DVDVR Message Board

2021 Marvel Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Multiverse Avengers, Hickman era Wolverine books about lives and deaths, Timeless is Kang, and Reckoning War has ties to the first Secret War or whatever they meant.

E-IfcTdXsAE5MQE?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by D.Z

I wish Avengers Forever was a sequel to the mini.  With Busiek and Pacheco.  Aaron's run has run out of steam for me.

The thought of Slott writing some sort of mega-crossover/FF event just makes me feel tired.  He lost me from the jump.  The nicest thing I'll say about his FF run is that it isn't his Iron Man run.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

I wish Avengers Forever was a sequel to the mini.  With Busiek and Pacheco.  Aaron's run has run out of steam for me.

The thought of Slott writing some sort of mega-crossover/FF event just makes me feel tired.  He lost me from the jump.  The nicest thing I'll say about his FF run is that it isn't his Iron Man run.

Both sucked. Shame Fantastic Four was brought back as an ongoing and Dan Slott got it. Slott was hit and miss on Spider-Man. Some great stuff: Big Time/No One Dies/The Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 1) and the awful: The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3)/The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4) made me drop the book. Should have sooner. Slott's time to go was when TSSM (Vol. 1) ended. The books that followed really taint Dan's run on the title.

Edited by The Natural

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Both sucked. Shame Fantastic Four was brought back as an ongoing and Dan Slott got it. Slott was hit and miss on Spider-Man. Some great stuff: Big Time/No One Dies/The Superior Spider-Man (Vol. 1) and the awful: The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 3)/The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 4) made me drop the book. Should have sooner. Slott's time to go was when TSSM (Vol. 1) ended. The books that followed really taint Dan's run on the title.

I mostly liked Slott's run through the Spider-verse crossover.  In general, I thought most of his Amazing run was enjoyable and Superior Spider-Man was outstanding.  He probably should have left Spider-Man when Superior wrapped.  Pete's return would have been a natural end point, and it didn't seem like Slott had much left to say after that point.

That said, Spider-Man is the only title I've ever liked from Slott.  My opinion of him is that he's an average writer who had one great run in him, rather than being a great writer.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, D.Z said:

Multiverse Avengers, Hickman era Wolverine books about lives and deaths, Timeless is Kang, and Reckoning War has ties to the first Secret War or whatever they meant.

E-IfcTdXsAE5MQE?format=jpg&name=small

Only interested in Devil's Rage by the current Daredevil ongoing team of writer Chip Zdarsky and artist Marco Checchetto.

• Like 1

Another series I wrapped up was Earth X. I'm not a huge fan of dystopian future storytelling these days (perhaps because we're living in one right now), but the series grew on me towards the end. I'm not in a rush to read the sequels, but the art was nice and there was some intrigue, which is all I really hope for from a comic. 

3 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Another series I wrapped up was Earth X. I'm not a huge fan of dystopian future storytelling these days (perhaps because we're living in one right now), but the series grew on me towards the end. I'm not in a rush to read the sequels, but the art was nice and there was some intrigue, which is all I really hope for from a comic. 

There are just so many of them these days (well, since the 40s), they water eacjh other down.

BIG Kindred spoiler in the preview for The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #73:

Spoiler

Amazing-Spider-Man-6.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w

Various thoughts as they come to mind:

• Gwen Stacy is Kindred when for a good chunk of the run was said to be Harry Osborn? Big swerve there.
  • Is this the original Gwen Stacy who died in The Night Gwen Stacy Died, The Amazing Spider-Man #121-122? A classic in comic book history. If it's that Gwen, it's something than a clone which I'll come onto next.
  • Another Gwen Stacy clone like we've had in the Original Clone Saga, the 1990s Clone Saga and Sins Past? Sarah Stacy from the reviled latter?
  • As noted, hell of a spoiler to put into a preview. Accident? Deliberate to get people talking?
  • Note the "no" as well. A fakeout?
  • Two Kindreds?
  • Chameleon shenanigans to fall back on.
  • This is the second to last issue of Nick Spencer's run so time's running out to stick the landing even though The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #74 is 80 pages long.

