DVDVR Message Board

2021 Marvel Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Yep. 

Although, I did see some Asian folks online wondering if saying a Kung Fu master always has to be Asian is also stereotypical. 

It kind of is, especially with how martial arts has spread throughout the world due to film and mma. 

A new X-Men team one-shot is coming in February.

Spoiler

SECRET X-MEN #1 cover by Leinil Francis Yu

Sunspot and Cannonball leading a team of Marrow, Tempo, Boom Boom, Forge, Banshee, Strong Guy, and Armor (AKA everybody who lost the election that Polaris won) to Shi'ar space.

Edited by Ace

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, J.H. said:

No Spider-Man story that features Leopardon in it, no matter how brief, can be overrated!
(Though honestly, Spider-Verse was Slott and his Slottiest)

James

That was my problem, his push of his created character Silk who I can't fucking stand and the Inheritors diluting Morlun as Morlun copycats.

This January, fans will get the chance to return to the era when Ben Reilly was the one, true Spider-Man in BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN, an all-new limited series by iconic Spider-Man scribe J.M. DeMatteis and explosive artist David Baldeón! To celebrate these untold adventures of Ben Reilly, Marvel is proud to unveil another hidden piece of Ben Reilly history: legendary artist Dan Jurgens' unused Ben Reilly costume design!

BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN #1 Design Variant Cover by DAN JURGENS BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN #1 Design Variant Cover by DAN JURGENS

Jurgens' original design sheet and sketch art from 1995 will adorn BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN #1 as variant covers, and this bold costume may also play a surprising role in Ben Reilly’s saga by the end of the new series…

Here’s what Jurgens had to say about his costume design seeing new light as covers:

“Back in 1995 when we were launching the new SENSATIONAL SPIDER-MAN series with Ben Reilly taking over as Spidey, we decided to tweak his costume. Mark Bagley and I each took a swing and Mark’s classic design—quite appropriately—was the winner. I filed the art away and pretty much forgot about it until the new series came up in a recent conversation and I happened to think of it. Definitely cool now that, after all these years, this other version will finally see the light of day as one of the variants to BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN #1. It’s even more cool to be drawing Ben again, with regular variant covers for the duration of the series!”

BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN #1 Design Sketch Variant Cover by DAN JURGENS BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN #1 Design Sketch Variant Cover by DAN JURGENS

Love finds like this. I'll be ordering Ben Reilly: Spider-Man as I grew up on the Astonishing Spider-Man, a monthly UK publication which reprinted the Clone Saga/older Spider-Man stories, I like Ben Reilly and this will be written by one of the best Spider-Man writers ever in JM DeMatteis.

• 2 weeks later...

So after 15 or so years of hearing people call it crap I read my hardcover of Trouble. Was wanting something different to read today since it was high 70s and I was wanting to sit on the pier and read some new to me comics.

Good story,even if you cut out the Spidey connection. And really good art. Was worth the 6 or so bucks I paid for it.

I made it through all nine issues of the Howard the Duck Magazine. I'm not a fan of Howard the Duck, but I thought it was one of the better black and white Marvel mags. Mantlo is more concerned with continuity than Gerber. He wraps up loose ends from the color series. and even gives characters like the Kidney Lady an origin (which may not please some Gerber HtD fans.) There is plenty of satire, but it's not as outrageous as Gerber's work. There's some obligatory nudity in the early issues, and an infamous bedroom scene between Bev and Howard, but eventually they ditch the adult approach. Howard works as a cabbie in Cleveland for a while, becomes a vampire, returns to Duckworld, and eventually breaks up with Bev. Mantlo had a plan to have Howard become a huge TV star overnight, plummet out of popularity overnight, end up as an attraction at the Los Angeles zoo, and be reunited with Bev, leading to a wedding. However, he quit the series, and they decided to can the black and white magazine. They claimed he was returning to the world of color comics but that never materialized.

The magazine's biggest strength is its art. Colon's work looks better in black and white, and when Colon's not penciling the stories, you get art from John Buscema, Michael Golden, and even a Marshall Rogers Batman parody. There's even a pin-up page by Dave Sim. If you want to read about the further adventures of Howard after Gerber departs then the magazine is the closest thing to the original, and blows other black and white mags like Dracula out of the water.