DVDVR Message Board

2021 HORROR MOVIES

J.T.

I hate most Riceian vampire stories, but I might watch this because Grey Worm.

While the invitation was open to everyone, it was former Game of Thrones star Jacob Anderson who accepted it. The actor and rapper, perhaps best known for his performance as Grey Worm on the hit HBO show Game of Thrones, has been cast as the lead role in AMC’s upcoming adaptation of the popular Interview with the Vampire series. The network announced the big news earlier today as well as the series’ anticipated release date of 2022.

Edited by J.T.

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It got 3 1/2 * from Odie over on the Roger Ebert site. I trust it'll be 3 1/2. 

I'm taking my gorehound of a mom to go see it tomorrow.

My daughter, my usual horror road dog, just finished her first official week of college and they're doing the Student Org Day thing tomorrow.  I'm headed up there on Labor Day weekend to take her and her rommie to see Shang-Chi and they will probably worm dinner out of me as well.

Such is the life.

• Like 2

Well, Candyman is crushing it at the box office.  Theater was sold out.  I've got tickets for Monday matinee since I gave myself a long weekend after working 7 days a week on swing shift for about two weeks.  My body clock is just now adjusting to getting up early.

So.  This Candyman movie..

Spoiler

I went in blind so I had no idea that it was a direct sequel rather than a reboot.  The basic premise has plot holes you could drive a truck through and it is a little silly, but the suspense ratchets up nicely until the bitter end.

Anyone who hasn't seen the original may be scratching their heads a bit trying to figure things out.  This movie assumes you already know what's going on and it does not hold your hand.

I thought it was okay, but I was expecting a lot more.  At least it did not shy away from the blood.  There were buckets of it.

The cinematography and the score by Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe are both OUTSTANDING~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

So.  This Candyman movie..

Reveal hidden contents

I went in blind so I had no idea that it was a direct sequel rather than a reboot.  The basic premise has plot holes you could drive a truck through and it is a little silly, but the suspense ratchets up nicely until the bitter end.

Anyone who hasn't seen the original may be scratching their heads a bit trying to figure things out.  This movie assumes you already know what's going on and it does not hold your hand.

I thought it was okay, but I was expecting a lot more.  At least it did not shy away from the blood.  There were buckets of it.

The cinematography and the score by Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe are both OUTSTANDING~!

I just had to look to see if 

Spoiler

Virginia Madsen was in or not. 

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I just had to look to see if 

Reveal hidden contents

Virginia Madsen was in or not. 

To answer:

Spoiler

She is not physically in the movie as an actress, but the events of the first Candyman movie weigh heavily into the plot.  When the main character goes to research her character's involvement in the murders of the first film, there are photos of her in the file he checks out from the library of the college where Madsen's character was working on her thesis on urban legends.

Madsen also added some new dialogue in the form of recorded research notes that the main character listens to before weird shit starts happening.

Madsen is given a voice credit in the end credit roll.

Edited by J.T.

I had a blast watching it. There was a group of young women watching down a couple rows and their reactions were perfect. Also 

Spoiler

the end reveal with Tony Todd was *chef's kiss* 

I might have a different reaction without the kids there, but that'll be for the rewatch, which I'd be happy to do ASAP. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I had a blast watching it. There was a group of young women watching down a couple rows and their reactions were perfect. Also 

Reveal hidden contents

the end reveal with Tony Todd was *chef's kiss* 

I might have a different reaction without the kids there, but that'll be for the rewatch, which I'd be happy to do ASAP. 

Since you have seen it, I will offer further thoughts.

Spoiler

I remembered the whole plot in the original movie about Candyman kidnapping the baby in order to feed his legend, but the stuff about Candyman wanting to use Anthony's body to bring himself back was new.  It was interesting to see Anthony's obsession over the urban legend give Candyman the strength to manifest himself, but the whole reveal of the laundry owner purposefully planting the seed in Anthony's head was a stretch.  The laundry owner guy immediately knowing who Anthony was and the importance of his role in bringing Candyman back was a bit too convenient.

As much as I hate the concept of gentrification, not all people who live in gentrified neighborhoods are card carrying members of the Alliance of Racist Evil Doers.   I didn't really like the whole idea of bringing Candyman back to life so that his legend can grow and he an terrorize the mostly white community that lives where the hood used to be, since Candyman's essence is tied to that community.  Cultural assimilation sucks ("It's funny, They want what we can make, but they don't want us.") but I don't think it should be punishable by death, right?  Or maybe the message is that cultural assimilators should be prepared to take the bad with the good?  Who knows?

And yeah, we all lost our shit at the very end.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 7:27 AM, J.T. said:

Well, Candyman is crushing it at the box office.

It ended up doing $22.3 million domestically which was far beyond the $15 million expectations for its opening week

With a reported production budget of $25 million it is already profitable (when you toss in the modest money it made internationally)

Normally, new releases have been falling off a cliff in Week 2 but Candyman is one of the rare releases that isn't available on a streaming service too

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Control said:

What can any of y’all tell me about the WNUF Halloween Special?

I really enjoyed this film. It’s basically a faux local tv broadcast of a Halloween special of a news reporter going through a supposedly haunted house. Throughout the film has commercial breaks as if it’s an old vhs tape that was found. I really enjoyed the commercials but found them to be too repetitive. It’s a blast!  Looks like Terror Vision Films will be putting it out on blu ray next month.

• Like 1

Here are some of the horror films I’m looking forward to seeing for the first time this spooky season:

Spoiler

A Bay of Blood

American Gothic

Asylum

Beyond the Door

Dark Waters (1993)

Deadline

Demon Wind

Don't Panic

Fade to Black

Fascination

Flesh for Frankenstein

Giallo in Venice

Hitcher in the Dark

Lemora

Nightmare Beach

Requiem for a Vampire

Rituals

Scream (1981)

This Night I’ll Possess Your Corpse

Trilogy of Terror

Unmasked Part 25

Viy

Edited by RIPPA
Fixed spoiler tags
  • Like 3

On 9/1/2021 at 8:16 AM, RIPPA said:

It looks totally cliche and trashy but I am going to watch it anyway.  James Wan is directing so it can only be so bad.

Edited by J.T.

Chapelwaite is starting to get good.  They're finally getting to the part where the grimoire, De Vermis Mysteriis, is entering the picture.  The television show has taken liberties with the vampire subplot of the short story, but that's okay.

They even worked in the whip-poor-wills = death angle.

HOLY FUCK IT'S THE PHANTASM BALL~!!!!!!

New season starts September 23rd.  Part of me kinda hoped they'd debut it on the 1st of October.   

Finally, a season with a respectable number of episodes.  

• Like 2

So, Malignant is some crazy ass mash up of The Dark Half and Ghost In The Machine.  The acting is pure camp, but there is enough violence and wild shit going on as not to be entirely bad.  If you've got HBO Max, watch it through that service.  I wouldn't spend more than matinee cash on this thing.

I had a migraine so I didn't make it out to see Night House.  I will try on Wacky Wednesday if it is still in general release.  Tix will be five bucks and I can also get a meal at the CineBistro.