DVDVR Message Board

2021 HORROR MOVIES

J.T.

I thought Halloween Kills was...fine? I shouldn't have gone in with such high expectations. From the trailers, I loved the concept of the town hunting down Michael Myers, but the dialogue is so fucking bad and BP above nailed the whole thing about Michael Myers as a metaphor. His kills in this one were way better than in Halloween 2018, but they were also sillier? Like in a graphic novel kind of way.

And the ending went from being cool to sucking really fucking fast, especially the very end. I think if the dialogue were better, you didn't have whatever Anthony Michael Hall is now anywhere near this movie, and the ending were changed slightly it would have been a much better movie even with all of the flashback shit and even with the b-plot that I won't need to explain, but BP or anyone else that saw the movie should immediately know what I'm talking about.

But yeah, that ending...

Spoiler

I had hoped that we wouldn't go back down the path of making Michael Myers this supernatural, un-killable force that you can only stop if you blow up his heart, but here we are. I mean, he got shot point blank, multiple times, and stabbed a ton. He then gets up, no-sells everything, and one by one is able to kill ALL of the mob?! Like, they all stand around while they all start dropping one by one. I didn't think they would be able to top how silly the beginning of the movie was with Myers killing all of the firefighters while they just stood there and looked at him.

But there's still a third movie. Let's not go down this path of making Michael Myers supernatural. It's fucking dumb. My hope is that you get Myers patching himself up, but still wounded, and that giving Laurie enough of a shot to take him down, but I wouldn't be surprised if everyone dies at the end.

• Thanks 2

@Craig H

Spoiler

I couldn’t get over them making him unstoppable again, especially after they went through the pains of giving him a somewhat reasonable out for surviving the fire by shuttering himself inside the gun rack closet.

The strangest part is some of the stuff that’s in the trailer, like Laurie talking about him “ascending” plays totally different in the context of the movie. It seems like she’s hurtling towards madness along with the rest of the town. The whole movie seems to be about how people keep destroying themselves by projecting their fears and neuroses on this blank slate of a human being, but then it turns out he really is supernaturally evil. And they do so much cheating and twists for the sake of twists that I’m not entirely sure they won’t retcon everything from the climax in the next movie. It’s disappointing that they went through the trouble of throwing out the original canon because it was full of dumb ideas only to come up with new dumb ideas. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dude. All of that. 100% It really is maddening. I would love to know how David Gordon Green and Danny McBride could make Halloween 2018 and also make this movie that I don't want to call a piece of shit, but man, it really feels like a piece of shit.

My thing is this:

Spoiler

Why are you going to make such a big deal about the empowerment of Myers's surviving victims if you don't allow them to defeat him?  After all these years, they have finally found the courage to confront their worst fear only to be rewarded with a violent death at Michael's hands?  Not a very positive message for the audience.

I will say that Michael killing Laurie's daughter at the end was a nice way to recover because it will make the showdown in the final cut very personal.  I will stick with this trilogy in the hope that Laurie vs. Michael will have a satisfying conclusion.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched Halloween Kills on opening night via cockPea and...

Spoiler

Did not like:

The mob going after the other escapee when they've blasted Michael Myers' mugshot on TV.

Judy Greer being killed off.

The middle-movie feel of the ending..

Did like:

Kills were creative.

The Silver Shamrock masks making an appearance.

I have no problem with Michael Myers getting up and being "supernatural/evil/unstoppable" after the mob got their licks in.

Isn't that what this entire franchise is based on, right?

In the first film he was shot multiple times and fell out a second story balcony and got up.

He also taught himself to drive with no car or lessons.

Plus, he's very strong.

Don't start saying they're bringing supernatural elements in when they've ALWAYS been there.

I enjoyed the film, but it's far from my favorite.

Red Letter Media had some valid takes, but fuck them.

On 10/21/2021 at 10:51 AM, (BP) said:

Hide contents

I couldn’t get over them making him unstoppable again, especially after they went through the pains of giving him a somewhat reasonable out for surviving the fire by shuttering himself inside the gun rack closet.

The strangest part is some of the stuff that’s in the trailer, like Laurie talking about him “ascending” plays totally different in the context of the movie. It seems like she’s hurtling towards madness along with the rest of the town. The whole movie seems to be about how people keep destroying themselves by projecting their fears and neuroses on this blank slate of a human being, but then it turns out he really is supernaturally evil. And they do so much cheating and twists for the sake of twists that I’m not entirely sure they won’t retcon everything from the climax in the next movie. It’s disappointing that they went through the trouble of throwing out the original canon because it was full of dumb ideas only to come up with new dumb ideas. 

Spoiler

Even though I found the riot a bit illogical as it would be pretty easy to see the other inmate they were attempting to lynch was obviously not Meyers, it still worked in the context of the film for the reasons mentioned above. The collective fear of the townspeople resulting in hysteria and mob rules is a bit on the nose but a decent allegory to the fear he instills in everyone being the real evil.

That all goes out the window at the end when he goes full latter era Jason Vorhees then all the attackers line up to die like midcard heels walking right into Stone Cold dishing out stunners. I can buy horror movie laws of physics and human physiology allowing a young, strong Meyers to survive six shots from a .38 fired by an inexperienced marksman if all the bullets missed vital organs, but not everything that happened in this movie. Then you get Laurie's monologue towards the end about him being some type of energy vampire that gets stronger the more he kills people, which further doesn't make sense. It came off like some deus ex machina trying to explain that he really is some type of personification of evil that can't be killed by conventional means.

I didn't realize or remember there was going to be a third movie, so I'd assumed this one was going to end with Laurie sacrificing herself to kill Michael at the end. I figure that's what we end up with in the next movie.

• Like 1

Int. Bedroom - Halloween Night

Six-year-old Michael Myers slips on his colorful clown costume. Unbeknownst to him, something is already slithering inside: the worm demon from Jason Goes to Hell! *

*Rights clearance pending. 

• Haha 1

Laurie eats his heart then and we have a fourth film? 

Boy, that would be just as bad as Jason Goes to Hell

EDIT: I saw a photo of Jamie Lee nearly nude last night on Facebook in some meme post about "will you still like your tattoos in your 60s" and she has like a full piece going down her right side. Crazy. And...

Spoiler

Pacino Ass GIF - Pacino Ass Great - Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 2

My favorite movie, Night of the Living Dead, is on Comet right now and I'm watching it for the first time in a couple years. And for the first time in many, many watches it finally occurred to me: why didn't they just turn off the lights and shut up? That would have saved all their asses. But the immediate realization came up is that they just couldn't. The human animal is just too stupid and too selfish for its own safety. They will grasp defeat out of the jaws of victory every time. 

Damn, that's bleak. 

Holy shit, dudes.  Chapelwaite's ending episode is soul crushing.

Spoiler

Boone and the townspeople defeat the vampires in Jerusalem's Lot.  He then realizes that someone needs to protect De Vermis Mysteriis or some other elder vampire may use it to raise the old god and create eternal night. 

Since only vampires can keep the book without going insane, he has his vampiric daughter kill him after he drinks her blood so that he can become undead and serve as the book's undead guardian..

......by having the book sewn into his body and leaving his children (including the vampire middle daughter) in the care of his steward....

It is so fucking sad and great..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

One of the guys at work has seemingly been watching Dexter over and over again for years now, it seems. 

And now you know why annual Active Shooter training is mandatory for all government employees and contractors.

• Haha 3