DVDVR Message Board

ALL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

hammerva

20 hours ago, Mister TV said:

I would have turned 25 a few weeks before Woodstock 99, so I was in the age range of most of the crowd but I never liked Nu-Metal, Metallica and Rage Against the Machine and hated their jock/frat boy/teen who's angry at a step-parent fanbase, so I had no desire to goto Woodstock 99 or watch any of it on MTV.

Is there a larger disconnect from reality than Rage Against the Machine and their fanbase?  Seriously, remember when Paul Ryan claimed that RATM was his favorite band, without any recognition to the fact that he is literally the machine that they were raging against?  There can't be another band who has a fanbase filled with the exact people they hate more than Rage Against the Machine.

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

And man, Ron Artest/Metta World Peace is just... weird. Like I know he's got mental issues but he just comes off like a real odd duck. 

The most interesting part of the Ron Artest story is that he realized at every step that he wasn't equipped to deal with the fame and pressure of being a professional basketball player, but he had no other place to go.  He tried multiple times to walk away, but what other opportunities did he have to make the kind of money he made in the NBA.  He would have ended up back in the Queensbridge Projects.  He was interviewed in an obviously beautiful home, and basketball is the only way he was going to get it.

Yeah, he was caught between a rock and a hard place, I feel bad for him. He seems like an honest and open guy despite all these difficulties and should be praised for that. Strange (or maybe not?) coincidence that the Quiet Storm doc about him is airing at the same time as the Netflix piece. I saw a bit of it the other night and should watch the whole thing.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:15 AM, supremebve said:

Is there a larger disconnect from reality than Rage Against the Machine and their fanbase?  Seriously, remember when Paul Ryan claimed that RATM was his favorite band, without any recognition to the fact that he is literally the machine that they were raging against?  There can't be another band who has a fanbase filled with the exact people they hate more than Rage Against the Machine.

Tom Morello et al will never turn down a dollar. Or a show at some venue sponsored by some banking conglomerate that uses some ticket monopoly. They are the biggest hypocrites possible and know exactly who buys their music and sees their shows. (And my least favorite band ever.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Tom Morello et al will never turn down a dollar. Or a show at some venue sponsored by some banking conglomerate that uses some ticket monopoly. They are the biggest hypocrites possible and know exactly who buys their music and sees their shows. (And my least favorite band ever.)

Let me tell you about this band called The Clash...

• Like 1

The Dandy Warhols popped up on my Spotify feed the other day, that made me want to watch some clips from Dig! on Youtube, and that lead to me just re-watching the whole thing. For those who never heard of it Dig! is a documentary by Ondi Timoner that follows The Dandy Warhols and The Brian Jonestown Massacre over 7 years, both bands ended up knocking it since it doesn't show them in a good light but it seems like they could have looked way worse. The main angle of the doc is one band becoming successful The Dandy Warhols and The Brian Jonestown Massacre mainly their lead singer/leader Anton Newcombe self-destructing, at points you think your watching a hysterical parody with the onstage fights between The Brian Jonestown Massacre, the super energetic young A&R guy who think it's so easy when he signed the Massacre, and the Dandy's video shoot and aftermath with David LaChapelle. It was a good counter balance to the Woodstock 99 doc since they were bands from that lost era following grunge and before the Nu-Metal stuff steamrolled everything.

• Like 1

Netflix just premiered Bob Ross: Happy Accidents, Betrayal, and Greed yesterday. I'd post a trailer but it just gives the date and says that a trailer cannot be posted, which is both a swerve and a teaser. It's very good, an effective love letter to the man himself and a bit of a revelatory discovery of parts of his private life that were very private -- and we get the feeling that there's still another couple layers of privacy that they don't even pinprick. His cancer diagnosis is extremely sad, and then they get into the legal proceedings and you will become extremely angry if you have any heart at all. I hope this was a bit of an exorcism for his son who is here throughout (and is the spitting image of younger, glasses period Bob) and for the dozen or so people contacted for the doc who had to decline involvement for fear of lawsuit. 

