DVDVR Message Board

ALL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

hammerva

SEVERIN FILMS OPTIONS KEREKES AND SLATER’S ESSENTIAL “KILLING FOR CULTURE” FOR DOCUMENTARY ADAPTATION; KIER-LA JANISSE TO DIRECT

Kier-La Janisse just announced on her site that she would be directing a documentary adaption of Killing for Culture, about mondo and death films.

She also directed the folk horror documentary Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched and curated Severin's folk horror set, as well as the recently released Black Emanuelle box set.

• Like 2

That We Are the World doc is a blast. Didn’t expect to laugh that much. Lionel Richie telling stories about writing at Michael Jackson’s house was the best. 

QUIET ON SET: THE DARK SIDE OF KIDS TV

Investigation Discovery does a deep dive on Dan Schneider, the 90's Nickelodeon shows he made... and all the horrible stuff that went on there.

Two night premiere on March 17 & 18.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

STEVE! (martin) - a documentary in 2 pieces

“Steve Martin is one of the most beloved and enigmatic figures in entertainment,” the official synopsis reads. “STEVE! (martin) a documentary in 2 pieces dives into his extraordinary story from two distinct points of view, with companion documentaries that feature never-before-seen footage and raw insights into Steve’s personal and professional trials and triumphs. ‘Then’ chronicles Steve Martin’s early struggles and meteoric rise to revolutionize standup before walking away at 35. ‘Now’ focuses on the present day, with Steve Martin in the golden years of his career, retracing the transformation that led to happiness in his art and personal life.”

Directed by Morgan Neville (20 Feet Stardom, Won't You Be My Neighbor?)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/8/2024 at 2:06 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

QUIET ON SET: THE DARK SIDE OF KIDS TV

Investigation Discovery does a deep dive on Dan Schneider, the 90's Nickelodeon shows he made... and all the horrible stuff that went on there.

Two night premiere on March 17 & 18.

Started watching the first episode and we aren't even 5 minutes into this and we can tell them this is going to be brutal and horrifying.  We knew that Dan had a foot fetish but holy fuck the Ariana Grande thing.   I have to wonder what parents who watched this show with their kids were thinking with these obvious sexual references meant for adults and what they think now.

I am sure that there were a ton of other issues but after watching the first episode, you can kinda see why Amanda Bynes was so bad shit crazy for a period of time.   Man did she go through some things and saw a ton of shit on the Amanda show.

The worst parts of this is that they were so evil that they were able to turned sons and daughter against their own parents just to make sure the parents didn't see what was going on and get control.   The Drake Bell situation perfectly describes this.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Thanks 2

Started a free trial of Night Flight Plus (don't think I will keep it but it's not terrible) and finally watched The Decline of Western Civilization Part III. I had a bootleg of it for years but never watched it. I'm a huge fan of the first two. The music was less interesting here but the story about the kids was the hook. A real bummer of a movie in many ways. 

Yeah, just a bummer. No fun there. It was good that Penelope ended up being a foster mother because of that, but she should have been in the Bay Area at Gilman right then. I know it wouldn't have fit the LA theme, but that was all LA had by that point in time, and it's sad.

There has always been the complaint that Penelope was only out after the dark side of things, even gave Darby and his friend drugs to keep/get them up in the morning which I think has to be true, exploited someone as bad off as Chris Holmes was right then... and it's valid. I love those first two movies but that is some dark side shit, funny as it may be. You knew that in two years the singer of Odin wasn't gonna be in a hot tub, he was gonna be dead in a hotel room or working a job bagging groceries. Mike the Marine was gonna be in jail and Darby was gonna be OD'd and she could have focused on anything else, but that's what we got. 

• Like 1

A couple of doc's that I hadn't seen mentioned but are coming very soon...

ENTER THE CLONES OF BRUCE

Documents the rise of Bruce Lee clones that came out after his untimely death.

• Like 6

KIM'S VIDEO

Releases April 5th

The most famous video store in New York.  Basically if you couldn't find it anywhere else, it was there.... either legally or via bootleg.  And when stores were closing around the country, how the Sicilian mafia (definitely didn't) cause the entire collection to disappear.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

A couple of doc's that I hadn't seen mentioned but are coming very soon...

