DVDVR Message Board

ALL PURPOSE DOCUMENTARY THREAD

hammerva

Cullen Hoback did an AMA today

The question about focusing on Q's identity came up, I pulled these from a couple different of his responses:

Really appreciate the feedback! I was blown away by a handful of critics suggesting that who Q is no longer matters. Meanwhile, I know of journalists at most major outlets still on the case. In fact, "It doesn't matter who Q is" is a QAnon talking point. But I found deep down, all QAnons wanted to know the truth. Fortunately, it seems audiences are getting the series. So whatever fears certain critics projected, they appear to be misguided.

Some of the reaction reminds me of Harry Potter, where people accepted that you simply don’t say Voldemort’s name. But saying Voldemort's name takes power away. I disagree with the worldview that we need to protect audiences from so-called dangerous ideas or people. As we’ve seen, the anti-septic of sunlight isn’t all that flattering.

The series also aims to show the mechanics behind Q. There had been attempts to attack, censor, ignore--so I simply tried something different: Showing it for what it is. But I understand your arguments and I think there's a lot of great coverage on the philosophical underpinnings.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2021 at 11:43 AM, Mister TV said:

I watched this last night! First as someone who worked at a Blockbuster from 1993 to 1996, I don't have the same fond memories as everyone in this doc. I really saw the worst in people when I worked there, the way people would react to having to pay a few bucks for late fees, not having the movie they wanted or not renting enough movies for a Bonus Box was sad, I was called anti-Semitic slurs(I'm not Jewish but olive skinned) on multiple occasions and had to call the cops a few times due to customers making a scene over something trivial. Then there was the management chain of command, my first store manager was cool and ok with us college kids doing school work on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights, his replacement was a major league asshole who would only work morning/afternoon shifts, then the regional and district managers were a parade of mediocre white men who were out of touch with what type of business they were involved in, they were always baffled at our massive video game rental numbers. The store I worked at made me an Assistant Manager when I was friggin 19! They would have Assistant Managers close on Friday or Saturday nights and we'd have over $10,000 in cash at the end of the night, sure we were in a suburb without that much crime but that's a lot of cash, we had no security cameras, no security guard with that much cash around, no drop safe kind of thing like 7-11, just a safe with a push button lock and our wits to thwart being murdered by a robber. Also no armored car picked up the money, we had to drive it to the bank ourselves.

I have a cousin who lives in Bend and also owns some AirBnB's, it's pretty much a year round tourist destination, I can see them just getting by with the meager profit they make on rentals($3.99 for new releases), selling the old rental discs, sales of snacks, and Last Blockbuster merch.

I worked at a "mom and pop" video store in the late-90's.  I dealt with a lot of the stuff you describe, but had it easier.  See, we were the only rental store in about a three or four-town radius.  If you wanted to rent a movie/game without driving 30-45 minutes, we were your only option.  So, when someone got shitty about their late fee, our manager would just say, "Cool.  We'll delete your account."  They always came around really fast.  God, that was the best job I ever had.  I got to work with friends, it was a two-minute walk from home and we often got drunk and/or high at closing time.  Hell, sometimes the owner provided the alcohol.  He knew we were underage, he just didn't care.

God, I could go on about that job forever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Prey Obey Kill

5 part documentary 

On Jan. 10, 2004, gunshots rang out across the remote Swedish village of Knutby, home to a small, tight-knit Pentecostal congregation. A young woman was murdered in her bed and her neighbor suffered multiple gunshot wounds. The case gained instant notoriety worldwide several days later when the victim's 26-year-old nanny confessed, claiming she was told to commit the acts of violence through a series of text messages from God.

Attention soon turned towards the community and the Pentecostal sect's mysterious leader, known as “The Bride of Christ," who exerted an increasingly powerful pull over her congregation. Eventually, a scandalous love triangle emerged along with details of another suspicious death that had occurred years before. The ensuing court case became an international sensation.

• Like 1

So basically everyone in "Why did you Kill Me?" is unlikable as hell.  Or just me?