The latest Untold documentary about the Danbury Trashers UHL hockey team called "Crimes and Penalties" is the most insane sports documentary I have seen in years.   Jimmy Galante is a notorious crime boss with a ton of money and power and gives his 17 year old son a new minor league hockey team.   This kid is like the stereotypical Limp Bizkit fan hoped up on hockey and wrestling with all these mob connections.  Turns this team with complete thugs and massively overpaid stars getting into massive fights .   The top guy in this is this equipment manager who is legit scarier than Jimmy.    And the city absolutely loves them and their style.  Complete with a group of fans that make Eagles fans look nice.  And you have this commissioner who absolutely despises all of this but can't do anything really about it because he is literally fighting the mob.

The other side thing that was so funny was that Jimmy was so mobbed up that he gave his son a WWE birthday and brought the Rock, Triple H, Chyna, and Billy Gunn with them.    

On 8/26/2021 at 3:01 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Netflix just premiered Bob Ross: Happy Accidents, Betrayal, and Greed yesterday. I'd post a trailer but it just gives the date and says that a trailer cannot be posted, which is both a swerve and a teaser. It's very good, an effective love letter to the man himself and a bit of a revelatory discovery of parts of his private life that were very private -- and we get the feeling that there's still another couple layers of privacy that they don't even pinprick. His cancer diagnosis is extremely sad, and then they get into the legal proceedings and you will become extremely angry if you have any heart at all. I hope this was a bit of an exorcism for his son who is here throughout (and is the spitting image of younger, glasses period Bob) and for the dozen or so people contacted for the doc who had to decline involvement for fear of lawsuit. 

I've been really wanting to watch this. We recently got a Samsung TV and there's a Bob Ross channel on it. It just straight up shows nothing but episodes of The Joy of Painting. When we turn off an app or anything, it's on, so we end up just leaving it on. Myself and my wife and kids have become obsessed with Ross. We may take a trip to Muncie soon to check out the Bob Ross Experience.

You need to watch the documentary first. It pains me to tell you this but I think it will definitely turn you off of giving any kind of funds to Bob Ross, Inc. It makes me wonder what kind of deal they have with PBS, Samsung, etc. because that money is definitely not going where it belongs. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 9:11 PM, hammerva said:

The latest Untold documentary about the Danbury Trashers UHL hockey team called "Crimes and Penalties" is the most insane sports documentary I have seen in years.   Jimmy Galante is a notorious crime boss with a ton of money and power and gives his 17 year old son a new minor league hockey team.   This kid is like the stereotypical Limp Bizkit fan hoped up on hockey and wrestling with all these mob connections.  Turns this team with complete thugs and massively overpaid stars getting into massive fights .   The top guy in this is this equipment manager who is legit scarier than Jimmy.    And the city absolutely loves them and their style.  Complete with a group of fans that make Eagles fans look nice.  And you have this commissioner who absolutely despises all of this but can't do anything really about it because he is literally fighting the mob.

The other side thing that was so funny was that Jimmy was so mobbed up that he gave his son a WWE birthday and brought the Rock, Triple H, Chyna, and Billy Gunn with them.    

If only there was someone on these boards who actually worked for the team...

You want a fun fact: When Winger gave that gutless punk Elzinga the ass kicking he deserved he attempted to give him a shoot pedigree.

Another: The night they had John Cena show up to promote a local house show was the infamous Chad Wagner game where he bolted out of the penalty box and attacked Adirondack coach Mark Potvin. I was in 102 and when he came skating towards the bench it was like the parting of the Red Sea.

The documentary was a Trashers version of Rise And Fall of ECW in that it was just incredible and brought back so many incredible memories.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 6:11 PM, hammerva said:

Such a remarkable collection of trash (har har) human beings in one movie. It's the car crash that just never stops. 

