DVDVR Message Board

2021 HORROR MOVIES

J.T.

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Rawhead Rex is also on there now too if you want to get drunk and have a good laugh. 

Part of me hoped that Shudder could get their hands on Lair of the White Worm so that I could have a weird rural Britain campy horror film double feature thing going on.

Untold Story plays out more like a crime thriller than a horror film even though it is extremely violent. 

Anthony Wong's performance is amazing.  So much so that he actually won the award for Best Actor for this movie in the 13th Hong Kong Film awards even though...

Spoiler

this is a movie about an alleged cannibal.

• Like 1

I looked up the rest of the Category III films and it seems like they fall into several categories: 

1. Triad films

2. Comedic sex or horror romps

3. Movies with a lot of rape in them

The outliers seem to be the films to watch like Riki-Oh or (if you can take it) Men Behind the Sun.

EDIT: Also, god do I need to see Lair of the White Worm again. I've only caught that late at night on some regional affiliate one time and it was freaky-deaky.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: Also, god do I need to see Lair of the White Worm again. I've only caught that late at night on some regional affiliate one time and it was freaky-deaky.

I had an amazing crush on Amanda Donohoe after that movie.

• Like 4

The Untold Story wanted to be Seven or Henry (even had some Henry-esque music over the closing credits) but it just didn't hit that way. Because of the constant, irritating, and sexist group of horny cops on the case throughout the movie it came off more like the original Last House on the Left. That's not to say Anthony Wong wasn't really good in it, or that it wasn't incredibly disturbing. 

Spoiler

I honestly thought it was pussyfooting a bit until the flashback to the family massacre at the end. THAT was some SHIT. How you win an Oscar for something involving that is incredible. 

Another couple things: First of all, this guy should have been in protective custody and on suicide watch, and his confession was absurdly, blatantly coerced. And If they'd done all that then they could have backed up their information in court in Macau, saved the face that they were so worried about, and then handed him straight over to Hong Kong to get hung. Not that I'm expecting US justice from Macau or even pre-mainland-boot-on-neck HK, but still. Plus anyone with enough knowledge of the human anatomy should know to cut lengthwise on their arm to commit suicide. There also probably wasn't enough blood in any of the murders but that's a complaint I hesitate to make considering...

Let's just say, not for the faint of heart. 

On 1/23/2021 at 6:21 PM, Tromatagon said:

Psycho Goreman is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen.

"Not my HUNKY BOYS!"

The best description I can think of is GWAR, ultra violent Power Rangers, live action Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Masters of the Universe, and Monster Squad thrown into a blender.

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 7:53 PM, J.T. said:

I had an amazing crush on Amanda Donohoe after that movie.

I was too young to have that kind of crush when the movie originally came out, but I didn't finally see it until 2011.  By then, I fully appreciated her performance. The vampire make-up is right there with Mr. Barlow for me. I never found his buck-toothed fangs too terribly seductive though. 

On 1/30/2021 at 2:56 AM, Curt McGirt said:

The Untold Story wanted to be Seven or Henry (even had some Henry-esque music over the closing credits) but it just didn't hit that way. Because of the constant, irritating, and sexist group of horny cops on the case throughout the movie it came off more like the original Last House on the Left. That's not to say Anthony Wong wasn't really good in it, or that it wasn't incredibly disturbing. 

Reveal hidden contents

I honestly thought it was pussyfooting a bit until the flashback to the family massacre at the end. THAT was some SHIT. How you win an Oscar for something involving that is incredible. 

Another couple things: First of all, this guy should have been in protective custody and on suicide watch, and his confession was absurdly, blatantly coerced. And If they'd done all that then they could have backed up their information in court in Macau, saved the face that they were so worried about, and then handed him straight over to Hong Kong to get hung. Not that I'm expecting US justice from Macau or even pre-mainland-boot-on-neck HK, but still. Plus anyone with enough knowledge of the human anatomy should know to cut lengthwise on their arm to commit suicide. There also probably wasn't enough blood in any of the murders but that's a complaint I hesitate to make considering...

Let's just say, not for the faint of heart. 

I still need to see Angst, which is also available on Shudder. I always put it off because the prolonged torture (that I'm expecting) is a little too grim. The genius and shock of Henry was never lingering on the actual murders as they were happening, instead mostly showing the aftermaths, and actually making these dimwitted psychopaths somewhat relatable and even charming for the rest of the movie.  

1 hour ago, FluffSnackwell said:

"Not my HUNKY BOYS!"

The best description I can think of is GWAR, ultra violent Power Rangers, live action Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Masters of the Universe, and Monster Squad thrown into a blender.

All of these are accurate, plus it made me think if Troma made a PG-13 movie.

• Like 1

The Roger Ebert.com review said its major problem was it didn't go far enough to get into Troma territory. That's a rare kind of complaint. 

I tried to watch House to get it off of the watch list on Prime and ended up unable to pay attention to it. It came off as a boring mess and I don't think I even got to the end before turning it off.

EDIT: Oh, and coincidentally I watched half of Troma's War the other night, haha. It's in full on Youtube. The only movie I've ever seen featuring an AIDS infected rapist who gets an arrow to the balls! 

