DVDVR Message Board

2021 HORROR MOVIES

J.T.

2 hours ago, Control said:

Anyone have any thoughts on the SCANNER COP movies? If they are a cheesier, more gruesome take on SCANNERS, I could be ok with that.

They are enjoyably cheesy.  Both movies are almost like time capsules.  The perfect representation of what you'd expect your guilty favorite Blockbuster Video 1990's Direct-To-VHS movie would be.  

Now that everyone has a studio and audiences expect high production values for everything under the sun, the art of making mindless and fun low budget entertainment is dying.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, that was a definite Childhood VHS Purchase, up there with any of the Nemesis movies, Project: Metalbeast, anything from Full Moon, Jack-O, Cyber Tracker, all kinds of late '90s DTV sludge. Movies like Death Machine would rise slightly above but then you'd see something like Crawlers and realize you're just back down in the dirt again. It was a wonderful time. 

• Like 1

Uh, given what that dude tried to do with a turkey baster, I'm having a hard time accepting him as a protagonist.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Anyone going to watch Fear Street? I have to admit until I saw a trailer for it I actually had no idea R.L. Stine did normal horror stories. I thought everything was just Goosebumps style.

46 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Anyone going to watch Fear Street? I have to admit until I saw a trailer for it I actually had no idea R.L. Stine did normal horror stories. I thought everything was just Goosebumps style.

Well, Fear Street is actually the YA version of Goosebumps.  It's for mid-teen readers while Goosebumps is for smaller children.  My daughter was an avid reader of the Fear Street stories when she was in Middle School so we'll probably end up watching Fear Street.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Me being me, I went straight for Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark at the book fair as a kid and was promptly traumatized. I had a couple Goosebumps but after that it was King, Poe, and Lovecraft. 

Yeah, I went straight to Stephen King and Clive Barker in high school.  Ain't been right since.

Goosebumps was becoming a thing as I was starting to age out of the target audience so I didn't read much of them. I did enjoy some of the Fear Street books as a preteen, though I'd say Christopher Pike was better at YA horror as his books were a bit more graphic. It wasn't long after starting on those I read a Stephen King book for the first time and went forward from there.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Control said:

This looks great. Fucking Warwick Davis, man. Anyone seen it?

Holy fuck, that is insane  Why has no one come up with a character like Plates before now?

There will be no Lovecraft Country S2.... which I am kinda okay with since they covered 90% of the stuff in the novel during S1 and then started making shit up as it went along.

Edited by J.T.