DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Have you ever read Warlord? It'd be interesting to get your perspective on it. 

I've read Warlord up until Grell left. I haven't read anything after that. I also haven't read Grell's return to the character. I generally like Grell's work. I enjoyed Jon Sable and his Green Arrow stuff. I can't remember much about Warlord, to be honest, but I was hooked enough to read it through 70 odd issues. 

7 hours ago, J.H. said:

The about 5YL is that you know when its Giffen steering v. When its the Bierbaums. I love the first year if it, Laurel Gand/Andromeda and the Emerald Empress/Sensor Girl story.

The rest... eh

James

I'm going to go out of my way to have the 9 year old read the Post-ZH LSH (everything up to Legion Lost, because it all gets dark and annoying after that) next summer. She's read a ton of Marvel over the last couple of years (Champions, Moon Girl, Ms. Marvel, Wasp, Nova (Sam), Mayday Spider-Girl). But no DC because it's such a futile gesture. Being a DC comics fan is only ever going to hurt you.

I saw some quotes from that article on BC earlier. All it seemed to confirm was the New 52 was the clusterfuck many of us knew it was going in, during, and after. Did Didio take any responsibility for how much of it was fucked up? Always feels like people blame editorial, but leave him out when he was the guy in charge who left those assholes the ability to make the writers' lives hell. As much as a douche Liefeld might be I actually appreciated that he was the only guy calling out Didio for how bad shit got fucked up then and when Didio was finally fired. He was an ass, but he wasn't wrong.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Snyder's Court of Owls story was funny.  He says Editorial wanted him to change the ending to Court of Owls to prove conclusively that Lincoln March was not Thomas Wayne Jr. and is not related to Bruce (the story as printed is ambiguous on that point).  Snyder wouldn't do it and fought with DC over it.  Snyder said in the interview that he distinctly remembers wheeling a cart full of paper towels through Target while screaming into his phone 'I'm not doing it.  Go down the hall and tear up my contract.  I'm done.'  Lol.

I still think New 52 turned out pretty well.  I enjoyed an awful lot of books during that period and the weekly 52 book is what got me back into comics after a long period of not reading anything at all.

Rebirth... meh.  5G would have been a disaster if they'd done it.  Tynion has been talking about 5G.  Seems like a bad idea to start with made worse by poor communication with writers and artists and terrible pitches for books.  Tynion was making wacky pitches for niche titles in an attempt to keep from being asked to write a 5G book.  Joshua Williamson recently said he would have left DC (not signed a new contract) if 5G had become a reality.  Seems like several writers had zero interest in writing 5G books.

Speaking of editorial blunders, I only learned a few days ago that Neil Gaiman and Jamie Delano were supposed to follow Rick Veitch on Swamp Thing.  Both agreed to do the book, then backed out in protest when DC fired Veitch a couple issues early over the Jesus Christ storyline (technically, DC didn't fire Veitch.  Editorial approved a script that had Swamp Thing meeting Jesus Christ, then unapproved the script after the issue was drawn and shot down Veitch's ideas for a compromise.  Veitch quit the book in protest).

• Like 1

I've a soft spot for The New 52 as I started reading Batman books in relatively recent time for the first time through a couple of months delay. Give me the Batman books of that period in the flagship Batman book by Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo, Grant Morrison's Batman, Incorporated and Peter J Tomasi/Patrick Gleason's Batman and Robin over Batman in the Rebirth era. Batwoman from the New 52 by JH Williams III/W Haden Blackman was also great till editorial interference fucked it up. New 52 did have its issues though losing Wally West and the shortened timeline leaving us wondering what was/wasn't canon.

Edited by The Natural

30 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I don't understand why they had to have Crisis on Infinite Earths let alone this New 52 thingamajiggy.

18 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Sales.

^^^Pretty much this. Not sure what the state of sales was completely back then, but apparently it was bad enough that Rich Johnston says New 52 did actually help DC and comics in general. Of course just cutting down books and doing a smaller relaunch w/o a massive reboot probably would have achieved the same thing, maybe even kept them more customers. I entered DC as whole with New 52, but I would have been fine just being given a decent start point. Most of the books I ended up buying and enjoying were still going off the previous continuity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I don't understand why they had to have Crisis on Infinite Earths let alone this New 52 thingamajiggy.

