DVDVR Message Board

2021 Marvel Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Donny Cates, Ryan Ottley and Frank Martin announced on new creative team on Hulk after Ewing's run wraps up.

What do people think of Cates?  He seems to have picked up a lot of buzz in a short period of time, but nothing he's written has clicked with me and I mostly disliked King in Black.    

Hes okay. Not many of the newer Big Two writers make me want to automatically pick up a book, other than Ewing. I even grew cold on King after loving Vision and Omega Men. Mister Miracle never clicked for me and i really grew to not like his Batman. 

On 5/27/2021 at 5:24 AM, The Natural said:

Heard rave reviews for Immortal Hulk, it's a run I need to read. Al Ewing as next writer on The Amazing Spider-Man? I think Nick Spencer's Spider-Man run will soon be done.

With Al Ewing on Venom, Donny Cates on Hulk, that's two contenders for the next writer of The Amazing Spider-Man out unless Ewing or Cates can write two books. Usually it's just the one writer on TASM. I'm thinking it's be Chip Zdarsky. I'd be happy with that. I LOVE Finale from Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310. Comes highly recommended by me and @Matt D. You must read it. My Dinner With Jonah from Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #6 is great. I also liked Spider-Man: Life Story. Zdarsky's Daredevil is also well worth reading.

Question: I've gotten interested in the X book circa 2010-ish.  I only recently picked up some stuff from that period and loved it.  So far I've picked up Remender's entire X-Force run, a fair chunk of Mike Carey's run on X-Men: Legacy, and I'm working this week on acquiring Gillen's run on Uncanny.

What else should I be looking out for?  IRRC, there was another main X book at the time written by... Matt Fraction?  I'm thinking Bendis, but Bendis' run on the Xbooks started a little later.  Who was writing the side books at that time?  I'm thinking Peter David was back on X-Factor around then, but I'm not sure how much i feel about 2010 Peter David.  I was a big fan when he wrote Hulk and Supergirl, not as much as a fan afterwards.

Any other recommendations?  My memory of X history and who wrote what when is spotty at best.

34 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Question: I've gotten interested in the X book circa 2010-ish.  I only recently picked up some stuff from that period and loved it.  So far I've picked up Remender's entire X-Force run, a fair chunk of Mike Carey's run on X-Men: Legacy, and I'm working this week on acquiring Gillen's run on Uncanny.

What else should I be looking out for?  IRRC, there was another main X book at the time written by... Matt Fraction?  I'm thinking Bendis, but Bendis' run on the Xbooks started a little later.  Who was writing the side books at that time?  I'm thinking Peter David was back on X-Factor around then, but I'm not sure how much i feel about 2010 Peter David.  I was a big fan when he wrote Hulk and Supergirl, not as much as a fan afterwards.

Any other recommendations?  My memory of X history and who wrote what when is spotty at best.

X-Men are a blind spot with me, ditto Fantastic Four so I'm unable to help.

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

Didn't read everything, but the big X writers during Remender's X-Force were Jason Aaron and Bendis. Neither had great runs though there some interesting ideas and weird shit that made them interesting at the very least. I do still hate Bendis bringing the original five as teens. They were the one of the worst parts of his run. Remender's X-Force was pretty fantastic though it ends a bit earlier than it should have.

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

For a while, UXM was Brubaker,  then Brubaker and Fraction and then Fraction. This was during the time they were based in SF. 

If it counts, read Gillen's SWORD book. 

Turns out Gillen's complete run is collected in two omnibus editions.  Tie-ins and the Sword mini are included, so I'll be reading that sometime in the next couple weeks.

I just learned comicbookdb.com shut down (obviously haven't used it for awhile.  It shut down 18 months ago).  Is there a good substitute out there?  I did a Google search this morning, but the couple sites I found weren't much of a replacement.  Apparently, when the site shut down, there was talk of a relaunch.  I guess nothing came of that?