ENTER THE CLONES OF BRUCE

Documents the rise of Bruce Lee clones that came out after his untimely death.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that the Bruceploitation fillms often have decent action because they were peppered with people like Lo Lieh, Phillip Ko Fei and Michael Chan doing work between bigger movies for Shaw Brothers and the like.

Of the guys shown, Bruce Li was probably the best.  Dragon Lee was too short to be a believable Bruce but he was ripped. Bruce Le was in Inframan! Bruce Liang/Leung was so fondly remembered (for various things) that Stephen Chow used him as the baddie in Kung Fu Hustle. I'm not sure why there is a clip of Heroes of the East in there.

• Like 1

Some of the Nise Bruce movies have been showing up on Dish once in awhile. Fun stuff. 

Any time someone tells you the Mafia doesn't exist, either in X place or at all, you know beyond a shadow of a doubt it is running rampant 😄

5 hours ago, lostinube said:

One thing I've noticed over the years is that the Bruceploitation fillms often have decent action because they were peppered with people like Lo Lieh, Phillip Ko Fei and Michael Chan doing work between bigger movies for Shaw Brothers and the like.

Of the guys shown, Bruce Li was probably the best.  Dragon Lee was too short to be a believable Bruce but he was ripped. Bruce Le was in Inframan! Bruce Liang/Leung was so fondly remembered (for various things) that Stephen Chow used him as the baddie in Kung Fu Hustle. I'm not sure why there is a clip of Heroes of the East in there.

The American Genre Film Archive has a restored copy of the craziest one, "The Dragon Lives Again." I haven't seen the restoration yet but keep hoping to find a screening since I doubt it'll ever make disc. 

Also, TNT was showing "Quiet on the Set" last night. Rough stuff to watch as I grew up on All That and was a big fan of Drake and Josh's buddy comedy formula. I turned it off after the Drake Bell episode as I just couldn't take much more. Some of the stuff didn't seem so bad, out of context, but added up, it builds the case of just how messed up those sets were. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDSq2fF9flk

Mike Wallace Is Here

I caught almost all of this last night. Growing up, me and the folks always watched 60 Minutes. I always looked at it as the "smart" TV, that should be watched, and gave great credence and respect to the old people that interviewed on it -- Morley Safer, Ed Bradley. Their voices doing the intros even are etched into my brain. I must know how people felt about Cronkite, even Carson, etc. (who were pretty much out by the time I showed up). They just seemed like the smartest, especially Mike Wallace, who seemed like the main dude that they'd give all the heavy hitters to. So watching this for me was a treat. Had no idea about his past as a pitchman, which had to eat into his very soul like acid; finding his kid dead at the bottom of a Grecian cliff (possibly of suicide) then burying him while cameras film; himself attempting suicide via pills and getting caught by his wife. He was just so honest. He was the kind of guy who couldn't not say what was in his head, as you discover. Other people would have (and probably did) put together that Putin could understand every word of English he was speaking and say nothing; Wallace just spit it out to him right there on the air as if he'd had a revelation to share with the world, and it immediately let the pure evil of the man shine like the sun as he wished the people of America well in their own language. He made the Ayatollah Khomeini give what amounted to a fatwah (or death sentence) on air, which was then carried out! The guy was not afraid of sticking his foot in his mouth. He did not give a fuck. It was for the greater good. And he did what, even though I am an atheist, I regard as "the Lord's work". 

This will give you even greater respect for the man if you knew him from his history on television or will give you a glimpse of one of the greats at work whether you have or not. Highest recommendation. 

EDIT: Of course this is also a murderer's row of interviewees and there are some real gems on here. The simple question of how much Manuel Noriega makes has him pull a face that just tells you we're feeding this man a fortune in drug money. He gets Carson -- because Carson trusts him -- to admit on TV for the world to see that there are two Johnny Carsons. He lists damn near every single crime of the Nixon administration directly to Ehrlichman, who has a pithy, sarcastic one-line response I can't recall that sums up everything about him and his crew. And Nixon loved Mike! He wanted him to be his press secretary! Amazing.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1