DVDVR Message Board

2021 Marvel Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

On 9/3/2021 at 9:10 AM, The Natural said:

Thinking about the comic books I've read, the second half is usually inferior to the first like Joseph Michael Straczynski and Dan Slott's runs on The Amazing Spider-Man. Rarer still is a great run from beginning to end without a dip in quality. I can only say that about Grant Morrison's Batman, Frank Miller's Daredevil and Tom King's Vision.

Frank's Daredevil run is epic. It brought life into the character and paved the way for Bendis and Brubaker.  Have you read Bendis and Brubaker DD yet?  How about Mark Waid's?  Curious your opinion on them if so. 

Really, you should be asking people if they read the Kesel run. The others are the standard creators people say when talking DD (even if the 2nd half of Bendis drags like cray). Kesel's for me is the closest in tone to Stan's vision of the character until Waid found the perfect balance of Stan, Kesel and Miller

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

ASM #73... my head hurts just reading th esynopsis. It' convoluted and crazy and utterly Spider-Man. Pretty much every little guess we had about Kindred is kinda right. But... I need some Advil after reading that

James

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, J.H. said:

ASM #73... my head hurts just reading th esynopsis. It' convoluted and crazy and utterly Spider-Man. Pretty much every little guess we had about Kindred is kinda right. But... I need some Advil after reading that

James

You and me both. Paul.

Edited by The Natural

Way too much crap to introduce in a third act of a big story. Especially crap that hasn't been relevant for fifteen years. They needed to seed it more earlier in this run if they were going to do this. I get wanting to write it out but there are easier ways to do it than to make it part of the last set of reveals to a multi-year story.

Though, honestly, is there anyone even reading Amazing Spider-Man at this point that isn't a twenty-five year long reader?

• Like 2

Its' baiscally like Spencer took the threads of the last great Spidey stories of the 90s, along with the worst major Spidey story of the 90s and the most reviled Spidey story of the 00s and put in a blender to make Schwazenegger's ppureed pizza smoothie from End of Days

James

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm kinda loathing the new twists.

Spoiler

I don't mind them undoing Sins of the Past too much, though I don't dislike Sins as much as most people and am not all that interested in the "husks" idea.  The reveal that Kindred is basically the Grey Gobin twins is sort of a copout since the Sarah Stacy Kindred identity stayed out of the spotlight and the Harry Kindred did all the heavy lifting, leading us to think Kindred was one person.

Beyond that.... AI Harry Osborn?  Ugh.  Even ignoring how many retcons it takes to make that work, it's a lot less interesting to me than supernatural demon from Hell.

Beyond that, way too many retcons in this issue.  Retconning Sins Past was enough of a twist.  Retconning a bunch of stories going all the way back to Lifedeath (I think that was the title?) is too much.  They hand-waved events away multiple times with "Oh, Mysterio did his illusion thingy."  I'm almost certain that's not going to hold water if I think about it for more than a sec.

Beyond that (lol), Mephisto too?  I mean, I think Mephisto's still the big bad here.  Still trying to tie in Mephisto and Dr. Strange('s death) is just too much.  And, if it is Mephisto, it seems like that conflict plays out with Dr. Strange standing in for Peter, so that's not much of a satisfying conclusion after all Mephisto has done to mess with Peter's life.  On the other hand, I don't really want to see Peter Parker's soul beat up Mephisto, so i dunno.

Just too, too much.  I like the plot twist that Norman Osborn sold Harry's soul to Mephisto before Harry was born, but that idea already seems like its miles in the rear-view mirror.  And having AI Harry take revenge for that is... whatever.  For that matter, having Pete's life affected by two - count them, TWO - separate deals with the devil is a helluva coincidence.  Not really digging Marvel's efforts to set Mephisto up as the ultimate big bad who's been manipulating Marvel history for decades.  Surely, Dr. Strange or one of the god-level supernatural characters in the Marvel universe would have gotten a whiff of that before now?

Lol. and they still have to shoehorn Ben Reilly into this mess somehow.  That's going to be something.  I'll reserve judgment until I see how they do it, but i've never really warmed up to the Ben Reilly character and the "is he or isn't he the clone" storyline.

Wouldn't be overly surprised if they backtrack on the Clone Saga and reveal Pete is really the clone after all.  How?  Why?  Mysterio did his illusion thingy again.

