DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Quick google search indicates Williamson is writing Infinite Frontier mini & the Robins book, plus upcoming Aquaman, Deathstroke, and Batman books.  I'm sure I'm missing something, probably a couple somethings.  He's been showing up in my Twitter feed regularly in association with various projects.

He'ls also got at least one Substack book forthcoming.  Not sure why the timeline for that (or those) is.  I don't keep up with comic news very well.

So, yeah, he seems to be writing quite a few titles at once.  Not sure that's the best way to go for quality.

I finished the Sandman Mystery Theatre arcs "Dr. Death", "The Night of the Butcher", "The Hourman" and "The Python." Absolutely one of the most tightly plotted series I've read with each arc being compelling reading. The relationship between Wesley and Dian has taken twists and turns that I didn't expect, but I have to say it's the development of the supporting cast that I've enjoyed the most. I love Burke. Readers have come across cops like Burke in fiction countless times, but he still feels like a living, breathing character. I also like that they're saving some of the reveals until the end and throwing in a few red herrings. Night of the Butcher finally introduced a killer that wasn't immediately connected to the characters, and all it took was a bit of mutilation. I like Guy Davis' art, but I still find him to be a bit inconsistent. The characters' weight seems to change all the time, and I often get confused between his depiction of Dodds and the coroner, Hubert Klein. I'm really enjoying the series, which is why I'm burning through it so quickly.

8 hours ago, Eoae said:

Quick google search indicates Williamson is writing Infinite Frontier mini & the Robins book, plus upcoming Aquaman, Deathstroke, and Batman books.  I'm sure I'm missing something, probably a couple somethings.  He's been showing up in my Twitter feed regularly in association with various projects.

He'ls also got at least one Substack book forthcoming.  Not sure why the timeline for that (or those) is.  I don't keep up with comic news very well.

So, yeah, he seems to be writing quite a few titles at once.  Not sure that's the best way to go for quality.

Oof, that's a lot of books.

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

If they are returning to Batman Incorporated then I'm extraordinarily pleased. Really wanted to read more of Nightrunner and the African Batwing.

OIP.vO97dwuvnZcO7Uc7JJ-K8wHaKL?pid=ImgDe

I really liked the Batman, Incorporated concept. Taking Batman worldwide. More of Knight and Squire with Chief Man of Bats/Little Raven, the Batman of Japan, Nightrunner the French Muslim and the African Batwing.

Edited by The Natural

I wasn't overly thrilled with the Sandman Mystery Theatre "Phantom of the Fair" arc. For the first time in the series, it felt like there was too much story in the arc. Sandman Mystery Theatre is such a tightly plotted book, and so well paced, that I almost always feel compelled to read an arc in a single sitting, but this arc dragged. It couldn't figure out what it wanted to be. At first, you had Wesley brooding over the future, and the spectre of war, against the backdrop of the World's Fair. Then suddenly it was about Wesley confronting his own prejudices and homophobia. Personally, I couldn't understand how Wesley could be homophobic given everything we've learned about him thus far. My bigger problem, however, was how the two themes were meant to be connected. Utopia ideals vs. man's basic nature? Another murder, another direct connection to the titular character. At least this murder prompted Wesley to behave in new ways. I don't like the way Wesley and Dian's relationship has been thrown on the backburner. Dian has a job now and has found some purpose in her life, all Wesley and Dian do is engage in endless rounds of foreplay (okay, people had sex in the 1930s, I get it!) I did like the clumsy fight scene at the end of the arc. I like the fact that Wesley is perhaps the most nonathletic superhero, ever. I guess Dian being involved more in the crimefighting side of things is a welcome development, but their relationship hasn't felt right to me since she ran off to England. There are an increasing number of cameos from other Golden Age heroes. Ted Knight did not seem like the Ted Knight I know from James Robinson's Star Man. I dug the Jim Corrigan appearance, though. Another thing that threw me off about this arc was the overhaul of the cover designs. They are trying to make the covers look like the covers to an old pulp magazine or movie poster, but they would have looked much better if they'd been painted or done with pencil art. 

Edited by ohtani's jacket

Infinite Frontier 6 spoilers are out.

Spoiler

The Empty Hand and other big bads get shown in art. 

Pariah is back. Multiverse 2 is what the pre crisis multiverse was but it's all decayed and destroyed and the Empty Hand and the Gentry fed on whatever that was left of pre crisis worlds destroyed by the Anti-Monitor.

Edited by D.Z

Given DC's troubles the past few years (well, few decades), One-Star Squadron seems a little too on the nose.  Particularly since the company seems to be slowly shrinking its line to be nothing but Batman books, with the occasional Superman and Wonder Woman title thrown in.

Looking at Dec solicitations...Wonder Woman will be back on the JL soon, JL vs Bendis Legion. Seems Batman Inc might come back. The multiversal JLI will face Superdemon and the rest of Earth 13. The Batwoman who laughs debuts.

I've been going through a bit of a rut with Sandman Mystery Theatre. I've never read a single issue of Blackhawk, so I wasn't sure what I should make of the Janos Prohaska depiction. To me, the most interesting thing about that arc was Burke's reaction to the murders. Then I really didn't like the Return of the Scarlet Ghost arc until the last issue where Wagner and Seagle drastically upped the ante. The Crone was better. The relationship between Wesley and Dian has grown bleak, but I found that storyline more interesting than the murder mystery. I guess one of the difficult parts of this series was coming up with murder mysteries. I'm not really a fan of how they used comics and then radio as the backdrop for the murders. It seems over-the-top to me that there would be a spree of murders in either industry. I realize that the writers want to tap into everything that was shaping society in the late 30s, but it's a tad contrived at times. 

I read Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld over the past few weeks. It's a comic I always seem mentioned as an underrated title. The first issue was rushed and felt like a comic for a toy line, but once it settled into a groove, it was a highly enjoyable max-series. The most outstanding thing about it is Ernie Colon's artwork. I'd probably recommend it on that basis alone.

And I finally finished Five Years Later through to the last issue written by the Bierbaums. What a complete and utter non-investment. I remember the first time I read Five Years Later it was after I had read all of the classic runs on Legion of Super-Heroes, and I really enjoyed the first dozen issues before Giffen stepped back from the series. This but this time round it felt inconsequential. I got absolutely nothing out of it, and a lot of the time it was just plain confusing. My opinion of post-Crisis reboots is starting to nosedive.