DVDVR Message Board

2021 HORROR MOVIES

J.T.

"Jerusalem's Lot", interestingly, is one of the only stories never to be filmed from Night Shift. The other one is "One for the Road". Reason being for this is most of the less-known ones ended up in student films: 

With the publication of Night Shift and the rise in King's popularity as a best-selling author, also with the success of Brian De Palma's motion picture adaptation of Carrie (1976), student film and theatre makers began to submit requests to King to make adaptations of the stories that appeared in the collection. King formed a policy he deemed the Dollar Deal, which allowed the students the permission to make an adaptation for the consideration of just $1.

"Gray Matter" was the other holdout and it ended up in the Creepshow series.

• Like 1

In news that will infuriate Curt - per Deadline there will be A Quiet Place spinoff movie.

Basically not a sequel but one set in the universe of A Quiet Place (for lack of a better word)

It will be written and directed by Jeff Nichols and, as of now, will be out sometime in 2023

My daughter and I went to see A Quiet Place 2 last night.  We thought it was pretty good.  I enjoyed the expansion of the roles of the other family members like the daughter, Reagan, and the son, Marcus.   The kids were just there to be rescued from peril in the first movie, so it was pretty awesome to see their characters developed a bit more.

It was also cool to see that the Quiet Place post-apocalyptic mythology is being expanded.

Spoiler

Not only do you have to worry about the aliens, there are also groups of feral humans about that prey on other humans for resources and probably worse.  It reminded me a lot of the violent gangs roaming the countryside in The Road.

15 hours ago, driver said:

I caught the new Conjuring movie last night on HBO Max and I was underwhelmed. Not disappointed, just underwhelmed.

Yeah, it was not horrible but it was not great either.  As usual, the best part of these movies are the closing credits where you can see the real life photos set up against stills from the film.  When I went to see the first Conjuring movie with my kid, I remember the audible gasp from the audience when they saw that Annabelle was a real thing and I can appreciate Wan & crew using those images to make the films feel "authentic."

I am digging this deal that WB has with HBO Max.  As much as people pay for cable and streaming services, it's pretty cool to be able to watch first run features from the comfort of your home, so I am thankful that Xfinity tacked on HBO Max as value added to my HBO subscription.

Edited by J.T.

Oh and after much fanfare and petitioning on the part of Julianne Moore and Stephen King, E1 and E2 of Lisey's Story are now available on Apple TV.

Horror news from the Deadline feed on my phone:

Asa Butterfield (Sex Education), Iola Evans (The 100) and Eddie Marsan (Sherlock Holmes) are leading the cast of CURS>R, the horror-thriller that has recently wrapped principal photography in the UK.

Pic comes from producer and financier Anton, with Anton’s Sebastien Raybaud and John Zois producing alongside Stigma Films’ Matthew James Wilkinson. Toby Meakins (Breathe) directed from a script by Simon Allen (The Watch).

Also starring are Robert Englund (A Nightmare on Elm Street), Angela Griffin (The Hollow), Kate Fleetwood (Beirut), Ryan Gage (The Hobbit), and Joe Bolland (The Trial Of Christine Keeler).

In pursuit of an unclaimed $125,000 prize, a broke college dropout decides to play an obscure, 1980s survival computer game. But the game curses her, and she’s faced with dangerous choices and reality-warping challenges. After a series of unexpectedly terrifying moments, she realizes she’s no longer playing for the money, but for her life.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 7:10 PM, driver said:

I caught the new Conjuring movie last night on HBO Max and I was underwhelmed. Not disappointed, just underwhelmed.

On 6/6/2021 at 9:32 AM, J.T. said:

Yeah, it was not horrible but it was not great either. 

Same here!  Not bad, but not great either.  Nowhere near the first two.  I liked the final reel and I loved the quick Exorcist shout-out at the beginning (when the priest shows up and gets out of the cab, he's framed in a shot similar to the iconic Exorcist scene/poster).

Some of the wild horror and thriller movies that debuted at Sundance this past February may finally be getting some wide distribution.

I think I am most excited about Censor and the crazy ass werewolf movie, Eight for Silver.  I am also intrigued by Prisoners of the Ghostland starring Nicholas Cage and directed by Sion Sono, the mad genius that gave us Suicide Club.

I think I may skip Violation for a while.  I have met my quota of rape / revenge movies by watching only one (Revenge) this year.