Planet Sized X-Men isn't just a title. Its like they looked at the concept of Magneto taking mutants into space with Avalon, simplified the scope yet somehow, made it more epic. I didn't think the revelation of Moira X could be topped. Man was I wrong!

James

ASM2018074-cov.jpg

Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man run will conclude with issue #74/#875 this September. I thought he'd be on the book a bit longer. The run's main highlight is getting the voices right and fixing Dan Slott's fouls. My main problem is the book's pacing and sticking the landing. I'm thinking Chip Zdarsky's the next writer and I'm down with that through Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Spider-Man: Life Story and Daredevil.

This is what I said about Nick Spencer's The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) run to mark 50 issues in October 2020. I'll have to do an updated version when the run ends:

Nick Spencer’s Spider-Man - The Good.

• The Superior Foes of Spider-Man is one of the best and most unique Spider-Man stories ever. TSFOSM is the funniest comic book I’ve ever read. TSFOSM places in my top ten of fifty Spider-Man stories.
  • Nick Spencer gets the voices right of the characters particularly Peter Parker, Mary Jane Watson, Black Cat and Norman Osborn. Peter Parker’s inner narration is a frequent highlight.
  • Nick Spencer fixing Dan Slott’s fouls: Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson are back together, Spider-Man is competent and redeeming Black Cat. Big plus points for Spencer.
  • Great stories in Back to Basics from TASM (Vol. 5) #1-5. Sins Rising/The Return of Norman Osborn from TASM (Vol. 5) #44-49 and Heist in TASM (Vol. 5) #7-9.
  • Genuine surprises along the way: The aforementioned reuniting of Peter and MJ. The bandaged character who debuted in TASM (Vol. 5) #1 speculating the character’s identity. Took a while for us to even find the actual name, Kindred as revealed in TASM (Vol. 5) #24. The Sin-Eater brought back.
  • The book is funny.
  • References to The Superior Foes of Spider-Man written by Nick Spencer. That’s a fantastic book. I welcomed the returns of the creative team behind it, Spencer/Steve Lieber/Rachelle Rosenberg in TASM (Vol. 5) #6-7.
  • Good one and done issues in TASM (Vol. 5) #24, #25 and #37.

Nick Spencer’s Spider-Man - The Bad

• 2099 sucked. This arc was a real disappointment. There’s barely any Spider-Man 2099, he appears and then quickly disappears. Too much things going on. Patrick Gleason deserved better for his first arc on the book.
  • Hunted was poorly paced. The main arc in TASM would be better served by shortening it to four issues, 6 in total counting the Road to and Epilogue instead of the eight we got.
  • Only half of the TASM (Vol. 5) HU issues were worth reading. TASM (Vol. 5) #16.HU on Black Cat and TASM (Vol. 5) #18.HU about the Gibbon.
  • Rotating door of artists. Shame Ryan Ottley, Patrick Gleason and Humberto Ramos though he’s hit and miss aren’t on the book more.
Edited by The Natural

BEYOND-Teaser-01.jpg

BEYOND-Teaser-05.jpg

Spider-Man Beyond teased. Will it be a separate title to the flagship Amazing Spider-Man book or a short term thing and then the new creative team follows Nick Spencer's run?

Edited by The Natural

8e9w89wew.jpg

Artist Chase Conley (who has worked on a number of Spider-Man animated TV shows) redesigned the costume, and it's certainly a departure from the hero's classic suit first introduced in 2011.

"Happy 10th anniversary, Miles Morales!" reads the issue's official description. "This is it, 10 years as Spider-Man and his future has never looked brighter. A who’s who of Miles Morales Spider-creators has been webbed together to make this the best anniversary special of all time!

Miles Morales: Spider-Man #30 will mark 10 years of his creation and he'll sport a new costume seen above. I like it though it more resembles a homemade first costume. The original has lasted so long for a reason as it's a great design. How do you follow that? Spider-Gwen has the same trouble.

Edited by The Natural