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 1/28/2021 at 10:41 PM, Curt McGirt said:

The Untold Story is now on Shudder, if you want to test the waters of Category III Hong Kong horror. I've still never seen it so I'm intrigued.

There was a whole cycle of HK films like The Untold Story. While I can take a lot, that particular subject is not in my wheelhouse. Possibly from being exposed in childhood to the 1974 book Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors and the history of the Donner Party. Even Soylent Green gives me the heebie-jeebies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Execproducer said:

There was a whole cycle of HK films like The Untold Story. While I can take a lot, that particular subject is not in my wheelhouse. Possibly from being exposed in childhood to the 1974 book Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors and the history of the Donner Party. Even Soylent Green gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Yeah I have not been a fan of the cannibal thing since Cannibal Holocaust and Soylent Green also makes me a bit uneasy when I watch it.

The replicant processing plant scene in Cloud Atlas and the blood bank scene from Blade Trinity also get to me.  I guess I just have this thing about the casual desecration of humans by other humans.   When it comes to horror or dystopia, mankind is still the worst monster there is.

• Like 1

When it comes to cannibal stuff I go straight for Cannibal Apocalypse (AKA Apocalypse Domani/Cannibals in the Streets/Invasion of the Flesh Hunters) with John Saxon and Giovanni Lombardo Radici or Eaten Alive with Robert Kermen and Janet Agren. I suppose it's because neither of them is run of the mill and has a weird twist. Apocalypse has a bunch of guys coming back from Vietnam as cannibals and it takes place in the city and is all wacky. Eaten Alive is just a shade less sleazy than the other Lenzi cannibal flick and has a Jim Jones subplot. Really you can just watch the trailer from that one and get it all in one hit, anyway. But Apocalypse I will always love, and John Saxon even came to appreciate it before he passed away too IIRC (though he didn't sound like it in the extras interview).  

EDIT: Trailers! You know the drill, NSFW

EDIT II: You know what if you watch these you have BOTH movies in the span of a few short minutes

Spoiler

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

https://www.mariader.com/design

This is rich. Maria Der is a graphic designer who got bored due to the pandemic and started creating exploitation poster or VHS box art versions of otherwise conventional films. See American Pie and The Breakfast Club turned into Japanese gonzo horror covers a la Guinea Pig, Tom Cruise movies turned into American Psycho adaptations, action and cannibal flick and blaxploitation rips, etc. Fun and subversive. 

• Like 2

Watching The Blob (1988) again was a blast. Whatever happened to Kevin Dillon, anyway? He was great in this. The whole town had its own vibe, right through all the architecture as this busted '50s town that had somehow made it all the way to the '80s before completely dying on its feet. A great accomplishment of set direction. And speaking of which, from a film that had the same two years earlier, who shows up at the end but Bill fucking Moseley in a cameo? If I was in the theater for that I would have jumped up and yelled. Jack Nance was another great appearance. The effects were great when they needed to be, and they were also terrible when they needed to be (well okay, that's a 50/50 on the bad ones; sometimes they had to give homage and sometimes they just couldn't be any better). The end with the preacher basically becoming Reagan sitting on the nuclear warheads was great for the time in which it came out too. Very much worth a watch or a revisit. I hadn't caught it in years and was super happy. 

In a lot of ways I prefer the remake of The Blob to the original.  The Blob being an intelligent predator by nature was a nice touch, but I wasn't a big fan of the reveal.

Spoiler

It was better when the Blob was an extraterrestrial.  The idea that the US military made a bioweapon we couldn't control doesn't exactly instill confidence in the government, but I suppose that is very much a product of the era the movie was made in.

I don't know if it was a result of subtle racism, but it is peculiar how the mad scientist in this movie and the guy that built Skynet in T2 just happen to be black.  Thanks to them, we'll never get high ranking jobs in STEM related industries.

Deadline says that Universal has finalized a deal with Chloe Zhao to do a Western Sci-Fi reimaging of Dracula. Zhao will write, direct and produce the film.

This will be in addition to the more faithful retelling of Dracula they are working on

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Deadline says that Universal has finalized a deal with Chloe Zhao to do a Western Sci-Fi reimaging of Dracula. Zhao will write, direct and produce the film.

This will be in addition to the more faithful retelling of Dracula they are working on

Didn't they put Dracula in space in Dracula 3000?

Why is Universal so clueless when it comes to the classic monsters IP?

On 2/6/2021 at 1:11 AM, Travis Sheldon said:

Didn't they put Dracula in space in Dracula 3000?

Yes they did.  Coolio chewed on scenery as a vampire but other than that, it was a pretty horrible movie.

On 2/6/2021 at 1:11 AM, Travis Sheldon said:

Why is Universal so clueless when it comes to the classic monsters IP?

There are some Universal classic monster IPs that might benefit from a modern setting, while others should be left alone.

I'd rather see Dracula and Frankenstein set in the period from Stoker's and Shelley's novels respectively, but I'd also like to see Creature from the Black Lagoon in a more modern set piece.

Edited by J.T.