DVDVR Message Board

2021 Marvel Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

13 minutes ago, Ace said:

"No, this time we'll make you care about the Squadron Supreme! We swear!"

On that note, remember Marvel trying to make Inhumans a thing in the comics and MCU as Marvel Studios didn't own the X-Men rights at the time? Man, that was bad.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, The Natural said:

On that note, remember Marvel trying to make Inhumans a thing in the comics and MCU as Marvel Studios didn't own the X-Men rights at the time? Man, that was bad.

Lol, hard to believe that push failed.

I really liked the Supreme Power books (from JMS).  After that, though, trying to stuff Squadron Supreme back into the mainstream Marvel Universe feels odd to me.

• Like 1

So Heroes Reborn is just an arc in Aaron's Avengers run. I actually think that is fine. The idea that the Squadron or Coulson remade reality so they are in the Avengers' role somehow makes sense to me.

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Always annoyed me because this happened right after I finished reading the cosmic side of things where they were placed kind of perfectly ruling over the Kree.

• Like 1

Nice I always liked the SS and they're using Punisher as Venom again or it's the Red Skull. Cap is still frozen, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch born as one person, Tony prob some evil weapons seller, and Carol is just airplane girl. Blade is the only person who remembers the real universe.

Ties in and length wil be announced later.

Edited by D.Z

https://www.marvel.com/characters/x-men-vote

It's a tough call. Hickman does great stuff with Sunspot (to the extent that'll probably be my pick) but Boom Boom is pretty much the most consistently entertaining character in the MU. She, Sam, and Bobby all have a home in New Mutants already though, and Guido is persona non grata. Banshee is a character I like but I feel like they'd have to trudge through a lot of baggage (even with this version of X-Men that's set up to avoid at least some of that) given that he died and was a zombie or a horseman before that or whatever. I actually really like Tempo as a character back from her reluctant MLF days but she hasn't had character development in 30 years.

Edited by Matt D

Is Heroes Reborn tying in with the rest of the Marvel line?  Marvel's billing it as ongoing monthly series (replacing Avengers) so it theoretically could go a couple years before the status quo gets restored, but I can't see Marvel hamstringing it's other books for very long.  Apparently Heroes Reborn opens with Steve Rogers still frozen in ice because the Avengers never formed and thus never rescued him.  So where does that leave Cap's monthly?

Kinda digging the idea, but it seems too radical to fully explore the concept before editorial pressures Aaron to undo the changes.

The original Heroes Reborn went on for a year, maybe the same for this and I guess all other books except ties in carry on as regular Marvel.

What comes after Heroes Reborn is the thing to look out for.

29 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Is Heroes Reborn tying in with the rest of the Marvel line?  Marvel's billing it as ongoing monthly series (replacing Avengers) so it theoretically could go a couple years before the status quo gets restored, but I can't see Marvel hamstringing it's other books for very long.  Apparently Heroes Reborn opens with Steve Rogers still frozen in ice because the Avengers never formed and thus never rescued him.  So where does that leave Cap's monthly?

Kinda digging the idea, but it seems too radical to fully explore the concept before editorial pressures Aaron to undo the changes.

Wait what?

It’s just a story within Avengers. A thought experiment to play with the toys a bit. I’m sure it has a set end to it, as it should. You don’t do something like this without it having a beginning, middle, and end.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Wait what?

It’s just a story within Avengers. A thought experiment to play with the toys a bit. I’m sure it has a set end to it, as it should. You don’t do something like this without it having a beginning, middle, and end.

That's prob why most folks have positive memories of AOA. It was a shirt and finite series, not an unending series. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Wait what?

That's what I think.  But I've seen several outlets today describe is an ongoing series replacing Avengers.  And Aaron is hinting he has a lot of stories to tell, so.... I'm assuming it's a limited event series like King in Black, but not sure.  Nothing I've seen today specifically says how many issues Reborn is going to be, or even makes it clear that it is a limited series.

If I had to guess, it runs about nine issues and wraps up with what would have been Avengers 50 (though who knows how significant that still is, given how many times they've restarted the numbering).