DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

@twiztor and others here will be chuffed by Nightwing #78, the first issue of the new creative team, Tom Taylor/Bruno Redondo. Please seek out Batman Annual #3 and Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man #14, Tom Taylor's best. One of the best Batman stories ever and one of the best Spider-Man stories as well.

EwTeTbVWUAMVwXS?format=jpg&name=medium

Ewm1dScXMAM-azy?format=jpg&name=large

18 minutes ago, twiztor said:

early reviews that i've read have been very positive. will pick up my copy tomorrow. very excited.

Credit to you gutting it out through Ric. Enjoy Nightwing #78, my mate!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

American Vampire (Vol. 7). This book collects American Vampire: Second Cycle #1-5 and I got it for Christmas 2015. The title story in American Vampire: Second Cycle #1-4 is written by Scott Snyder and the artist is Rafael Albuquerque, the creators of this series. We’re in 1965 as Pearl Jones uses her house to home vampires as Skinner Sweet robs smugglers. We find out more on the Gray Trader. I liked that role for Pearl but found this story lacking. Same applies to #5’s The Miner’s Journal, the artist is Matias Bergara. It’s about a character mentioned in AV: SC #1-4, he’s a bookkeeper from the Vassals of the Morning Star in 1954. This was a solid story.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out American Vampire (Vol. ? is out in paperback this week so I’ve asked for a copy to be saved at the main comic book shop I go to. I’ve all the other volumes in paperback.

American Vampire (Vol. 8). This book collects American Vampire: Second Cycle #6-11. Dark Moon is written by Scott Snyder and the artist is Rafael Albuquerque. The three Abominus Americana – Skinner Sweet, Pearl Jones and Calvin Poole come together with the VMS to stop the Gray Trader awakening the Beast. Said team need to acquire the weapon to stop it in the 1960s. Some stay on Earth, the other half in Space. This was a great return to form from the previous volume. I completed this in one session. One of two twists are predictable but the big ones aren’t. Ironic Pearl Jones/Skinner Sweet/Felicia Book teaming with their history. To date this is still the last trade release five years ago. C’mon man!

Edited by The Natural

DC solictions are up

Book below should flesh out the new universe and the books.

Infinite Frontier: Secret Files #1

Batman will face GiJoe's SnakeEye in the Batman/Fortnite comic

Some books are getting annuals.

Not sure yet but they might be reverting AzBats to his pre Flashpoint Version. 

Most of the Nu52 is done away with, if writers want to use the Nu52 versions again they can use the other Earth Johns created in Doomsday Clock.

Any elements left that can fit in from Nu52 to post Infinite Frontier Earth 0 will be layered in, and restored characters and origins will be melded in. Some characters will be unified versions. Other characters may have memories of life restored but not the events.

Edited by D.Z

13 hours ago, D.Z said:

Most of the Nu52 is done away with

what's your take on this? specifically long term.

does it label the "New 52" a failed experiment? does it become the biggest stain on Didio's legacy?

or is it just part of the ever-evolving DC Universe, an inevitable outcome of continuing Crisis events?

• Like 1

NU52 actually boosted DC sales for awhile and helped DC stay afloat for more years, with updated takes with less history for characters for newer fans to care about.  DC did release many books people liked during NU52 regardless of backlash.

But lot of those new fans eventually dropped off over the years, older fans were miffed that several characters, teams, stories and personal links to those they liked were erased.

Some stuff from NU 52 era remains, the rebooted Shazam era, Barry's still wearing his new suit, most stories from that era still happened (of course any have to be modified to fit in with post Future State Earth 0), new Heroes and Villians introduced in that era are still being used.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, D.Z said:

NU52 actually boosted DC sales for awhile and helped DC stay afloat for more years, with updated takes with less history for characters for newer fans to care about.  DC did release many books people liked during NU52 regardless of backlash.

But lot of those new fans eventually dropped off over the years, older fans were miffed that several characters, teams, stories and personal links to those they liked were erased.

Some stuff from NU 52 era remains, the rebooted Shazam era, Barry's still wearing his new suit, most stories from that era still happened (of course any have to be modified to fit in with post Future State Earth 0), new Heroes and Villians introduced in that era are still being used.

I agree with @D.Z take, @twiztor. It's a divisive period, the New 52. A reboot meant new readers could jump on at the expense of long time readers who weren't happy that some histories and characters were erased. The most controversial thing from it was Barry Allen replacing Wally West. Wally West was my Flash from the Justice League cartoon. The new costumes were hit and miss designed by Jim Lee. Batman's was a standout but I preferred how it done by Greg Capullo and Patrick Gleason, less liney. Red Robin's costume was horrible and the same can be said for how Tim Drake was used in the New 52.

Batman, Incorporated first volume concluded in December 2011, as Flashpoint (May-August 2011) set the reboot. Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 2) was set in the New 52 but referred to Grant Morrison's Batman run before it. The Batman books were great as was reading them in almost real time with a three month delay as Batman, a monthly UK book reprinted recent issues. You had the aforementioned Batman, Incorporated to go with Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo Batman and Batman and Robin by Peter J Tomasi/Patrick Gleason. I'd take the New 52 Batman period over Batman in DC Rebirth.

It's ten years for the New 52 this year and five for DC Rebirth. I've done a post on the former now and will the latter ASAP.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

It's a two-issue mini, for anyone wondering.  

Interestingly, a year or two back, Bleeding Cool ran a rumor that Superman was going to take over as leader of the Authority, but nothing was announced and people assumed Rich got it wrong.  Apparently, whatever the original plan was got caught up in 5G/Future State/etc. and also was derailed by Bendis leaving Superman earlier than expected.

Edited by Eoae

Some of the new members are stand ins for old roster members but using DC characters.  Wildcats book will also come at some point, the Batman Urban book used and is using some of those WildStorm characters.