By the way except for probably Dahmer and the maybe the DC Sniper has every major serial killer now had a long documentary on a streaming service?  I mean even Manson had a long ass one on EPIX 

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

By the way except for probably Dahmer and the maybe the DC Sniper has every major serial killer now had a long documentary on a streaming service?  I mean even Manson had a long ass one on EPIX 

The Jeffrey Dahmer files is available via DirecTV and AMC+

Jeffrey Dahmer: Mind of a Monster is available on Discovery+

Vice has I, Sniper which was supposed to come out last year but I don't know if it ever did (the VICE website just has a trailer that says "Coming Soon")

• 2 weeks later...

Summer of Soul

Basically new footage of the 1969 Harlem Festival 

This is what aired during the Oscars last night

Directed by Ahmir Thompson aka Questlove

In theaters and Hulu on July 2

• Like 2

Not sure if this would be considered a "documentary" and maybe this is something only fat people are intrigued by there is an interesting Youtube video  explaining why the Ice Cream machine at the McDonalds really sucks at working.   There is apparently a web site that tracks that almost 15% of the machines in the US don't work at some time.  The process on why these thing fails and how basically there is only one group of people who can fix them at a cost that just screws the McDonalds franchise is something.

• Like 1

Happened to find the full documentary Salad Days, about the Washington D.C. '80s and '90s hardcore punk scene, in full on Youtube. It's a fine little doc centering as the whole scene did on Dischord Records. I've long known most of the story but drawing deeper into the so-called "Revolution Summer" was pretty interesting. Probably the most interesting inside story is Ian Mackaye letting it be known that Ahmet Ertegun from Atlantic Records offered him and Fugazi "Mick Jagger's deal". Which was probably a million dollars. And Ian turned him down, of course. 

That led me to this, which I don't recall seeing before: a full extra hour of the American Hardcore doc. The book it's based off is great; the doc is pretty basic but also pretty bitter. I think this stuff might be more interesting. (For the most bitter punk roc doc ever watch You Weren't There about the Chicago scene. I love Chicago punk but man, there didn't seem to be a nice person in the whole movie. Well, maybe the guys from Rights of the Accused, because they have a sense of humor.)

On 4/28/2021 at 3:26 PM, hammerva said:

Not sure if this would be considered a "documentary" and maybe this is something only fat people are intrigued by there is an interesting Youtube video  explaining why the Ice Cream machine at the McDonalds really sucks at working.   There is apparently a web site that tracks that almost 15% of the machines in the US don't work at some time.  The process on why these thing fails and how basically there is only one group of people who can fix them at a cost that just screws the McDonalds franchise is something.

I just read this last week: https://www.wired.com/story/they-hacked-mcdonalds-ice-cream-makers-started-cold-war/

I'm guessing the video is the same story.

The article is fascinating, by the way!

Edited by Log

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to be completely pissed off watching a documentary then the HBO new docu series "The Crime of the Century" will do that for you.  It basically shows the history of Oxycontin and Fentanyl which is responsible for most of the opioid crisis we are dealing with now, the people who made millions off of it, and the people who did everything possible to make sure they would get away with it.    The story of Gary Blinn was basically used as a test dummy to see how much you can take before it really messes you up is stunning.

• Like 1

HBO's The Truth About Killer Robots may be the most unintentionally unsettling thing I've seen in a while.  It is awesome how the movie continually revisits Asimov's Three Laws and drives home the fact that humans cannot seem to balance efficiency and ethics whether it comes to climate or machines.

The Chinese engineer and his robot "girlfriend" must be seen to be believed.

Edited by J.T.

Fall River is pretty awesome, but be warned it is not a documentary for kids.  There is stock footage of rituals performed during Anton LeVay's black masses so there is a bit of nudity there from women that should probably remain clothed.  It is not good booty.

Part One covers the actual murders while the second episode briefly, but thoroughly, covers the era of Satanic Panic and it shows that the Satanic Panic lives on to this very day in the form of QAnon.

It's interesting to see how the prosecution used Satanism to paint Carl Drew as a boogeyman.  Dude definitely needed to locked up for something, but maybe not murder.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished watching all of Fall River.  A fascinating and tragic tale of people that deserve to be in jail for something, but maybe not the thing they are in jail for.

Edited by J.T.