I'm going to pick up 74, but I'm doubling down on what I said before.  Mostly, I just want this storyline - and Spencer's run - to end.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Way too much crap to introduce in a third act of a big story. Especially crap that hasn't been relevant for fifteen years. They needed to seed it more earlier in this run if they were going to do this. I get wanting to write it out but there are easier ways to do it than to make it part of the last set of reveals to a multi-year story.

Though, honestly, is there anyone even reading Amazing Spider-Man at this point that isn't a twenty-five year long reader?

Yeah, the seeds need to be planted earlier. The pacing of Nick Spencer's run on The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) has been poor, one of the biggest weaknesses.

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

Its' baiscally like Spencer took the threads of the last great Spidey stories of the 90s, along with the worst major Spidey story of the 90s and the most reviled Spidey story of the 00s and put in a blender to make Schwazenegger's ppureed pizza smoothie from End of Days

James

Yeah.

31 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Yeah, I'm kinda loathing the new twists.

Reveal hidden contents

I don't mind them undoing Sins of the Past too much, though I don't dislike Sins as much as most people and am not all that interested in the "husks" idea.  The reveal that Kindred is basically the Grey Gobin twins is sort of a copout since the Sarah Stacy Kindred identity stayed out of the spotlight and the Harry Kindred did all the heavy lifting, leading us to think Kindred was one person.

Beyond that.... AI Harry Osborn?  Ugh.  Even ignoring how many retcons it takes to make that work, it's a lot less interesting to me than supernatural demon from Hell.

Beyond that, way too many retcons in this issue.  Retconning Sins Past was enough of a twist.  Retconning a bunch of stories going all the way back to Lifedeath (I think that was the title?) is too much.  They hand-waved events away multiple times with "Oh, Mysterio did his illusion thingy."  I'm almost certain that's not going to hold water if I think about it for more than a sec.

Beyond that (lol), Mephisto too?  I mean, I think Mephisto's still the big bad here.  Still trying to tie in Mephisto and Dr. Strange('s death) is just too much.  And, if it is Mephisto, it seems like that conflict plays out with Dr. Strange standing in for Peter, so that's not much of a satisfying conclusion after all Mephisto has done to mess with Peter's life.  On the other hand, I don't really want to see Peter Parker's soul beat up Mephisto, so i dunno.

Just too, too much.  I like the plot twist that Norman Osborn sold Harry's soul to Mephisto before Harry was born, but that idea already seems like its miles in the rear-view mirror.  And having AI Harry take revenge for that is... whatever.  For that matter, having Pete's life affected by two - count them, TWO - separate deals with the devil is a helluva coincidence.  Not really digging Marvel's efforts to set Mephisto up as the ultimate big bad who's been manipulating Marvel history for decades.  Surely, Dr. Strange or one of the god-level supernatural characters in the Marvel universe would have gotten a whiff of that before now?

Lol. and they still have to shoehorn Ben Reilly into this mess somehow.  That's going to be something.  I'll reserve judgment until I see how they do it, but i've never really warmed up to the Ben Reilly character and the "is he or isn't he the clone" storyline.

Wouldn't be overly surprised if they backtrack on the Clone Saga and reveal Pete is really the clone after all.  How?  Why?  Mysterio did his illusion thingy again.

I'm going to pick up 74, but I'm doubling down on what I said before.  Mostly, I just want this storyline - and Spencer's run - to end.

I've liked that Nick Spencer is trying to fix mistakes:

Spoiler
  • Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson back together.
  • Black Cat under Dan Slott.
  • Putting Kraven the Hunter back into the ground in Hunted.
  • Touching on One More Day.
  • Retcon Sins Past.
  • Sins Past is the second worst Spider-Man story ever, One More Day is #1. Two of the worst comic book stories ever.

As noted, the pacing needed work and the second half of the run is not at the level of the first part. It's convoluted, swerving.

Edited by The Natural

I take back my "Kindred will be Dusty Rhodes under a Midnight Rider mask" joke. Harrry Osborn is totally Vince as The Higher Power revea! It's almost as bad revealing Norman Osborn, dead some 20years at that point, was actually behind the Clone Saga

Jamesl

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 10:00 AM, Matt D said:

I read via trades and started only in the 2010s. I've onyl seen the summary of what is going on in the latest issues, but it sounds convoluted as fuck.

I want to like Trial of Magneto but its just so... predictable and dull?
After how fun everything in Hellfire Gala was, this being the follow-up is so "yeah, I see where this is going". Inferno has to be better than this

James