3. Halloween (1978).

4. Let the Right One In (2008).

5. Shaun of the Dead (2004).

6. Dawn of the Dead (1978).

7. Psycho (1960).

8. Scream (1996).

9. The Exorcist (1973).

10. The Blair Witch Project (1999).

Zombies are my favourite horror villains.

On 11/1/2021 at 7:02 PM, New Blood said:

Here are my Top 100 favorite horror films.  Just to get more films in the list, I tried to keep it one film per series/franchise with one exception (Halloween III).
10. Maniac [1980]
9. Tenebre [1982]
8. Halloween [1978]
7. The Thing [1982]
6. The Exorcist [1973]
5. The Beyond [1981]
4. The Evil Dead [1981]
3. Hellbound: Hellraiser II [1988]
2. The Shining [1980]
1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [1974]

On 11/2/2021 at 4:51 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Night of the Living Dead not being an exception is not acceptable. ? Otherwise, very nice list. Your affinity for the second Hellraiser is interesting, does it have something that particularly stands out to you? 

Top ten for me is probably

NOTLD

Texas Chainsaw

Alien

Phantasm

Inferno

Maniac

The Haunting (1963)

Tales from the Crypt (1972)

The House by the Cemetery

The Fog

EDIT: Oooo, this is a downer, but I could flip The Fog for Witchfinder General. Then again you could categorize it as a period drama as much as a horror film, so The Fog would definitely win that contest. 

OR I could go "how low can you go" and say Mark of the Devil which in all honesty I probably like more than Witchfinder General. Yeah, I know I'm terrible. 

Interesting seeing our similarities and differences. Watched The Exorcist (1973) for the first time in years as it has a rare terrestrial TV showing last night. What a film, probably the horror film that scares me the most, that or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974). My revised top ten in spoiler tags for size:

Spoiler

10. The Blair Witch Project (1999).

9. Scream (1996).

8. Psycho (1960).

7. Shaun of the Dead (2004).

6. Dawn of the Dead (1978).

5. Halloween (1978).

4. Let the Right One In (2008).

3. The Exorcist (1973).

2. Night of the Living Dead (1968).

1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 12:51 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Night of the Living Dead not being an exception is not acceptable. ? Otherwise, very nice list. Your affinity for the second Hellraiser is interesting, does it have something that particularly stands out to you?

Nice list!  I really went back and forth on Night and Day.  I really love the atmosphere of Night and the pure nihilism of Day.  There's a good chance I could switch to Night when I do this list again next year to see what changes.  As for Hellraiser 2, I love how much bigger the vision of the film is compared to the first (which I almost picked as well).  It took that queasy feeling of the first and ramped it up and I love the vision of Hell in this.  It rivals that of Jigoku in my opinion.

As for not having Psycho, Seven or Silence of the Lambs is that I really like those films, I just haven't seen them in over a decade.  I need to rewatch them sometime in the next year.  How does everyone else feel about Michael Powell's Peeping Tom?  I really liked that but haven't seen it in forever as well.  I know alot of people argue that it's better than Psycho.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Peeping Tom is great IIRC but haven't seen it in a long time either. Maybe not even all the way through. Franju's Eyes Without A Face always sticks out to me as my favorite among these early B&W pre-slasher/giallo pictures. 

I got to hear Laura Mulvey discuss Peeping Tom, Hitchcock and Kane (not at same time) when she came to IU when i was a senior. She came to our Hitchcock class and then gave a lecture about CK I think in conjunction with her BFI Kane book. It’s possible my article for the paper might be online.

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 2

Watched Episode One of Dexter:  New  Blood.  Loving it so far.  Marked when he started internally monologuing to the audience again.  The silence was deafening.

Edited by J.T.

One of the great pop-culture developments of the last decade was a responsible adult informing John Carpenter that he can make money performing his film scores live. I've only seen him once but he looked like he was having a great time doing these concerts, and one of my favorite live music experiences of that year was watching him put the sunglasses on before performing his theme from They Live ?

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 8:36 PM, odessasteps said:

Just waiting to see who Bruce will be in the Dr Strange movie.

So was he playing the same character in the first three Spider-Man movies, or are they three different men who happen to closely resemble one another? He could do a triple cameo in the new Spider-Man film, either way.

I'm guessing the English language remake of Peninsula will take place on Cape Cod then?

Welcome to Raccoon City starts next weekend.  It will probably be stupid, but I don't care.  I will go see it.

I'm trying to convince myself that I need to see Ghostbusters this weekend.  It is not working.  Mostly because Finn Wolfhard's face is more punchable than Miles Teller's.

Edited by J.T.

First episode of Yellowjackets sets up a pretty fascinating mythology.  It is interesting to watch the politics and trauma of high school invade into the adult lives of these women.  I'm looking forward to finding out what really happened when the soccer team was stranded in the wild following the eventful plane crash.

Yeah, the flashbacks in the episode has already foreshadowed the whole survival by cannibalism thing, but it looks like someone is sniffing around in their past and there might be a reunion banquet in the works.

Yellowjackets is definitely some mash-up of Alive, Lord of the Flies, and God knows what else.   Karyn Kusama directed the pilot episode.  Normally her stuff is hit or miss, but she knocked this one out of the park.  She's set a pretty high bar that I hope the other directors are able to hurdle.

Edited by J.T.

Well, I woke up to Dr. Phibes Rises Again on Epix Drive-In. Owned it for years but never seen it past the first 15 minutes or so. It's extremely comparable to the first one, including

Spoiler

the end where Phibes gets away... again. And has Vincent singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"? Ooooookay...

You know, Phibes is something I should have thought of for the Horror Top Ten. Such a great movie.

• Like 1