I'd probably go with A Bucket of Blood, The Wasp Woman, and Humanoids from the Deep.

Technically it's not a horror film, but I'd find a way to sneak in Death Race 2000.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'd probably go with A Bucket of Blood, The Wasp Woman, and Humanoids from the Deep.

Technically it's not a horror film, but I'd find a way to sneak in Death Race 2000.

Yeah, but those first two are a little out of Joe Bob's typical year span. I'd like a Corman-directed one too, but he produced plenty that are right in the wheelhouse. 

Death Race of course would be fuckin' perfect 

EDIT: Piranha is right there and Corman gets to talk about Joe Dante.

Edited by Curt McGirt

My VHS copy of Carnosaur was used for a sample of Diane Ladd's monologue on the record of a band I was kind of the sixth member of (as in a George Martin capacity). We were watching it at my old house and a lightbulb went off over one of the guitarists' heads. So, they took it all the way up north to wherever they were recording in Minneapolis or wherever and somehow got a fucking VHS player hooked up and I guess put a mic to the TV speaker or something ? Or maybe they hooked the player up to the computer, who knows.

• Haha 1

Oooo, I found the sample. It's at the end of track 7, "Heartless Content" on here. It REALLY sounds like a VHS. 

https://wemustdismantleallthis.bandcamp.com/album/total-fucking-breakdown

The albums got better as they went. And don't blame me for the band name, I hate any bandname that's a full goddamn sentence

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oooo, I found the sample. It's at the end of track 7, "Heartless Content" on here. It REALLY sounds like a VHS. 

https://wemustdismantleallthis.bandcamp.com/album/total-fucking-breakdown

The albums got better as they went. And don't blame me for the band name, I hate any bandname that's a full goddamn sentence

We Must Dismantle All This. I really hope your band did a series of concept albums based around taking apart Lego Death Star ships.

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Haha 1

One of the guitarists was responsible for the name. He was/is a college philosophy professor (tenured, even) and anarchist which explains that. (The other one was a total junkie who has since gotten clean and is an assistant at an animal clinic. Drummer is still my best friend and the bass player shall not be spoken of) 

We always just called em Dismantle. I don't know why they didn't call it just that anyway...

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

So I FINALLY got to watch all of The Stepfather last night, and of course it was really really good. It starts off bloody and ends bloody with a nice slow burn in between. Terry O'Quinn is great in it with this corny '50s "aw shucks" demeanor that easily frays and gives way to rants in the basement and eventual murder. It's all about looking at his face and the subtle notes he slides in with his features. There's one bit where he walks away from the house to take a breather at the roadside and looks one way... then another... then turns slowly to directly face the camera and the audience. Now actors usually shouldn't do that, unless it's part of the story, because you're breaking the fourth wall (and also because Norman Bates already did it since this is a psycho slasher film). But that perfect stare at the camera is the most sinister and chilling thing in the whole goddamn movie. 

Now Jill Schoelen is a whole other matter and I won't get all Cibernetico, only to say she both dated Keanu Reeves and was engaged to Brad Pitt? Damn. She retired to be a mom if you were wondering why she dropped off the face of the earth. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 12:35 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Now Jill Schoelen is a whole other matter and I won't get all Cibernetico, 

Cutting Class (where she hooked up with Brad Pitt on the set) is by far the more Cibernetico-eque Jill Schoelen outing than The Stepfather is.

Just sayin'. 

One day we may manage to have a Cibernetico-free discussion of the great scream queens of horror movie history, but probably not today...

Edited by J.T.

Cutting Class has been on Starz or Showrime rotation forever now but I never watch it in full. Guess I'm missing out?

In case you want another dose of Jill, here's the Robert Englund version of Phantom of the Opera that I found online

https://www2.solarmovie.to/movie/the-phantom-of-the-opera-1989-7844/1-1/watching.html

EDIT: Well I can't exactly recommend that one. It's got plenty of Jill but otherwise it's pretty crappy. It starts in the modern age then jarringly ends up in the 17th century or whatever, which inexplicably has pistols and cops dressed in trenchcoats. At least Ms. Schoelen doesn't attempt an English accent. There are some bloody kills and one neat scene where Englund takes his fake skin off like Leatherface deciding to change clothes, but otherwise the most interesting part of this is of all people Molly Shannon showing up.

Edited by Curt McGirt