DVDVR Message Board

2021 Marvel Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

45 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Isn't Inferno just the middle of his saga?

I thought it was the end of his run?  Not sure what gave me that idea.

I guess Inferno isn't the end of the Hickman run?

I was expecting 

Spoiler

Mystique to burn it all down.  Perhaps literally (I expect Krakoa is kind of flammable).  Leading to some sort of complete Moira reset.

Edited by Eoae

16 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I thought it was the end of his run?  Not sure what gave me that idea.

I guess Inferno isn't the end of the Hickman run?

I was expecting 

Hide contents

Mystique to burn it all down.  Perhaps literally (I expect Krakoa is kind of flammable).  Leading to some sort of complete Moira reset.

I heard something about us only being in maybe part two or three of whatever he has planned. I'm sure Inferno will be big, but

Spoiler

I don't expect anything to be burnt down fully with the changes they have just made like terraforming Mars, Wanda's death, etc. That feels like something they want going on at least a year. Besides we know from one of the House/Powers books this stuff went pretty far into the future. Obviously we won't go that far, but I expect them to at least get to the point of referencing stuff from then in a big way before its over.

Ok so I know I'm what getting close to 20 years late reading this... What I gave up on Marvel in the mid 90s and didn't bother catching up until a few years ago...

Punisher Born-TPB

Found this cheap on Amazon. ALways loved Frank Castle as a kid. But while I have enjoyed what I have read I haven't read but a tiny bit of Ennis' run on the character. Got this in 2 days ago. DAMN the art was gorgeous,well as gorgeous as a bloody brutal war story can be. Ennis for me captures the mindset of Castle perfectly. And those last few pages with Frank coming home and seeing his family and realizing what he had to sacrifice to get what he has always wanted.... That was chilling.

I know about the Platoon mini,and looking for a cheap copy right now. But yea I need to just start buying the omnibus or hardcovers of Ennis longish run on Punisher.

• Like 1

I changed my tune about Mike Ploog's work on Werewolf by Night just in time for him to leave the book. To be fair, I didn't realize that the story began in Marvel Spotlight. The first issue of the ongoing series was a bit jarring in retrospect. I still think some of his panels are way off, but I like the overall aesthetic he brought to the title, especially his designs for the villains. 

On 7/15/2021 at 4:27 AM, bobholly138 said:

Ok so I know I'm what getting close to 20 years late reading this... What I gave up on Marvel in the mid 90s and didn't bother catching up until a few years ago...

Punisher Born-TPB

Found this cheap on Amazon. ALways loved Frank Castle as a kid. But while I have enjoyed what I have read I haven't read but a tiny bit of Ennis' run on the character. Got this in 2 days ago. DAMN the art was gorgeous,well as gorgeous as a bloody brutal war story can be. Ennis for me captures the mindset of Castle perfectly. And those last few pages with Frank coming home and seeing his family and realizing what he had to sacrifice to get what he has always wanted.... That was chilling.

I know about the Platoon mini,and looking for a cheap copy right now. But yea I need to just start buying the omnibus or hardcovers of Ennis longish run on Punisher.

I bought the Ennis Omnibus books 3 of them and I instantly wanted to read more Punisher. The writing, the art, I was hooked. Ebay is a good place to find them. I bought all 3 for roughly $180 total.   Also feel free to DM me as I have another option you may be interested in. 

• Like 1

Spent the last week reading through the first 14 issues of Al Ewing's Guardians of the Galaxy run. Been collecting it for a while, but I was waiting until I could Annihilation Scourge and Empyre only for the pandemic to slow everything the fuck down. Both will hopefully be on their way to me soon, but I got tired of waiting. This might honestly be the best the Guardians book has been since DnA. Not to say its amazing, but Ewing does a good job of bringing things back to the style DnA designed them in while still working well with all of the changes and elements brought on by Bendis, Duggan, and Cates during their runs. Its especially good to see Quill back to the character he was before Gunn's movie. I love what Gunn and Pratt did in the MCU, but I preferred the less goofball, more serious Quill who was trying to protect the galaxy after crazy shit like Annihilation and Ultron went down. The Master of Sun stuff and Quill's subsequent upgrade was an interesting direction to take, especially with him now having lived a completely different life away from the team for a hundred+ years. The Greek Pantheon's rebirth was interesting though it feels like something more could have been done there. I do like how they resembled New Gods. Hopefully more is done later. Herc and Marvel Boy fit in quite well, and I like the Prince of Power character. Was never fond of them replacing Moondragon and Phylla with alternate universe versions, but I liked what Ewing did here to give them more of their own story and personalities. That said, not sure on merging the two Moondragons though it does create some interesting conflict within their relationship. Its good to see Nova actually on the team this time around and pretty much leading with Quill. Always felt weird that it didn't happen even during DnA's run. Similarly I'm happy to see Quasar and am looking forward to seeing how Wendell, and I guess the new girl, are used. Curious to see how things with Doom turn out. Only thign I wish now was that the original Darkhawk was a member though that won't happen with a new one coming in.

13 hours ago, Bear Wyatt said:

Don't know if anyone here is reading the BETA RAY BILL limited series but the writer/artist must be a wrestling fan.  Bill uses Shingo's Made In Japan on a certain all-powerful villain in the latest issue.  

