DVDVR Message Board

2021 Marvel Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Marvel could lose the copyrights to Dr.Strange and Spiderman, via new lawsuit from Ditko's estate. The license or transfer can be terminated. According to Ditko's nephew, Marvel doesn't even have Ditko's contract on hand.

However Marvel would still retain trademarks and derivatives. Ben and Miles are derivatives.

2 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Marvel could lose the copyrights to Dr.Strange and Spiderman, via new lawsuit from Ditko's estate. The license or transfer can be terminated. According to Ditko's nephew, Marvel doesn't even have Ditko's contract on hand.

However Marvel would still retain trademarks and derivatives. Ben and Miles are derivatives.

Everyone is an Inhuman now!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, D.Z said:

R.6e775e0687ec6c6d6d2d6fbcca11d414?rik=s

Night Monkey!

Marvel owns the Spider-Man name and logos, that's how trademarks work. Copyright is tied to origins and designs and other characters. 

Marvel wouldn't be able to use the original Spider-man's costume again and very early reprints would have to have permision from the estate if the Estate wins. Also no maybe Aunt May, Uncle Ben and other characters, and none of the early villains. It's bit murky for now who would get what tbh.

Marvel could just use the Ultimate Origin and mix it with Ben.

Anyway imagine if DC got the licenses to use Spiderman rights. Spiderman and Batman in the same universe, however titles can't use Spider-Man's name on the covers. 

Edited by D.Z

I'll be shocked if the Ditko estate wins a court case against the Mouse's lawyers, and if it looks like they might, I expect Disney would then immediately settle and purchase the rights from the family. 

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

I think I read today it was settled. 

Edit: that was the most recent Kirby lawsuit. 

Almost a decade ago, he represented the estate of comic book legend Jack Kirby over whether he could terminate a copyright grant on Spider-Man, X-Men, The Incredible Hulk and The Mighty Thor. In August 2013, the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed a lower court’s ruling that determined Kirby’s heirs couldn’t wrest back his share of rights to these characters because the former Marvel freelancer had contributed his materials as a work made for hire.

The Kirby case was then petitioned up to the Supreme Court, with the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg signaling some interest in taking up the case. Marvel at the time fought hard against any high court review, and before the justices decided, the case was settled.

Edited by odessasteps

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'll be shocked if the Ditko estate wins a court case against the Mouse's lawyers, and if it looks like they might, I expect Disney would then immediately settle and purchase the rights from the family. 

this. there's been multiple lawsuits over the last decade or two about character creation. i don't see this ending any different that any of the others.

doesn't the story go that Stan Lee had Kirby draw the first Spider-Man, but didn't like it, so Ditko came on board? if true, that pretty much kills the claim that Ditko invented Spidey.

Marvel has to prove Ditko's stuff was work for hire, then they win. Still the other side has the terminations on their side.

The lawyer for the creators is arguing that Marvel is using the outdated meaning of work for hire defense. Toberoff disagrees with work for hire, he said “at the time all these characters were created, their material was definitely not ‘work made for hire’ under the law.”

“These guys were all freelancers or independent contractors, working piecemeal for carfare out of their basements. Hence, not ‘traditional, full-time employees.’”

There are also several other lawsuits for several different characters in the works. I would post articles but those mainstream articles yammer on about stuff that has nothing to do with the cases or show biases.

If Patrick Ditko wins, he would gain the contents of Amazing Fantasy #15 - "Spider man! published in amazing Fantasy Vol.1, No. 15". So the original Spider-Man, Peter Parker and whoever and whatever else from that issue.

So J Jonah Jameson, Betty Brant and the villains introduced later are all Marvel's.

Marvel can still use either the Totem stuff or the Ultimate OZ compound Spider-bite instead.

Edited by D.Z

Big issue of The Amazing Spider-Man out this week, The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #74, #875 overall. It's Nick Spencer's last issue and through the run has addressed the worst Spider-Man story ever, One More Day. Spencer retconned the second worst, Sins Past. Here's a preview of the issue:

Spoiler

ASM2018074-Preview-1.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w

ASM2018074-Preview-2.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w

ASM2018074-Preview-3.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w

Big issue of The Amazing Spider-Man out this week, The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #74, #875 overall. It's Nick Spencer's last issue and through the run has addressed the worst Spider-Man story ever, One More Day. Spencer retconned the second worst, Sins Past. Here's a preview of the issue:

Spoiler

ASM2018074-Preview-4.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w

ASM2018074-Preview-5.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w

ASM2018074-Preview-6.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w

I've really enjoyed Spencer's run up until the last few issues,  Lost a lot of steam after the "reveal of Harry as KIndred.  Since then, it's been too many outlandish plot twists for my liking and a general feeling that Spencer could have wrapped up the story several issues ago.  I'm guessing editorial asked him to pad the ending so they could have very special issue #75 mark the beginning of the new creative team and Ben Reilly's run as Spidey.

On the other hand, Amazing is one of two books in 2021 that I'm consistently going to the lcs to pick up and reading as it's released instead of ordering trades from Amazon after the storyline wraps, so there is that.  The other title is Hickman's X-Men book.  

I'm looking forward to 74, but I'm hoping the plot twists are done and they almost certainly aren't.  Preview pages have already tipped off a Mephisto appearance (expected) and I feel like we can count on some strenuous literary gymnastics to get to Peter being taken off the canvas and Ben Reilly taking his place.

Although.... I won't complain too much if AI Harry is a red herring.  That idea has got to be a fakeout, right?

I guess but they already spolied it with the morgue part and the AI. And the preview combined.

Spoiler

Also Mephisto wanted Spider-man's and Mary Jane's love so their child couldn't be born to stop him. Both Spider-Man and Spider-girl are the only one's who can stop his plans of domination.

Edited by D.Z

Ultimately, ASM stuck the landing more than it didn't, but that doesn't mean it was overall good. I might be overly swayed by one image to be honest. I think there was an ok story in all of this mess but the pacing was all wrong. The Kindred reveal should have happened twenty-five issues earlier. The Gabriel and Sarah reveal should have happened around issue 50. Then the next 25 issues could have been slowly unraveling the truth.

What a disaster in pacing overall.

• Like 1