DVDVR Message Board

2021 Marvel Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (Vol. 1): Getting the Band Back Together collects The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #1-6. This series focuses on the villains side and an iteration of the Sinister Six with Boomerang/Shocker/Overdrive/Speed Demon/the new Beetle. Yes there are only five of them as they commit crimes, have meetings and try to stay out of jail. A super and very funny read with the aforementioned storytelling from the rogues POV. Stands out for that thanks to the writing of Nick Spencer, art by Steve Lieber and Rachelle Rosenberg's colouring.

The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (Vol. 2): The Crime of the Century collects The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #7-11. The new Sinister Six, Boomerang/Shocker/Overdrive/Speed Demon/the new Beetle…yep there's no sixth member. We find out about the new Beetle’s past and Boomerang’s actions continue to catch up to him. A really funny comic though it’s a shame we lose regular writer Nick Spencer for two issues, regular artist Steve Lieber for three and colour art from Rachelle Rosenberg also for three. #10 had a different creative team but fell not much short to their level which is creditable unlike #11 by another fill-in team, easily the worst issue of the book’s history.

The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (Vol. 3): Game Over collects The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #12-17 about the Sinister Six, Boomerang/Shocker/Overdrive/Speed Demon/the new Beetle who are the Sinister Six but under false pretence as there’s only five of them! We get the master of bullshit in Fred Myers who’s Boomerang, Overdrive’s origin and double-crosses. So ends the funniest comic book series I ever read laughing out loud frequently and a comic with constant twists. I particularly enjoyed two appearances in the final issue. Thank you to Nick Spencer, Steve Lieber and Rachelle Rosenberg.

I shouldn't be surprised as it's Sony Pictures we're talking about yet I am that The Superior Foes of Spider-Man hasn't had the big screen treatment or made a TV series.

Edited by The Natural

So, Kindred...

Spoiler

WHY is everyone treating him like he's the real Harry?  What happened to the real Harry?  Or are we supposed to assume that he's the one and only Harry and for some reason he's been hiding his demonic powers all this time?

• Like 1

Well that's nice that there's a plan, but considering that Spencer and the Spidey editorial staff couldn't get the frigging Juggernaut right, I'm skeptical it'll make sense.

And, really, I blame editorial more than Spencer.  They should be asking the simple questions.  And it seems that more and more Marvel editors don't talk to each other and/or just don't care any more.  Like, the entire Outlawed storyline should have been nixed when they came back from the pandemic because you have Silk and Miles operating freely in Spidey while they're being hunted in Champions.  And then there's been all the books seemingly ignoring what's happening in Immortal Hulk whenever Thunderbolt Ross appears.

39 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Seems more and more this is the Secret Empire quality Spencer and not the Superior Foes/The Fix quality Spencer. 

I liked Secret Empire quite a bit, so I don’t see a problem.

I’ve got questions about where the story is going; but it seems reasonable to let it play out before I complain.

• Like 1

I've never cared even slightly about the Eternals. but Kieron Gillen's new book has my attention.  Writing was solid in the first issue and the surprise reveal hooked me.

Spoiler

Thanos!  I'm not even a fan of the character.  Just intrigued to see what Gillen can do with him.  Also wondering which Thanos it is.  Cates' Guardian of the Galaxy run revolved around a plot to use Starfox to resurrect Thanos in a fresh body.  The "clone" was seemingly sucked into a black hole and presumably killed, but this is comics, so...

I have been eagerly devouring Roy Thomas & Barry Smith's Conan the Barbarian. I love the early Savage Sword of Conan issues, but for the longest time, I had this impression that the original Conan title was watered down and not worth reading. That was stupid of me. Smith starts out as a Kirby clone in the early issues, but he quickly begins to develop his own style, and within half a dozen issues, his artwork is simply phenomenal. It really is some of the most gorgeous stuff I've seen in comics. Although, I'm up to the Elric crossover right now, and I think that's been a misfire. 

I also read the Chris Claremont & Frank Miller Wolverine mini-series. Having lived in Japan for many years, I thought the representation of Japan was silly (Yakuza, ninjas, etc.), but the art is nice. If you like Miller's early work on Daredevil, you should check out his pencils on the series. 

Didn't Tanahashi do this pose? 

Kind of interesting that they are redoing hated major arcs like this and Clone Saga for Miles Morales. Wonder if there is an inside bet going on them being able to do them better or something.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Didn't Tanahashi do this pose? 

Kind of interesting that they are redoing hated major arcs like this and Clone Saga for Miles Morales. Wonder if there is an inside bet going on them being able to do them better or something.

There you go.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #53.LR written by Nick Spencer and Matthew Rosenberg, the artist is Federico Vicentini and Takeshi Miyazawa in Fallen Order: Part Four. Sin-Eater faces Morlun as the Order of the Web enter the Astral Plane. This was a week issue, Morlun gets jobbed out and it feels like the Last Remains storyline is slow going either needing to be shortened and or losing the Order of the Web. I have liked the use of Doctor Strange both here and in the main storyline from TASM flagship book.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #54 written by Nick Spencer, the artist is Mark Bagley in Last Remains Part Five. This was a graphic issue for the fight between Spider-Man and Kindred and what’s done by Kindred again and again. Marvel messed the solicits up. #53 was billed as “Last Remains continues! If you think you’ve seen a brutal Spider-Man fight before, you are wrong. Do not miss this issue”. It was here instead. There’s a page recreating the Joker’s crowbar attack on Jason Todd in Batman: A Death in the Family and what Knightfall is known for. We’re still waiting how Harley Quinn acquired these powers in hell. Hope Nick Spencer sticks the landing, there’s a lot to cover in TASM #55, the conclusion to the Last Remains arc.

The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 5) #54.LR written by Nick Spencer and Matthew Rosenberg, the artist is Federico Vicentini and Takeshi Miyazawa in Fallen Order: Part Five. Mary Jane Watson tells Norman Osborn what she thinks of him while The Order of the Web battle the Sin-Eater. Without looking back at my Last Remains.LR issues, I’d say this was the best of them. Mary Jane and Norman Osborn are written great, the opening pages of Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #200 is rightly printed, a story I only read for the first time in 2020. There’s a moving paragraph in the editorial by Nick Lowe about the actions of the Sin-Eater in this issue.