DVDVR Message Board

2021 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

19 hours ago, Tabe said:

Blistering article about DeMaurice Smith and his representation of the NFLPA.  Some fun revelations from the article include:

- that the NFLPA paid Drew Brees nearly $10m during his tenure on its executive committee.  The union claims this was his income from their licensing deal but that's not what the paperwork says and it's not clear why the payments would get handled the way they did.

- the NFLPA paid $80m in legal fees over the last decade, much of it spent on fruitless lawsuits and for hiring lawyers that weren't needed

- lots of shenanigans that show Smith is maybe a little too comfy with the owners instead of the players

Anyway, long, in-depth article that is well worth a read:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30930834/inside-dual-legacies-nfl-players-union-boss-demaurice-smith

Awww man, I wanted to still be able to tell the pigs apart from the humans. $10M for being on the committee? I never even see his name come up when it comes to any labor stories. You'll see the same names come up over and over and I don't recall seeing something like "Drew Brees, a regular player union advocate" or somesuch. Maybe I'm just not noticing. 

The lurch towards what TV networks and owners want has been noticeable though. My favorite time of year when discussing league changes is in December when half the teams are decimated by injuries. There'll be some talk about expanding the schedule but it gets shouted down with "Are you SERIOUS? We're all fucked and you want to play MORE games?"

1 hour ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

Awww man, I wanted to still be able to tell the pigs apart from the humans. $10M for being on the committee? I never even see his name come up when it comes to any labor stories. You'll see the same names come up over and over and I don't recall seeing something like "Drew Brees, a regular player union advocate" or somesuch. Maybe I'm just not noticing. 

The lurch towards what TV networks and owners want has been noticeable though. My favorite time of year when discussing league changes is in December when half the teams are decimated by injuries. There'll be some talk about expanding the schedule but it gets shouted down with "Are you SERIOUS? We're all fucked and you want to play MORE games?"

Yeah, the $10m for Brees just makes no sense.  Like, why would you give him that money in the first place?  If it really WAS licensing money, why wasn't it labeled that way?

The more games thing...man, Smith just sold out his players on that.  How do you get a 1% increase in revenue in return for an almost 7% increase in games?  That simultaneously shortens careers, costing you money in retirement and pensions?  Good grief.

• Like 1

Speaking of the 17th game

The was a report yesterday that - while not certain yet - it appears the league will use the option to add the 17th game for the 2021 season. 

They will eliminate one preseason game - thus maintaining 20 total games a season (the league and the owners are the only ones who consider the preseason real games since they charge full price). Teams who have 9 home games in the regular season will play twice on the road in preseason (and the opposite applies for the teams with only 8 home games). 

And to tie it all in - the big reason is that they are using the selling point of a 17th game in the discussions for the new TV deals

• Like 1

I know it can never, ever happen, but they really should make "Game 17" be a Flex week determined by your team's performance in the current season.  So AFC East #1 team plays AFC Central #1 team, 2 plays 2, and so on, rotating divisions as the years roll on.  Home team gets decided by record (and playoff tiebreakers).  

That would be awesome and guarantee quality matches for TV.  Plus you get fun stuff like the Jags and Jets both actively avoiding winning a game. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I know it can never, ever happen, but they really should make "Game 17" be a Flex week determined by your team's performance in the current season.  So AFC East #1 team plays AFC Central #1 team, 2 plays 2, and so on, rotating divisions as the years roll on.  Home team gets decided by record (and playoff tiebreakers).  

That would be awesome and guarantee quality matches for TV.  Plus you get fun stuff like the Jags and Jets both actively avoiding winning a game. 

I love this idea. It decreases the chances of another bottom feeder Eagles team tanking so The Giants can't make the playoffs scenario. The only draw back I can really think of is when selling season tickets and making travel plans, having a floating game makes it harder to schedule trips ahead of time. But shit that's how the playoffs work. So it's not *that* much of a drawback if it's sold with the right explanation. But I'm afraid you're right. It doesn't have much of a chance of happening. It's a shame because that really is a good idea.

ETA: You can't tell me #1 Washington would have beat #1 Green Bay, or #1 New Orleans to clinch that playoff spot this year. Just saying.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
More sour grapes

Not sure why you are questioning the Titans

Mike Vrabel coached Watt in Houston plus Amy Adams Strunk (the Titans controlling owner not the actress) was the first person to donate a million dollars when Watt was raising money for Houston so they have a good relationship 

I liked it better when you were asleep by 9.

Also, I think Tennessee is due for a big fall as it's  year 3 of the Derrick Express and that's usually when a RB has a major fall. 

But all those things you say make sense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I liked it better when you were asleep by 9.

Also, I think Tennessee is due for a big fall as it's  year 3 of the Derrick Express and that's usually when a RB has a major fall. 

But all those things you say make sense.

Don't discount Year Three of the Ryan Tannehill Experiment, the man is 18-8 as a Titans starter and he's been saying his prayers and taking his vitamins.

I wouldn't count out a 5000 yard passing season with, at least, 40 TDs.

And if the Titans get Fitzmagic as a backup, the sky is the limit.

Or maybe they're going to the moon!

?

• Haha 1

Will be interesting to see if Russ actually gets traded.  Right now, seems like both sides are sick of each other.  Russ is sick of Pete Carroll and getting hit too much.  Pete's sick of Russ holding the ball too long so he gets hit too much and playing less-good in the second half of seasons.

This could be in the off-field stuff, too, but it's about a contract so I'm putting it here:

Matthew Judon is threatening to post pics of an ESPN reporter at a strip clip because he feels the report lied about a contract offer Judon did(n't) get.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/nfl-player-threatening-to-leak-photos-of-espn-reporter-at-strip-club/ar-BB1dZE7L?li=BBnb7Kz

• Haha 1

Well that didn't take long

Couple of things - Disney is "only" paying a 30% increase and the NFL is claiming that report isn't true

Working under the assumption that it is true - an only 30% increase and getting the Super Bowl again goes back to my point that Disney might be the only company that could make the NFL blink

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well that didn't take long

Couple of things - Disney is "only" paying a 30% increase and the NFL is claiming that report isn't true

Working under the assumption that it is true - an only 30% increase and getting the Super Bowl again goes back to my point that Disney might be the only company that could make the NFL blink

The NFL was silly to think Disney would be down for a 100% increase when no one else was bidding. 

• Like 2