Thoughts?

Edited by The Natural

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Thoughts?

Ugh?

It feels like a red herring to me, but mostly I just want this story to reach some sort of conclusion.  I've liked most of Spencer's run and the Kindred mystery was well-done for awhile, but it's been downhill for me since the reveal.  I don't feel like the story needs any more twists or false finishes this late in the game.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Ugh?

It feels like a red herring to me, but mostly I just want this story to reach some sort of conclusion.  I've liked most of Spencer's run and the Kindred mystery was well-done for awhile, but it's been downhill for me since the reveal.  I don't feel like the story needs any more twists or false finishes this late in the game.  

3 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

Well it's better than what I thought it was going to be (pre-OMD Aunt May)...

Agreed. When we were waiting for Kindred's identity, I thought it would be one of:

Spoiler

Pre-OMD Peter Parker, the original Gwen Stacy, Norman Osborn, pre-OMD Harry Osborn or Ezekiel Sims.

Thinking about the comic books I've read, the second half is usually inferior to the first like Joseph Michael Straczynski and Dan Slott's runs on The Amazing Spider-Man. Rarer still is a great run from beginning to end without a dip in quality. I can only say that about Grant Morrison's Batman, Frank Miller's Daredevil and Tom King's Vision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Agreed. When we were waiting for Kindred's identity, I thought it would be one of:

Reveal hidden contents

Pre-OMD Peter Parker, the original Gwen Stacy, Norman Osborn, pre-OMD Harry Osborn or Ezekiel Sims.

Forgot:

Spoiler

George Stacy.

26 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hide contents

Do you think it's the original Gwen Stacy or it's a swerve? Can Spencer sell this change? Won't have long to wait.

Spoiler

Isn't the daughter/clone still around? I assume its her or a fake out opposed to the original. Making it the original would just be a good way to piss off fans. Like Uncle Ben, Gwen kind of needs to stay dead. 

In the end its as you have said before about whether or not Spencer can make his ending stick the landing whatever the truth of the reveal is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Unless we're  getting another swerve and its Gwen's daughter

James

Yeah, Sarah Stacy from the terrible Sins Past. Sins Past and One More Day really taint the great things from Joseph Michael Strazcynski's run on The Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home, The Conversation, Doomed Affairs and how well he wrote a mature Peter Parker/Mary Jane Watson/Aunt May. Hell he made something out of Aunt May!

Edited by The Natural

Strazcynski's run on the book is probably my favorite Spidey run.  I'm even a heretic who doesn't like JRJR's art much.

I enjoyed Sins Past and One More Day.  I'm not crazy about the ideas behind each story (Gwen and Norman had kids together; supernatural hocus pocus hand-waves away Pete's marriage and other baggage).  I don't like the ideas behind the stories and how they affected continuity, buy my understanding is that the plots were editorial decisions and Stracyzynski just made the best he could out of it.   I actually think Sins Past turned out well, but fans hated the idea of Norman and Gwen having kids together.  In general, I dislike introducing characters or plot points that should have been mentioned earlier but never were ("I'd like to you meet my best friend who I've never mentioned before even though we've been married for ten years").

23 hours ago, The Natural said:

Thinking about the comic books I've read, the second half is usually inferior to the first like Joseph Michael Straczynski and Dan Slott's runs on The Amazing Spider-Man. Rarer still is a great run from beginning to end without a dip in quality. I can only say that about Grant Morrison's Batman, Frank Miller's Daredevil and Tom King's Vision.

Yeah, most good-great runs on Marvel/DC books end weaker than they started.  Peter David's run on Hulk, Busiek's run on Avengers, Wolfman's run on Teen Titans, John's run on Green Lantern, etc. It's really hard to spend a couple years on a book at the Big Two and tell the story you want the way you want.  Either editorial talks you into staying too long on the book and you run out of ideas or you have to adjust your plans to shoehorn in crossovers and other editorial mandates.  Or you just get booted off the book in the middle of a story because the company wants to reboot the book with a new #1 and decides to change creative teams in the bargain.    

• Like 1