DVDVR Message Board

2021 Marvel Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

i'm very much looking forward to reading Inferno, but i'm confused on where it stands in relation to the main X-Men title and to the Trial of Magneto. the last thing i read was the Hellfire Gala, which i enjoyed. But i've been hesitant to jump in without understanding how/when everything happens. thoughts?

• Like 1

X-Men

Timeline 10 has been mucked with, I don't think we will get to the final timeline 11. Which obv was the true one but Hickman is leaving.

Spoiler

Timeline 10 is the timeline where Mutants won over machine. Now there are timelines 10 A and B.

Seems post Inferno the Marvel universe will have mutiple true future timelines.  Only 2099 was the true future previously even if that timeline changed multiple times.

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I gave up trying to put everything in order. I just read the ones I like. 

Trial has been okay, but confusing, like a lot of their x books. 

I've been reading everything via Dawn of X. I like reading everything together. Gives a nice sense of connection and makes the weaker books a pinch stronger. I finished X of Swords last month, and enjoyed that though it ran a little long. It felt like what I've seen from major arcs in Shonen anime. Will move on to reign of X soon. 

Marvel announced a new Punisher series today.  13-issue oversized prestige format series written by Jason Aaron.  Details are sketchy, but it seems likely they are going to revamp or maybe give him a definitive ending.  The familiar Punisher logo is no more, replaced by a “devil” logo.

I’ve never really cared for the character and only picked up a couple runs because I liked the writer, but I am curious to see what the do with the character in 2022.,,Seems likely Castle won’t be presented as a hero or sympathetic anti-hero and I feel Marvel is going to do away with the character semi-permanently.  Lol, nothing in comics is permanent.

Finisher Spencer's Amazing Spider-man run. Its a strange case where I generally was good with end results, but the execution just felt off, especially with the actual Sinister War being its own book and just background noise in the final issues of Amazing. Will have to find that one when it becomes available via library. Curious how different things might have been had Spencer not left for Substack. I was disappointed that Harry was left pretty fucked over. It was good to see his soul saved, but I also would have rather seen the clone Harry who had been around for years live as well.  I do think Spencer left quite the interesting story to build on with the revelation of why Mephisto fucked things up for Peter. Hopefully someone picks back up on it and actually allows Mayday to be born.

• Like 1

A couple of the teases have my attention, particularly 

Spoiler

The rumor that Miracleman is going to be brought into the Marvel U proper, and that Gaiman/Buckingham are finally going to finish their run (ie, Dark Ages).  Not really interested in seeing Miracleman in the 616 universe, but I'm all for anything that gets Dark Ages released

Also rather interested in a couple of the upcoming X books.  Ewing on X-Men Red seems interesting, particularly given how SWORD ended.  Bringing Kieron Gillen back to write a Quiet Council book will get my money.  Not a huge fan of the X-books, but I really enjoyed the period when they had Carey & Gillen writing X titles.  

X books are a very mixed bag for me right now.  Inferno looks like it will go out strong.  Trial of Magneto made me regret spending money on it.  In general, I haven't been too into Marvel books since Secret Wars.

Surprisingly. I'm planning to buy Punisher.  No interest in the character, but I'm curious to see where they go with the character and this might be more to my liking than Aaron's superhero books.  Scalped is still my favorite Aaron book by a decent margin.  Apparently, there's an Aaron/Steve Dillon Punisher book out there that I never read.  Probably track down a copy today.

Edited by Mark

Someday I want someone to "Swamp Thing" and deconstruct that version of the Marvel Universe. The previous Marvel Universe was destroyed in Secret Wars few years ago.  And the new one is survivors, copys and alt people living in a similar 616 universe which nip, tucked, deleted, combined stuff. 

Edited by D.Z

On 12/29/2021 at 8:19 AM, dogwelder said:

Also Miracleman resumes next year.

while I am HUMONGOUSLY interested in this, i refuse to get overly excited until:
1: it gets announced by Marvel and/or Gaiman
2: it gets solicited with a release date
3: i am actually holding it in my hand.   <-this is the point that i will believe it is actually coming out.

this only pertains to Marvel finishing reprinting the Eclipse material, and continuing Gaiman's run. Any new stories, whether he's integrated into the Marvel Universe or not, i will take on a case-by-case basis.

On 12/27/2021 at 8:01 AM, Eivion said:

Finisher Spencer's Amazing Spider-man run. Its a strange case where I generally was good with end results, but the execution just felt off, especially with the actual Sinister War being its own book and just background noise in the final issues of Amazing. Will have to find that one when it becomes available via library. Curious how different things might have been had Spencer not left for Substack. I was disappointed that Harry was left pretty fucked over. It was good to see his soul saved, but I also would have rather seen the clone Harry who had been around for years live as well.  I do think Spencer left quite the interesting story to build on with the revelation of why Mephisto fucked things up for Peter. Hopefully someone picks back up on it and actually allows Mayday to be born.

