DVDVR Message Board

2021 HORROR MOVIES

J.T.

Green's horror pedigree was pretty light until the new Halloween trilogy...of which we have only seen the first film thanks to fucking COVID.

Looking forward to what he will do with The Exorcist.

If the Delta variant doesn't put us all back on lockdown, the Nia DaCosta / Jordan Peele reboot of Candyman should be here by the end of the month.

S1 of Dexter is on Showtime right now.  I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the Ice Truck Killer stuff.

Rita in her Lara Croft costume.  Bringer of the funny feeling.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Nah, they're showing a mix of episodes. I've never seen the first one myself. 

Yeah, it wasn't even a "best episodes" marathon or anything.

Old was not great, but it was not entirely bad either.  I think M.Night added the extra twist because everyone in the theater figured out what was going on about halfway through.  It was more of an extended episode of Twilight Zone than an actual horror movie.

I think my love of cosmic horror helped me to accept the "bad magical shit happening to normal people" plot that other members of the audience.

Edited by J.T.

It's pretty good. I'm not much of a fan of that style of animation but considering that is kind of the Creepshow, comic book fashion then it works alright. It's been years since I read "Survivor Type", only remembering it as King's grossest story. It lives up to the memory! It looks like they pulled back on some of it so the final panel had a big hit; I also think if this was done in regular animation it would be way OTT for most people. The second story suffered from the voiceover because you instantly want to strangle the girl, but the denouement is pretty creepy. 

I went to see Don't Breathe 2 and am cool with the way things went down.

No spoilers, but the blind guy is acting as the little girl's guardian to make up for the horrible things he did in the first movie.

It is a vengeance / redemption story that works pretty well and the villains in the movie may be the worst people that have ever lived.

• Like 1

I saw that the first one was on TV last night but don't recall which channel, so if anyone wants to revisit it's probably gonna be on again.

I caught most of Underwater on HBO Streaming last night and enjoyed it a lot. T.J. Miller should probably be shot into the sun but aside from that, really fun Alien redux.

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I caught most of Underwater on HBO Streaming last night and enjoyed it a lot. T.J. Miller should probably be shot into the sun but aside from that, really fun Alien redux.

I am hoping they do more with the not so veiled Cthulu thing, but I don't think it will happen.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Don't Breathe was on HBO Streaming, which gave me a ton of grief yesterday. All I wanted to do was catch some of Gangs of New York and it kept shutting the TV down.

The only things that HBO Max is good for are the first run WB deal and their glorious archive of animated Batman movies.

Everything else is kinda bleh.

Epix has all three of the Blair Witch joints on rotation now.  BWP is still fairly creepy after all these years and Book of Shadows still misses the point 

Adam Wingard does his best with the last installment and it tries to add a few new ideas, but it is not as creepy as the first movie because there are too many characters.  There is no sense of dread or claustrophobia and the abundance of potential victims makes it feel like a slasher movie.

Edited by J.T.

Caught Demonic from Blomkampf. Liked pieces of it, felt other pieces suffered from plothammer hijinks 

Finished up a few Edward Lee novellas recently (quick shout out to OSJ*) and I was pretty hyped for a possession flick by the District 13 guy but IMHO it came across like a super indie freshman debut and by super indie I mean grab a bunch of actors who can't act for shit and load them up with early 90s campy dialog

Issues were mostly with the cast, not the story and definitely not the budget

*QEPD 

• Like 1

Having watched all 7 episodes of American Horror Stories on Hulu, my overall response is..... meh. Not sure if anyone else has written about this, so I'll keep episode opinions brief and as spoiler free as possible:

Eps 1 & 2 Rubber (Wo)Man parts 1 & 2:  I get wanting to return to Murder house but this was not good. The Murder House is like AEW. It already has a bloated roster and they just keep adding more people. Didn't find any of the characters likeable and didn't care when any of them got killed. 2 out of 5 stars.

Ep 3 Drive In: This is the 2nd best episode of them all IMO. Clever premise. Cast wasn't great but neither were they so bad you couldn't watch. 3 out of 5 stars.

Ep 4 The Naughty List: this is easily the best of the 7 episodes. All I will tell you about it is that Danny Trejo plays Santa Clause and it is very satisfying to watch. 4 out of 5 stars.

Ep 5 Ba'al: Of all the episodes, this has the highest rating on IMDB but it was my least favorite of them all. Which sucks because I like Billie Lourd a lot. But this one just dragged at far too slow a pace for me and I struggled to keep paying attention. 1 out of 5 stars.

Ep 6 Feral: This would rank 3rd on my list, but it's a distant 3rd. The beginning set up a neat premise and while it isn't a bad episode at all, it just doesn't ultimately deliver what I feel it was setting up for. This one probably would have better served as a 2 parter so they could flesh out the story more. As it is, it feels rushed. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Ep 7 Game Over: Ugh. Back to Murder House AGAIN (not a spoiler because in the description of the episode it mentions the house). I don't want to say much out of fear of spoiling so I will say this much: if you want to watch this, you should also watch Rubber (Wo)Man. Unless you're a die hard Murder House fan, you can skip this. Personally I thought they wrapped up Murder House nicely during the Apocalypse season so to me this all feels a little unnecessary. 

So, yeah. The only one I would say you should absolutely watch is The Naughty List. Drive In is decent, but still skippable. The rest were letdowns to me personally. 

• Like 1

I've been working swing shift for the past two weeks, so I didn't get a chance to see The Night House yet.  Most likely I will try to watch it on Thursday and this weekend will be all about Candyman.

How is Chapelwaite? On the one hand I'm usually intrigued by anything Stephen King puts out but on the other hand you have Adrien Brody.....

Edited by BrianS81177

On 8/14/2021 at 7:45 PM, J.T. said:

I went to see Don't Breathe 2 and am cool with the way things went down.

No spoilers, but the blind guy is acting as the little girl's guardian to make up for the horrible things he did in the first movie.

It is a vengeance / redemption story that works pretty well and the villains in the movie may be the worst people that have ever lived.

My first thought on seeing the trailer was "It looks like they want to make the Turkey Baster Guy into Logan." Which sounds like terrible terrible idea, yet one that I have to see for the audacity.

16 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

How is Chapelwaite? On the one hand I'm usually intrigued by anything Stephen King puts out but on the other hand you have Adrien Brody.....

I haven't watched any episodes yet.  I was going to sit down this morning and do creepy breakfast, but my mom called last night and said that the AC was out at her house.  The guy came in today and fixed the HVAC junction box, but I spent all morning making sure Mom was okay.  

I'll try to get caught up on Chappelwaite tomorrow morning if I am not playing Mafia 3.  I have Candyman and yard work in my future this weekend, so my to do list is pretty full.

I watched the first three episodes of Chapelwaite last night. Jerusalem's Lot is one of my favorite King stories so I had hopes it wouldn't be fucked up too bad. Naturally they've added quite a bit of characters and other material to make a relatively short story into ten hours of TV. So far it's been decent. They've done a good job of capturing a dreary 1800s New England down though it hasn't built up the Lovecraftian vibe of the story quite yet.  

• Like 1