DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

16 minutes ago, D.Z said:

The JSA and Infinity Inc are restored in history, however don't expect everything to be the same. Stargirl is a member of the JSA, Alan Scott will be joining the multiversal Justice Incarnate along with Barry.

I'm into virtually everything from that BleedingCool article on this.

20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Isn't it time to give JSA to someone besides Johns? Unlikely to happen,but a new perspective would be nice. 

I feel like it is, but I also feel like I might not read a JSA book written by someone else.  For the most part, I pick up books based on who is writing them, not characters, plots, events, etc.  Most of my Marvel/DC purchases the past few years have been books from the usual suspects: Bendis, Johns, Hickman, Jason Aaron, Tom King, Remender, the Morrison GL book, basically anything from Scott Snyder.   I tend to be a bit slow to catch on to books written by new names I'm not familiar with.  It took me awhile to give Joshua Williamson's Flash book a try, even after I heard good things about the run and Williamson's other projects. 

I do the same thing when I pick up indies.  I'm more likely to spend some money on a book by Millar or Ennis than I am someone new and "hot".

A lot of the problem is that I don't follow the indie scene much anymore or follow industry news, so new names are just that to me.. names.  I'm not really prone to pick up a book or visit a message board to learn about a new writer, so I tend to stick to the writers I was liking several years ago.  Jason Aaron had been on Thor for several years before I gave him a try.

Really, what I really want is more books from JMS and James Robinson, lol.

So, yeah, I'd like to see someone else new on JSA but I suspect I'd be less likely to read the book when a new writer takes over.  They'd probably put a new writer on the title that was good, but didn't have name recognition with me and it'd be 2023 before I got around to giving the book a try.

There isn’t really a JSA book. Tynion is on the Alan Scott: Sentinel book and the IF0 stuff there heavily focused on Obsidian and Jade but the book itself will probably not be. John’s is writing Stargirl and that’ll have some modern version of the JSA and the original Seven Soldiers but I bet that’ll be a small part relative to the high school superheroics and drama. 

Infinite Frontier spoilers

Spoiler

The Future End timeline is just another future now. The multiverse is infinite and some worlds restarted their history. (Earth 3 for example)

Wally is the Flash now of Earth 0.

I noticed DC inserted golden age Green Arrow and Speedy back in the 7 Soldiers history. I guess they can use the people born with the same name approach you see in phone books.

Roy is Alive and dropped his Nu 52 tats and Cap look.

Batman villians are getting killed off.

Omega Earth's Darkseid who is now his full powered self kills off the Quintessence. He will probably the answer for this era's Anti Monitor.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2021/03/02/dcs-infinite-frontier-expands-with-new-series

"In this summer event, Alan Scott, the Green Lantern from the Justice Society of America, has noticed some of his allies are still missing in action, and he's determined to find them. There are others, though, that would rather remain hidden than explain themselves, like Roy Harper, a.k.a. Arsenal, a man who should be dead now is not. Plus, what does all this mean for the DCU's place in the Multiverse? On opposite sides of a dimensional divide, both Barry Allen and President Superman ponder this question. Not to mention the Darkseid of it all! Or a team of Multiversal heroes called Justice Incarnate!"

American Vampire (Vol. 5). This book collects American Vampire: Lord of Nightmares #1-5 written by Scott Snyder, the artist is Dustin Nguyen. American Vampire #28-34 is written by Scott Snyder with Rafael Albuquerque art, both take place in 1954. The book begins with American Vampire: Lord of Nightmares #1-5 as Vassals of the Morning Star Agents Linden Hobbs and Felicia Book have to contend with the freeing of the most powerful vampire out there, Dracula. American Vampire had to tackle that at some point, it’s a great story as is The Blacklist in American Vampire #28-33. It’s a story long in the making as Pearl Preston is out to get the vampire who attacked and left her husband, Henry to die. I say long in the making going back to things in American Vampire (Vol. 1), a development with Pearl/Skinner and the end of some characters dating back to that opening arc to the series. It’s an end of an era. Liked seeing Pearl team up with Calvin Poole again. American Vampire #34’s The Gray Trader is a welcome return to a character not seen for a while in Abilena Camino/Book. I finished the book last night. A terrific collection.

American Vampire (Vol. 6). This book collects American Vampire: The Long Road To Hell #1 and American Vampire Anthology #1. In AV: TLRTH #1 written by both Scott Snyder but want to marry and be cured of the disease. Travis Kidd obliges and that’s the only thing that had my interest unfortunately. AVA #1 is made up of ten short stories as series creators Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque are joined by different writers and artists. The three best by Francesco Francavilla both story and art looks as Chase Hamilton in Hollywood then and now, Gail Simone/Tula Lotay’s dark story on Hattie Hargrove in 1925’s Hollywood and a singer interviewed as a witness to an attack in 1940’s New York written/art by both Gabriel Ba/Fabio Moon. Francesco Francavilla’s called The Producers is one of my favourite AV stories ever.

I've read the new Crime Syndicate book, seems they're all anti-villains instead of villains and elements from previous Earth 3 universe are combined in this new universe.  But they're forming in 2021.

Do you have a DC pull list?

I've got The Joker #1, Nightwing #78 and Batman: The Detective #1 on order. I'll read those and see whether to get the rest. Looking forward to Batman: The Detective #1 the most as it's by Tom Taylor and Andy Kubert plus it's only six issues. Debating whether to get Challenge of the Super Sons considering I have Super Sons #1-16, Super Sons Annual #1 and Adventures of the Super Sons #1-12 as singles/floppies. Probably will.

Edited by The Natural

Dc solicitions for June up soon, so few early solicits for now:

Checkmate #1...Brian Bendis, Alex Maleev, Dave Stewart, Matt Taylor

Wonder Woman Black and Gold #1 (of 6) Like those Black and White Batman books with Gold.

Crush & Lobo #1 of 8

Edited by D.Z

Green Arrow 80th anniversary 

Green Arrow 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular #1, Mike Grell, Jeff Lemire, Phil Hester, Otto Schmidt, Ben Percy, Tom Taylor, Devin Grayson, Stephanie Phillips, Mariko Tamaki, Ram V, Vita Ayala, Nicola Scott, Chris Mitten, Laura Braga, Max Fiumara, Brandon Thomas and more.

• Like 1

@twiztor and others here will be chuffed by Nightwing #78, the first issue of the new creative team, Tom Taylor/Bruno Redondo. Please seek out Batman Annual #3 and Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man #14, Tom Taylor's best. One of the best Batman stories ever and one of the best Spider-Man stories as well.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1