DVDVR Message Board

2021 Marvel Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Thinking ahead to the next creative team on The Amazing Spider-Man:

Writer:
Christopher Yost but that's not happening, unfortunately. So underrated.
Chip Zdarsky. I think he's going to stick, no pun intended with limited series like Life Story. I adore Finale from Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310 as does @Matt D. In my top 10 Spider-Man stories ever.
Peter J Tomasi reuniting with Patrick Gleason, I'd really like.
Gerry Duggan mostly hits than misses. Rather have him with Brian Posehn, the Deadpool run by both was great.

Artists:
Patrick Gleason with PJT.
Ryan Stegman.
Marcos Martin.
Russell Dauterman.
Elena Casagrande is the star of the Black Widow book.

They should have never put Polaris in the X-Men vote. It screws up X-Factor, means they don't elevate a character that wasn't already focused upon, and she was sort of a ringer since there's always been a weirdly obsessed Polaris fanbase online.

Never voted, but I was actually kind of rooting for Polaris. Most of the other choices didn't interest me, and I'm trade reading via the library so I'm way the hell behind. I forgot X-Factor had started up again when they first announced those votes.

Alternatively Spider-Man vs. Kindred. We know some things about Kindred but at this point we should know everything like how Harry Osborn became Kindred, is this the Harry before One More Day and the OMD teases. Just undo the worst Spider-Man story ever and one of the worst comics ever too!

• Like 1

To go with the above:

Sinister-War.jpg

Have to say I have very little interest in this. Sinister Twelve only came together in Hunted and nothing since then. I don't like the revert to status quo from the Superior Spider-Man to Doctor Octopus (that's on Marvel and Christos Gage) Really didn't like the backup story in this weeks Amazing Spider-Man #64:

Spoiler

Doctor Octopus in a graveyard trying to fill in the gaps since making his return as Doc Ock. One of Kindred's centipedes enter Otto's ear and drops in pain so I see Kindred in control of Octavius.

Annoyed that it's a separate book rather than in The Amazing Spider-Man. One of the worst things about Nick Spencer's despite really liking the majority of the run.

Edited by The Natural

• 2 weeks later...

I thoroughly enjoyed Grant Morrison's New X-Men once I accepted it for what it was -- "new" X-Men. It's the most modern take on the X-Men that I've read, which is kind of amusing given it's twenty years old. I didn't mind the art. A lot of the art on writer driven Vertigo/DC stuff can be just as inconsistent. The covers bothered me more than the interiors. Are modern covers usually like that or was it particular to New X-Men? I wasn't thrilled with the final couple of arcs, especially the big reveal, but I was keen to read more right up until Morrison walked. I'd have to read a hell of a lot more modern comics to know where the run stands in the grand scheme of things, but for me it was a unique and enlightening experience even if it's not really a modern comic anymore.

I also finished Michael Golden's run on The 'Nam. Not bad. Is there a compelling reason why I should keep reading it now that Golden is gone?

JRJR's run on Punisher War Zone was fun. It was blatantly exploitative -- the Punisher was jacked, his guns were huge, and he had relations with women, but I liked Dixon's scripts. It was grim, but the mental anguish was kept to a minimum, the action was good, and it was a pretty good story arc considering it was the third bloody Punisher title on the market. Your mileage will vary, however. 

I was less keen on Weapon X. I know everyone was gaga for Wolverine's origin story back in the day, but it didn't do much for me as a read. I suppose the art was nice, but is it really what I want to see BWS pencil? I dunno. He seemed to borrow a lot of writing tics from Claremont as well, especially snippets of conversation that take place offscreen. 

Another title I read was Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee's Inhumans. I've been trying to find good Marvel comics from the 90s since it's such an unpopular era. I appreciate that they tried to do something with the Inhumans, but I have to question whether there was enough story to justify a 12 issue mini-series, and the entire thing felt too dark. Jae Lee does some beautiful looking close-ups, but his storytelling lacks fluidity. So often it looks like characters are standing around posing (usually grimly.) The series had its moments, but not a favorite. Lee drew a great Lockjaw, though.

Finally, after a long, hard slog, I finished Gerber's Man-Thing. Well, that's not entirely true, I still have some of the Giant Size issues to go, but it's a series I'm glad to have put behind me. I get why Gerber wrote the series the way he did because of the inherent limitations of the main character, and I can understand why people thought his take on the comics medium was revolutionary at the time. I guess having grown up in the era of independent comics and creator owed titles that it's not as special as it was in the 70s. Some of the satire feels dated, or should I say of its time, and I never quite got into the mesh of fantasy elements, social commentary, and deconstruction of the comics medium. I feel like a bit of a philistine, but you can't enjoy 'em all. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 3:32 PM, D.Z said:

New Defenders Miniseries by Ewing. The Red woman below is Harpy aka Betty Ross.

Defenders.jpeg

been mulling this over in my head. I've been excited for the story of the Masked Raider since Marvel Comics #1000, but unsure about if i'm interested enough in a Defenders series to follow along. With this only being 5 issues, i'm probably in. Intrigued by the woman at the top (Cloud). i don't know anything about her so i should probably check out wikipedia first.

• Like 2

I've been going through some of the Giant Size comics from the 70s. It's amazing to me that you had Conan the Barbarian, Savage Sword of Conan, Savage Tales, and Giant Size Conan, and yet I' m not sick of the character. A large part of that is due to the art as Thomas always seemed to get great artists working on his scripts, but it's also because Conan is such a reliable character. You know no matter what happens that Conan is going to be Conan. I think it's his nobility that appeals to me the most. That age-old trope that the uncouth barbarian is the most noble soul of all.

I've also been impressed with the effort Gerber put into his Giant Size comics compared to other writers of the day. Gerber's Giant Size comics feel like proper issues of the regular title. I actually kind of enjoy his Giant Size Man-Thing issues more than the ongoing title. I wrapped up Gerber's run on Howard the Duck the other day. On the whole, I'd probably rate it higher than his Man-Thing, but I didn't find it as funny as folks did in the 70s. Colan's art was decent, but with Colan, I'm starting to believe that nothing outside of Tomb of Dracula compares.

I started reading Werewolf By Night the other day, which I really want to like, but Mike Ploog's cartoony art was as off-putting to me as Michael Golden on 'The Nam. I guess I had a certain expectation of Werewolf as a horror title. I'll see how far I get on the book.

I also finished Kirby's The Eternals, which I thought was a book that had a lot of great concepts and great art, but was deeply flawed. I enjoyed the first year or so of issues, but the book fell off the rails pretty quickly and was cancelled shortly thereafter.

Had a chance to go to a shop today and flip thru this weeks HR books. Just underwhelming, although I liked the idea of retro art on the ASM death of Gwen Stacy homage issue.

I wonder how many people bought that Hellfire Gala fashion issue.