DVDVR Message Board

2021 HORROR MOVIES

J.T.

For my Date Night Double Feature I went with a marriage theme.

We started with Demon about a man marries into a family he doesn't really know, to a woman he hasn't actually met physically. If that's not awkward enough, our poor groom gets possessed on his wedding day. Great movie. Not super scary but utilizes the supernatural to form a kind of absurd, Bunuel-ian style commentary on Post-War Poland. Lots of vodka.

Highly recommend with the caveat that you should know going in that it's more of a movie with a supernatural element than a hard genre horror.

Followed that up Ready or Not where the bride deals with her own awkward in-law situation. Really loved this. Samara Weaving is great as per usual. I thought Adam Brody really killed it as the brother. Fun deaths. Lots of blood. I think one of my favorite gags is the guy getting a crossbow and sitting in the bathroom watching youtube videos on how to use the crossbow. Also a solid homage to Heathers at the end of the movie.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 8:24 PM, J.T. said:

For those of you concerned about maybe not getting a second season of Lovecraft Country..

In Them, a Black family moves into an all-white Los Angeles neighborhood in the 1950s, and you can probably guess that the move doesn’t go smoothly. Not only will the family have to deal with racist neighbors, but it looks like something supernatural is lurking about as well. The new horror anthology series (or terror anthology series, as they’re officially calling it) is headed to Amazon in April.

The cast includes Deborah Ayorinde, Ashley Thomas, Alison Pill, Shahadi Wright Joseph, Melody Hurd, and Ryan Kwanten. 

Rippa hates my posts.

I know I am the last guy to report in other threads, but usually not this one.

Edited by J.T.

Well, fuck.  Godzilla vs. Kong doesn't debut this weekend and I start working graveyard on Easter weekend.  I've told my kid to go ahead and catch GvK when it premiers and our Father / Daughter horror movie for this weekend will be Freaky.

I'll rent it from MS Store and nab some Rewards points.

And yeah, with my dad passing away from COVID this past January and suffering from dementia for so long, Relic hit a little too close to home.

Edited by J.T.

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

Rippa hates my posts.

I know I am the last guy to report in other threads, but usually not this one.

My post had the trailer and actual release date.

Your post was so two weeks ago

Comet is playing the terrible Italian Jaws ripoff Tentacles and I was juuuust about to turn it off when this theme started playing (as a real squid attacked a toy boat and a rubber squid popped its head out the water). Stopped in my tracks. You gotta leave it to the Italians, they always have the best music. 

And yet guess who is cast in this movie? John Huston, Shelley Winters, Bo Hopkins, and Henry Fonda. Guess we know where the budget went.

EDIT: And now I have listened to at least two polizziotesschi films he composed that had damn near the exact same theme as above

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 9:46 AM, jaedmc said:

Followed that up Ready or Not where the bride deals with her own awkward in-law situation. Really loved this. Samara Weaving is great as per usual. I thought Adam Brody really killed it as the brother. Fun deaths. Lots of blood. I think one of my favorite gags is the guy getting a crossbow and sitting in the bathroom watching youtube videos on how to use the crossbow. Also a solid homage to Heathers at the end of the movie.

Ready or Not was a hell of a lot of fun. Highly reccomend it to anyone that hasn't seen it. 

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2021 at 7:33 AM, RIPPA said:

My post had the trailer and actual release date.

Your post was so two weeks ago

Such bitterness!

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, that movie was a blast. 

My daughter and I both loved Ready or Not!  I haven't seen too many dark comedies that effectively make the violence the joke, but this one is great!

Tentacles is awesome!  The wacky ass ending really is the precursor to the silly but great sea monster movie boom we've got going on today.

What would a Syfy Saturday afternoon be without SHARKTOPUS VS. WOLFWHALE~!

• Like 1

The Untitled Paranormal Activity sequel/reboot/"unexpected retooling" has cast its 4 leads

The most "known" is Roland Buck III who plays Noah on Chicago Med

Others are Dan Lippert (voices Pancake on The Grand Slams and voiced Big Show on Camp WWE), Emily Bader and Henry Ayres-Brown (they both have done a couple of random one offs on TV shows)

The movie is directed by Will Eubank (Underwater, The Signal)

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Tentacles is awesome!  The wacky ass ending really is the precursor to the silly but great sea monster movie boom we've got going on today.

What would a Syfy Saturday afternoon be without SHARKTOPUS VS. WOLFWHALE~!

Tentacles is best viewed while eating a big ol' plate of calamari! Just as Jaws is a great dinner movie with shark steaks as the main course. (Shark steaks aren't really all that and a bag of chips, but I'm real big on eating things that would (given the chance) eat you.)

How is it possible that I've never seen SHARKTOPUS VS. WOLFWHALE~? And why is it that no one has thought to make a film with giant moray eels running amok? I mean they're rather hideous and surly creatures from the get-go, doesn't take too much imagination to kick the nastiness up to the next level. Also, what about a giant hellbender raising a ruckus in the Great Lakes? Maybe that's what really happened to the Edmund Fitzgerald...

• Haha 2

Funny you mention watching with your daughter @J.T.I was gonna watch it with my folks when I rented it but ended up watching something else that I can't recall (it must've been pretty shitty). I watched it by myself and later told my mom "yeah that was way too bloody for you" haha. Still wish I'd watched it with them to see the reactions though. Dad is immune after years of mafia films but mom can only tolerate so much.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

Tentacles is best viewed while eating a big ol' plate of calamari! Just as Jaws is a great dinner movie with shark steaks as the main course. (Shark steaks aren't really all that and a bag of chips, but I'm real big on eating things that would (given the chance) eat you.).

Well, that just puts an idea in my head for what to do for 4th of July.

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

Also, what about a giant hellbender raising a ruckus in the Great Lakes? Maybe that's what really happened to the Edmund Fitzgerald...

I lived in Michigan for a couple of years and heard nothing but lake monster stories when my friends would take me up to the UP on the weekends.

Lake Eerie has stories about Bessie and there is also the Dragon of Lake Superior.  The dragon is supposedly the reason why the lake never gives up her dead, as the tremendous song by the great Gordon Lightfoot goes.

There are those who believe that the Edmund Fitzgerald was indeed sunk by the Lake Superior Dragon (or by the Native American curse that summons it if you believe in that kind of thing).   Since the incident happened on my seventh birthday, I've always had an interest in it as an adult.

Edited by J.T.

So is there some rights issue with HELLRAISER 3? Just wondering why I can find the first two streaming and with special edition blurays, etc., but not 3.

Edited by Control

1 hour ago, Control said:

So is there some rights issue with HELLRAISER 3?

Probably has something to do with the music from the soundtrack which featured prominent metal and industrial rock groups including Motorhead and KMFDM:

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1