I watched the doc just now. They're wrong in that Jimmy Galante was Tony Soprano. In fact, he was Dick Barone, the supposedly clean frontman; Matty "the Horse" Ianello was Tony. Jimmy also has a strange resemblance to Kane Hodder. 

On 8/31/2021 at 8:11 PM, hammerva said:

And you have this commissioner who absolutely despises all of this but can't do anything really about it because he is literally fighting the mob.

He was sure happy when they started winning though... or maybe when he realized they were making money hand over fist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I watched the doc just now. They're wrong in that Jimmy Galante was Tony Soprano. In fact, he was Dick Barone, the supposedly clean frontman; Matty "the Horse" Ianello was Tony. Jimmy also has a strange resemblance to Kane Hodder. 

He was sure happy when they started winning though... or maybe when he realized they were making money hand over fist. 

I finished the doc up at lunchtime and was going to post the same thing about the Galante's being more like the Barone's than the Soprano's. It seems like Galante made things really easy for the FBI, they should have just named the team the Money Launderers since it was so obvious that's why he bought the team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm thinking there's a roughly 98% chance that the commish was on the Galante payroll.

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

I'm thinking there's a roughly 98% chance that the commish was on the Galante payroll.

I think there's a 100% chance you have no idea what you are talking about.

14 hours ago, sabremike said:

I think there's a 100% chance you have no idea what you are talking about.

There's certainly that.  But, sure, the commish totally changed his mind about what a "sweet guy" the Gallantes are, never once did a lick of research on them, and so on?  OK...

33 minutes ago, Tabe said:

There's certainly that.  But, sure, the commish totally changed his mind about what a "sweet guy" the Gallantes are, never once did a lick of research on them, and so on?  OK...

The reason things got better was that the second season there was considerably less craziness than the first (really the only crazy game the second season was the Winger revenge game).

52 minutes ago, Tabe said:

They didn't need to pay the commissioner off, the UHL was the lowest rung of minor league hockey and most teams were in the red before a puck was dropped, he was happy that Danbury had some money behind it and was not going to question where it came from.

17 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The reason things got better was that the second season there was considerably less craziness than the first (really the only crazy game the second season was the Winger revenge game).

I will give them credit - for all the brawling nonsense, it certainly seemed like AJ Galante wanted to be good at his job and tried.  They did a good job of putting together a good team (both years).

• Like 2

Went and watched Deal with the Devil last night/this morning, another of the Untold episodes. Even though I'm a lapsed fan of boxing I had no idea about this story. It's really incredible that most of it, with its brutal sexism and homophobia took place not in the '80s or '90s but the early 2000s. Things have changed so fast and so soon in this country... at least somewhat. The shit that poor, gaslit Christy Martin had come out of her mouth would have her cancelled in an instant nowadays. Mike Tyson also has a moment of self-reflectiveness that is maybe more telling than anything in his live standup film. And Martin's husband, master liar, comes off like the personification of evil. I half expected him to take off his human mask to reveal the face of a demon. 

Well, the Rick James doc from Showtime is of course great. Mass Appeal did it so of course it's done up right. It is really, really focused on the music side of things, down to having producers in the studio taking apart the classic songs like on the Classic Albums series that AXSTV airs. I've never heard the Mynah Birds before, his band with Neil Young, and they were fantastic. It also underlined just how long it took him to hit the big time; he was in the brig for going AWOL for four years and been through probably dozens of bands before the Stone City Band finally brought it all together. And of course, they get into the dark side -- and he did that shit -- and it's sad because despite his sexual proclivities which were pretty dark (one band member even says he would set up orgies and just watch, that he wouldn't have sex with someone he didn't trust and he didn't trust anybody) and his drug addiction he was a good, highly intelligent, highly talented man who was actually very helpful to women's careers when he was active, and straight up fought MTV over their racism.

Make sure to stick around through and after the credits if you watch it too for some extra stuff.

• Like 1