I can understand the logic, on paper, of doing something big for their 50th anniversary and someone feeling the need to have it be when they “streamline” five decades of continuity, especially you had the first wave of fandom creators entrenched (Roy, Lein, Marv and Levitz at the top). But even as a teenager, i never had a problem keeping it all straight, and didnt see the need to get rid of all the other Earths.

20 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

I do wonder how much of the sales boost New 52 was cause of places like DCBS offering a great deal if you ordered every title. For at least the first 4 months they offered that discount.

i'm sure that helped, but if you're the type of person entertaining the idea of purchasing all 52 titles, there's a good chance you were already buying quite a few books.

i'm no fan of the New52, but i fully believe the sales are mainly due to the excitement of the relaunch. The "get in on the ground floor" mentality, the chance to be a part of something, that sort of thing.

I know it's a matter of perspective, but it felt like they broke a lot more with Flashpoint and the new 52 than they did with Crisis and the modernization that followed. I do think a lot of the problems stemmed from Infinite Crisis, but you don't need me to go on about that again.

• Like 1

Most of the Golden Age DC is expected to enter the Public Domain next decade (Along with Marvel's Golden Age). Stuff from the 50's to up however remains DC only for few more decades to come. I wouldn't rule out re-extension for post 50's copyrights stuff to up. The law for copyrights changes and isn't always consistent.

Edited by D.Z

Dr. Multiverse debuts, probably Carol Danvers analog with Captain Universe like powers. Or maybe not. JLI will visit Earth 7, 8, 11, 13, and more. DarkSeid will fight a Marvel Analog character from Earth 8.

JLIncarnate1.jpg?resize=668,1028&ssl=1

The Elseworld book is coming but it's unknown who the writer is. Seems it's separate from the Pariah Worlds. But built by Joshua Williamson. 

Joshua Williamson is soon finished writing Future State Gotham.

Edited by D.Z

On 9/22/2021 at 11:28 AM, The Natural said:

I've a soft spot for The New 52 as I started reading Batman books in relatively recent time for the first time through a couple of months delay. Give me the Batman books of that period in the flagship Batman book by Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo, Grant Morrison's Batman, Incorporated and Peter J Tomasi/Patrick Gleason's Batman and Robin over Batman in the Rebirth era. Batwoman from the New 52 by JH Williams III/W Haden Blackman was also great till editorial interference fucked it up. New 52 did have its issues though losing Wally West and the shortened timeline leaving us wondering what was/wasn't canon.

I picked up the Morrison Superman omnibus. I know you are a huge fan of his Batman work.  I didn't have much in the way of Superman so I picked up the Morrison, Exile and other stories, and the Tomasi omni's.   Not bad so far. 

• Like 1

Big day for me as I finished up Jonah Hex, Sandman Mystery Theatre, and Roy Thomas' original run on Conan the Barbarian.

Jonah Hex remained a high quality book until the end, though it takes a dip toward the end when the book goes bi-monthly and Fleisher is busy at work on the Hex series. The last three issues are drawn and colored by the Gray Morrow. The artwork is gorgeous and the people are beautiful, but Morrow's style doesn't fit the gritty image of the series. The Crisis tie-in is awful, and yet it isn't the most frustrating part of the conclusion. Throughout the series, one of the most important aspects of the story was the women in Jonah's life, and yet we never find out what happens to Adrian or Emmylou, and even Mei Ling is treated shabbily. I suspect Fleisher felt that he could always return Jonah to the West and continue telling these stories, and indeed a few years later, Fleisher wrote one last Jonah story in Secret Origins which confirms that Jonah made it back to the West. It also sets up some lore about some tragedy befalling Jonah's son. I don't know if another writer followed up on that. I'm currently weighing up whether to read any of the later Jonah runs. Fleisher ended up penning over 100 Jonah stories. It was a brilliant run. Aside from the unresolved plot points, the only part I didn't like was when Jonah was abducted and taken to China, and even then I liked the story on the boat ride back. I'm gonna miss that ugly mug.

Sandman Mystery Theatre ended strongly. I was pleased that Seagle resolved the things that had been nagging at me about Wesley & Dian's relationship. The final issue is really beautiful. It's almost as perfect as the ending to Casablanca. It's amazing how Seagle was able to wrap up so many plot points within a single issue. There were more stories the creators could have told, but they were fighting an uphill battle with sales. Having Wesley pull the plug on his own comic was brilliant. Personally, I thought the middle of the series was when the book was firing on all cylinders, but the book maintained its integrity until the end, which is rare with comic book runs. 

Edited by ohtani's jacket