Yeah, there's things I liked about Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man run and things I didn't.

Nick Spencer’s Spider-Man - The Good.

• The Superior Foes of Spider-Man is one of the best and most unique Spider-Man stories ever. TSFOSM is the funniest comic book I’ve ever read. TSFOSM places in my top ten of fifty Spider-Man stories.
  • Nick got the voices particularly Peter, MJ, Norman, Kingpin and Black Cat. That's the biggest strength of the run. Spencer fixed Black Cat from Dan Slott so that's another plus.
  • Back to Basics, Heist, the Gibbon story in Hunter and Sins Rising/The Return of Norman Osborn are the standout stories. Sins Rising/The Return of Norman Osborn was the last story I'd call truly great.
  • First half of the run is better than the second.
  • Genuine surprises along the way: The aforementioned reuniting of Peter and MJ. The bandaged character who debuted in TASM (Vol. 5) #1 speculating the character’s identity. Took a while for us to even find the actual name, Kindred as revealed in TASM (Vol. 5) #24. The Sin-Eater brought back.
  • Putting the original Kraven The Hunter and Harry Osborn back into the ground. Neither should never have been brought back after the calibre of stories they were killed in.
  • The book is funny.
  • References to The Superior Foes of Spider-Man written by Nick Spencer. That’s a fantastic book. I welcomed the returns of the creative team behind it, Spencer/Steve Lieber/Rachelle Rosenberg in TASM (Vol. 5) #6-7.
  • Good one and done issues in TASM (Vol. 5) #24, #25 and #37.
  • Retconning the second worst Spider-Man story ever in Sins Past.

Nick Spencer’s Spider-Man - The Bad

• 2099 sucked. This arc was a real disappointment. There’s barely any Spider-Man 2099, he appears and then quickly disappears. Too much things going on. Patrick Gleason deserved better for his first arc on the book.
  • Hunted was poorly paced. The main arc in TASM would be better served by shortening it to four issues, 6 in total counting the Road to and Epilogue instead of the eight we got.
  • Only half of the TASM (Vol. 5) HU issues were worth reading. TASM (Vol. 5) #16.HU on Black Cat and TASM (Vol. 5) #18.HU about the Gibbon.
  • Rotating door of artists. Shame Ryan Ottley, Patrick Gleason and Humberto Ramos though he’s hit and miss aren’t on the book more.
  • Pacing problems. OMD teases and Last Remains are key examples of that. Waiting on answers.
  • The events. Hunted and Last Remains had their moments. 2099 was truly terrible. The Chameleon Conspiracy was a dud. Sinister War was a disappointment.
  • The build with Kindred was memorable unlike the payoff so far. Last Remains had potential to be a classic but came nowhere near.
  • Too many supplementary issues: Hunted, Last Remains had added extra tie-im issues to go with what was happening in ASM. Don't forget King's Ransom and Chameleon Conspiracy getting extra large issues away from the flagship book. Sinister War is also getting the latter treatment.I
  • The conclusion felt rushed. Editorial interference?
  • Leaving the worst Spider-Man story ever and probably the worst comic book story I've ever read in One More Day still there.

Waiting to find out the next creative team. I didn't expect Beyond to follow Spencer's run with the return of Ben Reilly as Spider-Man. What do you make of Beyond, @twiztor?

Edited by The Natural

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Yeah, there's things I liked about Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man run and things I didn't. Waiting to find out the next creative team. I didn't expect Beyond to follow Spencer's run with the return of Ben Reilly as Spider-Man. What do you make of Beyond, @twiztor?

i'm interested in the storyline but haven't read it yet. I am collecting it digitally, so at some point i'll check it out. since i'm still waist deep in the '90s clone saga, i plan to finish my retro Spidey read (currently planning to read until 1998ish when the first volume of Amazing Spider-Man ends) before i jump in to any current stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i'm interested in the storyline but haven't read it yet. I am collecting it digitally, so at some point i'll check it out. since i'm still waist deep in the '90s clone saga, i plan to finish my retro Spidey read (currently planning to read until 1998ish when the first volume of Amazing Spider-Man ends) before i jump in to any current stuff. 

Cheers, mate. From the little I've sampled, it's hit and miss. Did you add Ben Reilly: Spider-Man written by JM DeMatteis and drawn by David Baldeon to your pull list? I did last week.

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Cheers, mate. From the little I've sampled, it's hit and miss. Did you add Ben Reilly: Spider-Man written by JM DeMatteis and drawn by David Baldeon to your pull list? I did last week.

yup, looking forward to DeMatteis' new Ben Reilly mini. will pick up each issue as it releases but won't read until the whole thing is out. by then i should be far enough from the Clone Saga that i can read it straight away. excited for it.

• Like 1