DVDVR Message Board

2021 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Oh man, watching him bomb in the NFL will be glorious.  3-13 his first year, then an 0-3 start the following year and a sudden health issue.  Book it!

2021 was the year I originally predicted Gruden would get fired when he signed that batshit insane contract. I say let the race begin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

2021 was the year I originally predicted Gruden would get fired when he signed that batshit insane contract. I say let the race begin.

Gruden sure has a lot of people convinced he's a coaching genius.  He's Jeff Fisher with a Super Bowl win.  If only Jeff had managed to make the Super Bowl against his own former assistant who was too dumb to change his terminology.  14 seasons as a coach, 7 of them from 7-9 wins.  He's 46-55 in his last 6 seasons as a coach, 19-29 with the Raiders.  114-110 for his career (kind of impressive to have that mediocre a record while having 3 seasons of 11+ wins...)

Unreal.

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

Gruden sure has a lot of people convinced he's a coaching genius.  He's Jeff Fisher with a Super Bowl win.  If only Jeff had managed to make the Super Bowl against his own former assistant who was too dumb to change his terminology.  14 seasons as a coach, 7 of them from 7-9 wins.  He's 46-55 in his last 6 seasons as a coach, 19-29 with the Raiders.  114-110 for his career (kind of impressive to have that mediocre a record while having 3 seasons of 11+ wins...)

Unreal.

Jeff Fisher with a Super Bowl win with a team that Tony Dungy built and then largely went into the shitter afterwards.

Tom Cable was 17-27 as the Raiders' coach and only one of those two guys was saddled with JaMarcus Russell for two seasons.

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

Unreal.

I feel the only person that is convinced is Mark Davis.

A chip off the old block.

He sadly lacks the football knowledge that his late father once possessed.

Mark Davis' only football acumen is his purse strings and he's already exhibited a lack of sense there.

• Like 2

I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but something I've been thinking about:

We just saw the highest scoring season in NFL history. And, sure, that's the direction the game has been trending for years, but it still felt like a fairly large leap this year, at least to me.

And then I started thinking about the year Brees broke the single season yardage record, Brady would've broken it if Drew didn't beat him to it, Stafford threw for over 5,000, and Rodgers likely would've if he hadn't rested the last week of the season. That was coming off the lockout.

My conclusion: shortened or badly changed training camps apparently are really bad for defenses, but not a big deal for offenses. I have no idea why that would be though.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

My conclusion: shortened or badly changed training camps apparently are really bad for defenses, but not a big deal for offenses. I have no idea why that would be though.

Conditioning would be my guess. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Jeff Fisher with a Super Bowl win with a team that Tony Dungy built and then largely went into the shitter afterwards.

Tom Cable was 17-27 as the Raiders' coach and only one of those two guys was saddled with JaMarcus Russell for two seasons.

Nah, see it took the genius of Gruden to lift Tampa. You just can't see it. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Math and History are with you.  The Raiders have had 20 different coaches in 60 years (Gruden and Shell both serving twice, so they've had 22 head coach tenures), so the average lifespan of a Raider head coach is only 3 full seasons, which Gruden is already at this time around.  Only 4 coaches have survived 4 full seasons, and that includes Gruden's first time.  When it comes to replacing the head coach, this franchise is already overdue.

Doug Pederson still not a lock to keep his job

Doug Pederson's status as Philadelphia Eagles head coach is not firm, and he could be out if owner Jeffrey Lurie is not confident about Pederson's vision for the team after they meet again soon, sources tell ESPN.

Pederson and Lurie are expected to meet again early this week in Florida after discussions this past Tuesday did not go well, according to sources.

Lurie's concerns extend well beyond struggling quarterback Carson Wentz, according to sources, and there are a number of outstanding issues ranging from personnel to coaching staff outlook.

Pederson, who helped deliver Philadelphia its only Super Bowl title in 2017 and guided the Eagles to the playoffs each of the last three years, was expected to remain as coach in 2021 despite a 4-11-1 finish this season.

But Lurie to this point has not been sold on how Pederson plans to fix the offense and get the Eagles back to contender status, according to sources.

Philadelphia finished 26th in scoring (20.9 points per game) and 28th in passing yards (207.9 yards per game) in 2020, while Wentz regressed dramatically in his fifth year and was replaced in by rookie Jalen Hurts as the Eagles' starting quarterback for the season's final four games.

Wentz has planned to ask for a trade in the offseason because his relationship with Pederson is fractured beyond repair, sources said. The trust issues between the two work both ways, sources said, despite Pederson recently saying that his relationship with Wentz was fine.

Wentz has not spoken publicly since the Eagles' season ended, and a player source indicated that the quarterback did not have the normal end-of-season exit interview with Pederson or the staff.

While Pederson's fragile status does not necessarily focus around Wentz's issues, according to sources, his internal description when pressed about the team's offensive identity during one meeting with management was "troubling." His plan to address his coaching staff also lacked urgency, the sources added.

As for Hurts, a second-round draft pick last April, there was not firm clarity from Pederson on whether he had a sense that the Eagles had their quarterback of the future if the organization decides to move on from Wentz.

The handling of the last Sunday night's season finale -- in which Hurts was pulled in favor of Nate Sudfeld in a 20-14 loss to Washington -- also left questions about whether Pederson has lost his players' confidence.

Pederson has a 46-39-1 record over five season with the Eagles. He became just the eighth head coach to win a Super Bowl within his first two years at the helm when Philadelphia defeated the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LII in February 2018.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I wonder if I'd get to use the trade insurance on my jersey... ?

(Also, FTR, I'm sure this is complete bluster. I don't see any scenario where Deshaun ends up in Miami.   If I had to guess: New England, Chicago, New Orleans, New York, and Atlanta, in that order, are ahead of the Dolphins in the queue.)

3 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I guess you can't fire the QB(because he makes WAY too much $$$;) fire the coach?

If reports are to be believed, it seems the bigger issue was disagreements over his staff and his 'vision' for next year. Although the Wentz situation I am sure didn't help matters any. Since they have Hurts I still assume there is a 50/50 chance they unload Wentz if they get an offer they like.

• Like 1