DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

15 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I burned through Y: The Last Man. It seems to be a series that a lot of people have a problem with due to politics, but I thought it was a ripping yarn. Briskly paced, easy to read, and a great cliffhanger at the end of each issue. I wound up binge reading it, by my own standards, which raises the question, did comics become like TV or did TV become like comics? When it came time for the big reveal, I was a little disappointed and thought it was gonna be another mystery that's so big it's impossible to pay off, but ultimately the story was bigger than the premise and the final run of issues was a fantastic finale. I wouldn't put it up there with the very best Vertigo stuff, but I liked it more than 100 Bullets. 

Really? I've only seen issues taken up with the politics from the show.

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Here's a random question that popped into my head: do any DC characters have iconic sound effects, like Spider-Man's "thwip" or Nightcrawler's "bamf"? I couldn't think of any.

off the top of my head, i can't think of any. Odd that the three that immediately spring to mind are all Marvel (the two mentioned and Wolverine's "snikt")

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

off the top of my head, i can't think of any. Odd that the three that immediately spring to mind are all Marvel (the two mentioned and Wolverine's "snikt")

Yeah, and I can't think of any Marvel examples either beyond those three, so it's not like it was Marvel house style to use consistent sound effects. Was it? Do Iron Man's repulsor rays have a trademark sound effect? I was never a big Iron Man guy.

Possibly relevant:

https://www.cbr.com/the-15-most-iconic-comic-book-sound-effects/

Though the only ones that would count as the sort of thing I'm thinking of (other than the ones we already mentioned) are Captain Marvel's "Ktang" (didn't know that one) and Motherbox's "Ping ping ping" (hey, a DC example!).

Also, ranking "snikt" above "thwip" is heresy.:)

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Was that he slammed the Nega Bands together? 

Yeah, that's the one.

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Speaking of Captain Marvel, did the lightning have a specific sound when Billy changed into Cap? Or just the "shazam!" Dialogue? 

I don't think the real Captain Marvel had one, no.

5 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Frank Miller writing a YA Carrie Kelley Robin novel sounds horrific on so many levels. It has the potential to be Robocop 2 level bad on the Frank Miller sale

James

Or even Robocop 3 bad. hopefully not The Spirit bad.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I read the J.M. DeMatteis/Keith Giffen Doctor Fate mini-series from 1987. Another post-Crisis misfire for me. That Giffen art that I loved as a kid does not register with me at all as an adult. I was kind of hoping that reading the mini-series would prompt me to continue with ongoing title, but I might have to skip it unless someone can convince me otherwise. 

On 11/12/2021 at 12:26 AM, J.H. said:

Frank Miller writing a YA Carrie Kelley Robin novel sounds horrific on so many levels. It has the potential to be Robocop 2 level bad on the Frank Miller sale

James

That's a scary proposition for the reasons you say. When Frank Miller's on, he's brilliant (Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, Daredevil) but when he's off, he's fucking terrible (The Dark Knight Strikes Again, All Star Batman and Robin, Dark Knight: The Golden Child).

3 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I read the J.M. DeMatteis/Keith Giffen Doctor Fate mini-series from 1987. Another post-Crisis misfire for me. That Giffen art that I loved as a kid does not register with me at all as an adult. I was kind of hoping that reading the mini-series would prompt me to continue with ongoing title, but I might have to skip it unless someone can convince me otherwise. 

Shawn McManus drew most of the ongoing series.  Giffen wasn't involved at all.  Not sure how you feel about McManus, but that sold me the book.  The ongoing series has a lighter tone than the mini.  More one-liners and gags.  Doctor Fate came out during DeMatteis' post-Justice League period where he was trying to balance his old writing style (lot of voiceover narration, weighty themes) with JL-style humor and the humor parts don't really work for me.  Lol, I mostly dislike Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League, though I may still be in the minority on that.  

I'd still recommend it.  DeMatteis writing supernatural characters is almost always worth a read and I think McManus' art is fantastic.  If I remember correctly, he also did the inking on many issues. 

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

That's a scary proposition for the reasons you say. When Frank Miller's on, he's brilliant (Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, Daredevil) but when he's off, he's fucking terrible (The Dark Knight Strikes Again, All Star Batman and Robin, Dark Knight: The Golden Child).

i received Dark Knight Strikes Again as a x-mas gift one year. i read that thing a few times, trying to figure out why people thought it was so amazing. never liked it. realized later that i was confusing it with DKR, which is definitely solid.

never read ASB&R, as it finished inconclusively. If Miller ever finishes writing it (not likely) then i'll give it a read.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 7:54 AM, tbarrie said:

Here's a random question that popped into my head: do any DC characters have iconic sound effects, like Spider-Man's "thwip" or Nightcrawler's "bamf"? I couldn't think of any.

The best were from Incredible Hercules:

Funniest/Weirdest Comic Sound Effects - Gen. Discussion - Comic Vine

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...