DVDVR Message Board

2021 HORROR MOVIES

J.T.

Well, now.  Episode 2 of Yellowjackets finally gets to the fateful plane crash and is starting to explore the dynamics between the girls on the team.  There is plenty of gore to go around.

Misty (played by Christina Ricci as an adult and the brilliant Sammi Hanratty as a child) is batshit crazy, who knew?

Spoiler

It turns out that the reason it takes so long for authorities to find the team is that Misty smashes the flight recorder.  Misty is the DUFF of the team, but her EMT skills turn her into a superhero when she tends to the wounded after the crash.  Naturally she does not want to relinquish this role and acts accordingly.

The surviving Yellowjackets are the biggest collection of hot messes ever.  It's a pretty fun show to watch.

If I am not in a food coma, I'll try to go see Resident Evil tonight.  

Edited by J.T.

I forgot to mention something I figured out about the Phibes movies this morning: they are really Saw films for the '70s crowd. Everything is tongue-in-cheek but it's still people getting locked into hopeless traps getting murdered. They were clearly slasher movies before slasher movies (look at Price's Theatre of Blood for another example) but definitely Saw movies before Saw. 

• Like 2

I did not make it to the movies last night.  The food coma was too overpowering and Cowboys - Raiders was compelling television.. 

I'll try to catch an early matinee of RE on Saturday if I am not overcome by laziness and stay home to play GreedFall or Guardians of the Galaxy or decide to take in the Butcher Brown concert at the Camel on Saturday night.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

If you want to get your Black Christmas on early this year it's running on Comet. I don't know how many airings it'll be but worth looking into. 

EDIT: It's On Demand on Dish ($) and on Comet again Monday, 8 AM Central. 

It is also on in its uncensored glory on Peacock, Pluto TV, Tubi, XUMO, and probably more services.

• Like 1

Yellowjackets continues to be pretty awesome.  I am not so much interested in the adults solving the mystery about who is stalking them than I am about learning more about the ongoing saga of the cheerleaders decent into madness and cannibalism.

I cannot tell if Karyn Kusama is supporting feminism or satirizing it. 

On the one hand, there is the idea that girls know when to abandon male-driven societal norms in favor of the survival of the greater group (ie. If Lord of the Flies had been about women, they'd all be Hunters) and on the other hand, there is the implication that things will go batshit simply because women are capable of being more vicious than men, are naturally catty and competitive with one another, and cannot get along with each other.

It is interesting to see how paranoia is slowly destroying the lives of the adults, except for batshit crazy Misty who has fully embraced her inner crazy.

The late 90's soundtrack is also pretty awesome.

Edited by J.T.

I didn't think there was anything to cut out of Black Christmas but I think there was a corpse reveal quickly cut at one point, then again usually they just blur stuff on Comet and it could have been a choice that Bob Clark made. I haven't seen it in awhile. 

I watched the opening credits of Yellowjackets and that was freaky enough. I still haven't decided whether I'm too far in to bother watching but it's been recording. Dexter I've watched scraps of, the last episode I saw a good chunk and shit is really hitting the fan next episode. At this point I think I've followed enough and might go all in and watch everything. 

EDIT: Shit, I have all five episodes of Yellowjackets recorded and none of Dexter? 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Okay..  Yellowjackets is starting to freak me out.

Spoiler

Supernatural elements are now in play.  The girls preformed a mock seance to try to communicate with the spirit of the hunter that they found dead in the lodge apparently possessed the body of one of the Yellowjackets and chaos reigned.

The story of the adults is not as compelling, but it is still interesting to see how the bad shit that happened in the woods continues to plague them.  The more I see how crazy the lives of the adult Yellowjackets are, it just makes me want to see more about how the girls devolved into a tribe of cannibals.

Shauna turning the tables on her daughter's attempt at blackmail was fucking awesome, though.

Edited by J.T.

They fucking better have it on again. There was one airing last week and no future showings listed. 

BTW, their documentaries have been as good as Attica and the DMX one recently. The ones on Ricky Powell and Music Box are great, and there's one on train graffiti artists called Rolling Like Thunder listed. 

On 12/15/2021 at 10:47 PM, Curt McGirt said:

They fucking better have it on again. There was one airing last week and no future showings listed. 

It's been on a few times.  It's coming on tonight @ 9:35PM EDT right after the debut of IT COMES AT NIGHT~!  Soon the entire A24 horror catalog should be rotating in and out of SHO OnDemand.

Rawhead Rex is pretty bad even for an ogre movie and it totally misses the point of the short story.  That being said, I don't think you could've made a faithful adaptation of Rawhead Rex back then (or even now) and not earned an NC-17 rating.  

https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Clive-Barker-s-Rawhead-Rex

This is really the perfect visual adaptation of the story. I think if they could animate it or do a live action version it would work, except it would miss Barker's prose unless you had a voiceover, which... well, it'd be weird, but might work? It is a story with long beats of no dialogue so kind of hard to do anyway. 

And you wanna talk NC-17, that is also so NSFW you should probably be spanked if you do read it there. 

• Like 1

Holy fuck, dudes.  Yellowjackets is getting serious.

Spoiler

One of the girls (Shauna) is probably pregnant with the kid of her best friend's boyfriend.   They are married in the adult plotline, but it is hard to tell if the child she is having as a teen is her daughter in the adult part.  Shauna just attempted to abort her baby and didn't go through with it.

Lots of wild shit is going on.  Misty totally scares the shit out of me.

Edited by J.T.