DVDVR Message Board

2021 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Goff is such an oddball that I don't think we'll know for sure til next year how this will turn out. But if the Lions use their first pick to get a QB that works out and Goff is just a competent bridge, I'd consider that a win for both Stafford and for the Lions. Either way I can't see it as a win for the Rams since now they won't have a first round pick for a millennia and have a QB that is very very good but not a transcendent one that will change the franchise dramatically. Stafford is better than Goff but its not such a huge difference that I think its worth the picks they gave up, but we'll see.

It all comes down to "if" for the Rams. If Stafford is healthy and improves the offense enough that Aaron Donald and company can carry them to a title, it's worth it. If not, then it's a big overpay.

If what I read on Twitter is accurate and the Lions can, if needed, realistically move on from Goff after next year with destroying the cap, then they really only need him as a bridge. Though they could also theoretically trade him right now to yet another team with no penalty if they are going full tear down this year. Maybe someone that loses out on Watson gets desperate, you never know. At any rate, they added ammunition for their rebuild. I still don't trust the coaching hire, but this move inspires some confidence in the front office at least.

Someone left Madden franchise mode loaded on a GM's computer. That's the only way this insane trade makes any sense. Two 1sts and a 3rd for a QB starting his 13th season that is only slightly better than average? Oh and they threw in a younger version of the exact same slightly better than average QB on top to sweeten the deal? McVay must really hate Goff. He's so disgusted by the sight of him he gave away the farm just so he didn't ever have to talk to him again.

Watson's agent has been up all night pricing out small islands knowing his cut of that deal is gonna be like 3x this haul.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

If and when the Watson deal goes down, its going to replace "Herschel Walker" in the trade lexicon. Or did the Ricky Williams deal do that?

Oh no.  The Hershel trade was the Hershel trade,  Hershel Walker should be in the Dallas Cowboy Ring of Honor.

• Like 3

But seriously why do paid football experts think Deshaun Watson wants out of a badly run football program nowhere close to contending so he can agree to be traded to... the Jets? The only even halfway conceivable reason to want to go there is because they can draft the Heisman winner at WR, and there's no way they are getting to keep that pick in the deal.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

But seriously why do paid football experts think Deshaun Watson wants out of a badly run football program nowhere close to contending so he can agree to be traded to... the Jets? The only even halfway conceivable reason to want to go there is because they can draft the Heisman winner at WR, and there's no way they are getting to keep that pick in the deal.

Yea that's the part I dunno if people are thinking through. Not only are the Jets not good now, but the Jets would be even worse as they stand now if they have to give up picks and defensive players. That's a trade you are excited about if a team is just that one key piece away from being a SB team. The Jets are about sixteen steps from being a SB team. Yea, Watson would help but it wouldn't help much if they give up lots of picks and quality players in the process. The idea of him wanting to go there is hard to figure out so I refuse to believe its true.

Just now, DangerMark said:

Who can give Houston what they want, and who can give Watson what he wants are two different questions; the Jets are a great answer to one question, and really who cares about the other? 

Watson has the No Trade clause, so the second question is arguably just as important as the first question.

• Like 1

Oh, to be sure, but that post was in particular reply to my esteemed colleague who was asking about the molten takes regarding the Jets. I wouldn't want to be traded to the Jets either, and I don't think that trading the Everything to get Watson is going to turn them into contenders, which seems to be what Watson wants, but who wants to read measured takes like that? 

Apparently what tipped the trade to the Rams was the inclusion of the second 1st Round pick as until them Washington had made the best offer (though it is unknown exactly what the offer was)

Yup, reportedly New England was the only place he said he wouldn't go. I'm guessing that has a lot to do with them bringing Patricia back.

Anyway, here's the list of longest draughts without a first round pick in nfl history.

Washington, 1969-1979 (11 drafts)

Washington, 1984-1990 (seven drafts)

Rams, 2017-2023? (seven drafts, potentially)

Eagles, 1974-78 (five drafts)

Eagles, 1962-65 (four drafts)

Raiders 1976-79 (four drafts)

Vikings 1989-1992 (four drafts)

(Yes, I mostly posted that so @RIPPAcan laugh at the Football Team)

I will say that on paper it is amusing to mock teams but every year is different

Like for Washington - in 1976, they traded the #1 for Theismann so clearly they weren't going to complain

And some of their #1 picks were Heath Shuler and Michael Westbrook so they might have been better off NOT having them

• Like 2