DVDVR Message Board

2021 HORROR MOVIES

J.T.

Titane was strangely touching for a highly disturbing body horror movie.  Underneath all of the eroticism, murder, and icky body transformation is a pretty heartfelt story about love and family.  

Don't be fooled, though.  It will definitely test your gag reflex.  I think my audience lost four people before the end of the movie.

Amateurs.

Gonna try to go see Lamb sometime this weekend before it leaves my wonderfully disjointed arthouse multiplex.  I also need to find time to watch Halloween Kills.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

So, Shudder has added some tasteless classics from the 70's and 80's, so it seems a perfect time to revisit Control's sleazy horror movie challenge.

This afternoon while I am putting together bookshelves for my mom, I will be watching.

2b00cdb1e9b5189c911a853d260d9f39.jpg

Directed by Charles Kaufman, the brother of Troma Film's co-founder, Lloyd Kaufman (who has an Associate Producer credit!).

I know it has been at least ten years since I watched this movie, so I am going in practically blind.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Speaking of someone who never forgot her mama! 

Anyway, Mother's Day has one scene I never forget

Spoiler

The lady stepping in a giant pile of shit with her bare foot.

It might be the most disgusting scene I've ever seen in a movie, and I have no problem with anything in Pink Flamingoes. Just thinking about that grosses me the fuck out. 

• Haha 1

I just watched Wrong Turn (2021). Kudos for not just doing another mutant cannibal slasher flick, but sadly that's all the praise I can give it. Assuming there were no major script revisions on-set, the writing (by the writer of the original Wrong Turn 20-some years ago) is so bad, like even compared to that film's direct-to-DVD sequels, that it's pretty astonishing that it survived preproduction. Fuck this film.

On 10/4/2021 at 2:15 AM, Curt McGirt said:

First thing that comes to mind: Pieces

Ok I watched PIECES on Kanopy and can confirm it’s sleaziness.

Still, it’s oddly ineffective, despite its sleaze, gore, and camp.

Watching it right after HALLOWEEN probably  didn’t help.

Oi.  Mother's Day is fairly gory even by today's standards and far skeevier than I remember it being.  It definitely has the feel of a Trauma Entertainment film.

Not sure if it warranted the "sit all the way though and win a free pass" treatment that it did back in the day when I went to the midnight movies on the regular as a college age youth.  I probably could've made it all the way through this in my novice gorehound days.

The reveal at the end was pretty cool.

Spoiler

All through the movie, "Mother" complains about being stalked and assaulted by "Queenie," her deformed sister that lives in the woods and lives off of vermin, but it is implied that "Mother" is batshit crazy and that "Queenie" is a figment of her imagination that she uses as an excuse to guilt trip her inbred sons into protecting her so that they never leave home.

Turns out "Queenie" was not a figure of "Mother's" imagination.  She was very very real.

Edited by J.T.

Watched Halloween kills this evening.  i liked the kills and some of the concepts but the end of the movie left a bad taste in my mouth.  

Spoiler

it just got too crazy.  i loved how they all ganged up and had him cornered but how do they not kill him?  His body should have been riddled with bullets. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Control said:

I didn’t dislike it! It just felt a bit flat, considering the wild shit happening on screen.

I remember the gore being pretty awesome and Lynda Day George's acting being really really bad.

19 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Watched Halloween kills this evening.  i liked the kills and some of the concepts but the end of the movie left a bad taste in my mouth.  

Hide contents

it just got too crazy.  i loved how they all ganged up and had him cornered but how do they not kill him?  His body should have been riddled with bullets. 

Spoiler

I just watched it tonight and agree. This was some of the most egregious "horror movie protagonists are fucking morons" action that I can recall. You've got the whole town lynching him, and instead of decapitating him or setting him on fire or something, half the people walk away and then just get slaughtered?

Aside from that I liked it, even if all it did was basically set up the final movie. For a film that's pretty grounded in reality, I want to see if they come up with some explanation for his superhuman strength.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 1:38 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I really liked the first half or so of it, explaining where exactly Michael went after Loomis shot him six times, and tying up some loose ends from the last film. But once the mob formed and was chasing the guy through the hospital, I started checking out. And by god, they better not be killing off Judy Greer!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Halloween Kills was terrible. Teeeeerrrrrrrible. Extremely entertaining, but just bad all over. 

The ending was pretty good but the mob justice part bordered on eye rolling unbelievable.

• Like 2

The remake of the Slumber Party Massacre on Syfy isn't entirely horrible.  It is a bit more woke-er.... um... the ladies are more empowered than I remember them being in the 1982 original.

Edited by J.T.

On 10/15/2021 at 11:24 AM, Curt McGirt said:

And then of course there's this

It's between this and the March music that the killer plays while she's playing tennis that goes on for like 5 full minutes for me.

Can confirm that the march IS NOT on the vinyl soundtrack which may be a deal-killer for that, although I have it anyways.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 2