glee because she was a "Broadway star".  

On 4/5/2022 at 10:49 AM, hammerva said:

Watching the MLB Network documentary on Don Mattingly and wait there is a documentary in movie theatres on Nolan Ryan?   Sign me the fuck up. I think it debuts in May

Here is the trailer for the Nolan Ryan doc

Facing Nolan

• 2 weeks later...

Halftime

The over arching premise is Jennifer Lopez preparation for doing the 2021 Super Bowl Halftime show but based on the trailer it is half that and half just documentary on Jennifer Lopez

Watched both parts of the George Carlin documentary and it is definitely must watch.   I knew that Carlin had a long career but I didn't know he was doing standup as far back as early 60's with John F Kennedy in the crowd at one of them.  Showing how he had to reinvent himself twice (once because he wanted to and once because he had to because people in the late 70's/early 80's thought he was done) was great.  The two main highlights for me was George Carlin's brother who is almost more George than George at some times.  Sad that apparently he died this year.   And a video montage at the very end where it was Carlin talking about the American Dream and all the bullshit tied to it sometimes and just showing this montage of the last 5 - 10 years that just further proves how right a lot of what he was saying.    

• Like 1

Moonage Daydream

David Bowie doc that is being screened at Cannes right now

Directed by Brett Morgen (Jane, Kid Stays in the Picture, Cobain: Montage of Heck)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The Last Movie Stars

Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward's family approached Ethan Hawke about doing a documentary on the Newman/Woodward. Basically, Paul Newman at one point thought about writing a memoir, so he recorded tons and tons and tons of thoughts, etc... but then he changed his mind and burned all the tapes. However, the tapes were fully transcribed first. So Hawke has gotten folks to read the transcript somewhat like a play.

George Clooney will be voicing Paul Newman

Laura Linney will be voicing Joanne Woodward

(There are plenty of other names too)

It will be a 6 part series. Based on the trailer - it appears of a lot of this was filmed during lockdown as its a lot of Zoom phone calls.

Wanna see a documentary where you'll really, really hate everyone involved.  (Including the documentarians)

THE ANARCHISTS

6 part series now available on HBO Max.   

Apparently HBO was looking for ages and ages to find a group of Anarchists who would actually let them film a documentary, but every time they tried, the Anarchists told them to fuck off with their stupid cameras. And then the one group that said "Yes, you can film us" was a bunch of AnCaps. Who don't actually believe in Anarchy, just unrestrained capitalism.

Basically, Libertarians, only Libertarians who are scared of the label because of the first syllable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1