I'm not but would like to at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally read Annihilation Scourge. Dug the general concept, but it lack the gravitas of the original Annihilation and Conquest. Its a bit too short, needed more focus on Nova considering his importance, and felt a bit too superheroey. I know with the latter it should be expected of Marvel event, but at the same time the reason the past Annihilation events worked so well was kind of because they were less superhero focused in style and more war stories before they hit adventure style finales. Its not bad overall, just disappointing because you can see what it could have been.

CAPAIM2021001-cov.jpg

Marvel Comics has announced that Captain America and Iron Man will star in their own team-up comic book series this November. Written by Derek Landy (Falcon & Winter Soldier) with art by Ángel Unzueta (Star Wars).

Be interesting to see how this Captain America/Iron Man team-up book turns out. Awesome cover by Alex Ross.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I finished J. M. DeMatteis' run on Captain America. It took me a while to get through it as it wasn't a huge page turner for me, but I made it to the end. The reason I wanted to read the run was that I've always liked DeMatteis as a writer, and I really like the work he did on Spectacular Spider-Man in the 90s. DeMatteis likes to put his characters through a lot of anguish and mental torment, and they lash out at their loved ones a lot. We got plenty of that here. He really dug deep into the soul of the man, Steve Rogers. Captain America isn't a favorite of mine, and strikes me as a difficult character to write much like Wonder Woman or Superman, but DeMatteis did an excellent job of portraying Cap as more than just a symbol or an icon, but a guy with all sorts of anxieties. But he was also a guy who had hope, and believed in people and the values and ideals of his country. Now, a lot of that stuff is difficult to relate to as a non-American, but DeMatteis certainly explored it in depth.

One thing I love about DeMatteis' work is the relationship between the hero and his antagonist. He develops these incredibly complex relationships between the hero and villain that aren't purely black and white. In Spectacular Spider-Man, it was the relationship between Peter Parker and Harry Osborn. In Captain America, it was Cap vs. the Red Skull. I don't know how much of Red Skull's backstory DeMatteis invented for this run, but the issue where Red Skull tells his life's story to Cap while Cap doesn't say a word the entire issue was a phenomenal piece of storytelling. Another thing i love about DeMatteis work is that you get those pages with no dialogue or captions that let the art tell the story, and those standalone pages are always emotionally powerful.

For the most part, I thought the art was serviceable. Zeck did some good stuff before they pinched him for Secret Wars. DeMatteis' final issue was re-written by the editors, and he quit the series in anger which is a bummer, but overall I thought it was a decent run. I doubt it's something I'll revisit, but I'm glad I stuck it out to the end.  

FWIW, I highly recommend DeMatteis' run on Cap.  I prefer it to his Spectacular Spider-Man run, partly because of the art,  Really liked Zeck's work on the book.  I'm a huge DeMatteis fan.  He was a very good writer and i think it's fair to say he was ahead of his time in trying to elevate the quality of writing in the medium.

Really wish he had continued on the book.  His idea for where to take the character after the Red Skull showdown was way to radical for the time (it would probably be way too radical for 2021), but would have been fascinating and I don't think anyone has tried that idea in a Marvel/DC book in the 30 years since.  Supposedly, Zeck was going to rejoin the book after 300.

For those that don't know the backstory.

Spoiler

The year-long Cap/Red Skull story was supposed to end with Steve Rogers giving up some of his ideals and becoming a pacifist.  Later, he was going to have a falling out with his partner, Nomad, over his new stance and Nomad would apparently kill Steve.  Black Crow - a Native American super-hero DeMatteis created a year earlier - would have eventually taken over the Captain America identity.

Editor Mark Gruenwald approved the story and DeMatteis was fairly far along writing issues 301-312 when Jim Shooter got wind of the new direction for the book.  Shooter vetoed it and someone - probably Shooter himself - rewrote a fair bit of issue 300, changing the ending and cutting out a lot of material.  

DeMatteis immediately quit the book in protest.  Years later, he wrote in his online blog that that Shooter was probably right that Cap would never become a pacifist.  

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I was trying to think of my favorite Dematteis runs and I kept coming up with Ostrander runs instead. 

My favorites would probably be: 

Defenders, Captain America, Spectacular Spider-Man, Kraven's Last Hunt & assorted Spider-Man stories her wrote after Last Hunt, Spectre (the Hal Jordan series w/ Ryan Sook an art)

His creator-owned stuff for Epic & Vertigo is generally very interesting. I was really into Moonshadow & Blood: A Tale.  Greenberg the Vampire is a lot of fun.  Brooklyn Dreams for DC's Paradox Press imprint is interesting.  I think I really liked Seekers Into Mystery for Vertigo, but i literally remember nothing about it except I enjoyed it.  Apparently I've lost or gotten rid of the issues sometime in the past 25 years.  Probably be buying them off eBay this afternoon.

DeMatteis is my favorite comics writer pre-British Invasion (Moore, Morrison, Gaiman).  I dislike very little of what he wrote pre-Justice League.  Weirdly, I really dislike his JL/JLI work with Giffen and, after that, he dropped a lot of the philosophizing and voiceover narration and started incorporating humor into his scripts.  

Spectre is probably my favorite late-career DeMatteis book because he delved back into philosophical themes and kept the tone fairly heavy; no dumb humor or regular one-liners.  Ryan Sook doing art on the first year of the title didn't hurt either.