DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

9 hours ago, D.Z said:

More new limited series.

RBN_BM_Cv1_00111_61134bd13b3734.27365942

I knew straight away that was by Dustin Nguyen, one of my favourite artists for his distinctive artwork. Details:

The Eisner-winning superstar team of writer Jeff Lemire (SWEET TOOTH) and artist Dustin Nguyen (BATMAN) are reuniting after their incredible run on DESCENDER and ASCENDER for ROBIN & BATMAN, a three-issue miniseries exploring the beginning of Dick Grayson’s crime-fighting career.

The world’s first sidekick is just starting out at the side of Batman, struggling to find his own path from personal tragedy to being a Super Hero. It’s an intimate look at the first growing-pains of one of the legends of Gotham City in this gorgeous, 40-page prestige format title

9 hours ago, D.Z said:

More series to be revealed later

New Ram V book

Mark Russell Batman-adjacent project

Scott Snyder Black Label Nightwing

Lemire/Mahnke Black Label book

Spurrier/Campbell Black Label book

Two Tom King projects

Batgirls

New Wonder Woman graphic novel

Stargirl and JSA probably way later.

Of those, Scott Snyder doing a Black Label Nightwing is the standout to me.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

100% in on the Snyder Nightwing

leaning towards yes on Robin & Batman. 3 issues + focus on the future Nightwing. if it measures up to Robin Year One or the Gauntlet, it will be great. but that's a pretty big IF.

50/50 on Robins. i like the premise but just question how it will balance. but Seeley nailed Grayson, so i am conflicted. 

waiting for more info on Batgirls.

• Like 1

BATMAN-SUPERMAN-AUTHORITY-SPECIAL-Cv1-no

BATMAN/SUPERMAN: AUTHORITY SPECIAL #1
Written by PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON
Art by TREVOR HAIRSINE, JONATHAN GLAPION,
and BEN TEMPLESMITH
Cover by RODOLFO MIGLIARI
$5.99 US | 48 PAGES
Variant cover by JEEHYUNG LEE
$6.99 US (Card stock)
ON SALE 11/2/21

Following Mongul's brazen attack on Earth, Superman's world has been turned upside down: conflict between Atlantis and the surface world, the discovery of an immensely powerful new element, dead refugees with mysterious ties to Krypton, and expulsion from the Justice League! When Superman re-forms the experimental, antiestablishment Authority to join him in liberating Warworld, Batman comes to them with a request: join him for one unorthodox, off-the-books mission first, one he could never ask the Justice League to be a part of…and one he doesn't expect everyone to come back from.

Also some Annuals. Some of those limited series ending too.

Major Force has been debooted back to his pre flashpoint version and is with the suicide squad now, while the Superboy on the squad seems to be a clone of Superboy and is becoming Match/Bizarro like.

That Batman news is kind of annoying. Pretty much confirms then that Tynion is running off in the middle of his run and leaving some poor bastard to pick up the pieces. While I understand why with his new contract, I can't help but think of it as a bit of dick move.

19 hours ago, Eivion said:

That Batman news is kind of annoying. Pretty much confirms then that Tynion is running off in the middle of his run and leaving some poor bastard to pick up the pieces. While I understand why with his new contract, I can't help but think of it as a bit of dick move.

Yeah, it definitely feels like Tynion was setting things up for a longer storyline.  Not a lot of faith in someone else doing much with some of Tynion's new characters.  

On the other hand, I have zero interest in whatever overwrought variation of "Bruce leaves Gotham/gives up being Batman" story they're setting up.  Eh, he's done that before.  Just leave some of his food in a bowl on the porch and he'll find his way home.

I feel like setting up plans for more than 12 or maybe 18 issues is a bad gamble.  How many writers get to plan out multi-year stories and stay on the book long enough to see it through.  More often, you get dropped from the book in the wake of whatever crossover/Crisis editorial decides to run with that year.  

Edit: Anyone know what the backstory with Clay Mann and Batwoman/Catwoman is?  DC had been scheduling the book to meet Mann's timeframe and at one point Tom King was adamant that Mann not be replaced by fill-in artists.  But, after a summer hiatus, Mann isn't drawing the next few issues.  Bleeding Cool seemed to be hinting that there's a story there.

Edited by Eoae

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

On the other hand, I have zero interest in whatever overwrought variation of "Bruce leaves Gotham/gives up being Batman" story they're setting up.  Eh, he's done that before.  Just leave some of his food in a bowl on the porch and he'll find his way home.

Well if they are still trying to pull a Future State/5G setup then this story seems to working under the idea that it will be a long term change.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Well if they are still trying to pull a Future State/5G setup then this story seems to working under the idea that it will be a long term change.

Yeah, that's the idea, but the long-term plan seems to be some sort of Crisis that averts/changes the Future State future.  Beyond that, how many replacement characters last?  Dick Grayson->Batman was a short-term thing. Azrael didn't stick as a Batfamily member or a replacement Batman.  Snyder did a replacement Bats story when he was on the book, etc.

Best-case scenario is probably that the replacement Bats lasts and is kept around for awhile, or Gotham gets a replacement Batman while Bruce travels the world as OG Batman.

In any case, my original point was that I've really enjoyed Tynion's run but am fairly disinterested in whatever shakeup of the status quo they've got brewing.

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Mark Waid returning to DC in 2022.

I can see Mark Waid on Batman, Superman or Justice League. One of my favourite writers for Kingdom Come and Towel of Babel. Those are terrific. Liked what I read of his Captain America and Daredevil also.

Edited by The Natural

Just now, The Natural said:

Nightwing (2016) #83 is a standout issue for the feelings as Nightwing interacts with the superhero community written by Tom Taylor and drawn by Bruno Redondo. Best drawn comic book on the shelves. @twiztor.

The artist on Black Widow (2020)Elena Casagrande pushes Nightwing close.

On 8/13/2021 at 12:07 AM, The Natural said:

Jeff Lemire (SWEET TOOTH) and artist Dustin Nguyen (BATMAN) are reuniting after their incredible run on DESCENDER and ASCENDER for ROBIN & BATMAN, a three-issue miniseries exploring the beginning of Dick Grayson’s crime-fighting career.

Haven't read the aforementioned Image creator owned series, but I love BLACK HAMMER and the pretty much anything that Lemire has put out recently.  Definitely keeping an eye out for this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Joshua Williamson is the new Batman writer, and Batman (Bruce) will wear his Batman Inc suit again.

E9pGbLnUcAolHY7?format=jpg&name=900x900

eOp8McB.jpg?1

Thanks. I really liked the Button crossover written by Joshua Williamson and Tom King in Batman/The Flash. That's the only thing I've read by Williamson. Cool seeing the Batman, Incorporated (Vol. 1) Batsuit back and especially the yellow oval. Been a decade since that last happened.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Is he writing a bunch of DC books right now, or does it just seem like it?  

I'm kind of wondering how many books he can write without getting behind schedule or seeing a quality drop.

Yeah that's a concern when a writer has different ongoings on the go.