DVDVR Message Board

2021 Marvel Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

I want to like Trial of Magneto but its just so... predictable and dull?
After how fun everything in Hellfire Gala was, this being the follow-up is so "yeah, I see where this is going". Inferno has to be better than this

James

Yeah, i feel the same.  

i would have preferred it if Hickman's run had been smaller in scope and basically contained to books he was actually writing.  I haven't been much interested in the writers and artists on the other X-books and feeling like I need to keep up with them has been annoying.

I liked Marauders  when it started and might the only person that thought Excalibur was fun in a very dumb way). The books overall were just overly interconnected but that's Hickman. It wasn't enough he was doing FF, we had to get Future Foundation to supplement. I love the ambition of the Krakoa story but can't afford or care enough about all of it to keep up with all of it

James

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

I want to like Trial of Magneto but its just so... predictable and dull?
After how fun everything in Hellfire Gala was, this being the follow-up is so "yeah, I see where this is going". Inferno has to be better than this

James

X-Factor was amazing and just so full interacting character moments and brilliant ideas so Trial is just probably heavily editorially driven (from what the interviews have said).

I think that was the thing about the Claremont/Noncenti/Simonson triumvirate. They all worked off  Claremont's vision and even at the peak of Mutant X-Over mania during Inferno, things were still... compartmentalized. It all built to all the key players getting together for the showdown with the big bad.

James

I've been reading via Dawn. So far I'm mostly liked what I've read. Its just that most of the books don't stand strong on their own. Hellions is only a few issues in at vol. 16, but its easily in the top 3. Personally, I think they tried to do too many books. They should have kept it down to 4-5 with everything else just being a mini or one shot.

Today I read Conan the Barbarian #100, which some of you may know is the conclusion to the Belit saga. It wasn't as moving as it might have been if the readers didn't know what was going to happen in advance, but it was beautifully rendered by Buscema and Chan, and a monumental chapter in the series given that Conan spent so many issues with the Black Corsairs. I've been reading Conan and Jonah Hex at the same time, so I've had these duel narratives of Conan and Belit and Jonah and Mei Ling play out simultaneously. I prefer the way Fleisher handled Jonah and Mei Ling to the way Thomas wrote Conan and Belit, but I'm yet to see how Thomas handles the aftermath. 

Curse you DC for cancelling Jonah Hex in 1985! Actually, apparently it escaped cancellation three times. That's unfortunate because I honestly think Fleisher's run is one of the best comic book runs ever. 

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Ben Reilly, the Spider-Man I grew up on alongside Peter Parker written by one of the best Spider-Man writers ever, JM DeMatteis means I'll be adding that to my pull list. One for @twiztor as well.

it is indeed. when i'm at my LCS this afternoon to pick up Nightwing, i'll be adding this!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

hat if the conclusion to Kindred is another swerve and the AI of Harrry is actually a creation of AI Norman Osborn pre-Night Gwen Stacy Died programmed by AI Fearless Fosdick?

James

Hopefully all created by Spencer Smythe?

46 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Hopefully all created by Spencer Smythe?

Spencer Smythe or... AI SPENCER SMYTHE!!!

I honestly think Scott Snyder was plotting this out and was watching Captain America: Civil War and got to the Arnim Zola reveal and suddenly a light bulb went off in his head

This is already better than what the ending to this will actually be!

James

38 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Spencer Smythe or... AI SPENCER SMYTHE!!!

I honestly think Scott Snyder was plotting this out and was watching Captain America: Civil War and got to the Arnim Zola reveal and suddenly a light bulb went off in his head

This is already better than what the ending to this will actually be!

James

Hopefully all masterminded by AI JJJ.