DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Another book called Robin and Batman to be solicited later but nothing is known yet about it yet.

There's also the Elseworld book, that book will be about the new unknown main Earth.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That feels like an odd and unnecessary change.

Well it's Bendis. He also changed aliens races looks, like Daxamites are now blue for example.

And Mon El is Jon Kent's Kryptonian descendant.

6 hours ago, D.Z said:

More Infinite Frontier art

E8HlKeUUcAoZi42?format=jpg&name=large

Cool seeing the Department of Extranormal Operations, Mister Bones and Cameron Chase. My introduction to them came from Batwoman by W. Haden Blackman/JH Williams. Shame both had to resign due to editorial interference, it was a mostly great run and Batwoman has never reached that level again. Pissed me and @Eivion off.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I finished up the fourth arc of Sandman Mystery Theatre. The return of Guy Davis made a huge difference. I thought his pencils were better than the first arc, and I can understand why he was the definitive artist on the series. Throughout the arc, I had the distinct feeling that this was how the book was supposed to look. One thing I really liked about the arc was how awkward Dodds was as a crimefighting vigilante. Instead of being some avenging angel, he worries that he accidently killed someone he used his gas on, he gets shot, and keeps bungling his secret identity act and jeopardizing his romantic relationship with Dian. There was a lot of sex in this arc, but it didn't feel gratuitous to me. Wagner and Seagle took time to detail the lives of people who were in same-sex relationships during the era instead of making it purely titillating. One criticism I do agree with is the covers. I don't think the photo covers have aged well at all, and I don't like the layout or the colors either. They worked on Sandman because McKean made original pieces of artwork that sometimes included photographs, but they come across like a failed idea on Sandman Mystery Theatre. 

• Like 1

James Tynion IV leaving Batman and Joker:

But in the midst of all of that, I was trying to make one of the most difficult decisions of my professional life. DC had presented me with a three-year renewal of my exclusive contract, with the intent of me working on Batman for the bulk of that time. I was grateful of the offer, but I couldn’t help but look at the success of my original, creator owned titles and wonder if it was the right choice.

And then I received another contract. The best I’ve ever been given in a decade as a professional comic book writer. A grant from Substack to create a new slate of original comic book properties directly on their platform, that my co-creators and I would own completely, with Substack taking none of the intellectual property rights, or even the publishing rights.

Given my bandwidth, I knew I could only pick one of two contracts sitting in front of me.

Which is a lot of preamble to say that I am going to be leaving BATMAN with Issue #117 in November, and THE JOKER with Issue #14 next April, with no immediate plans to write any other superhero comics in the near future.

Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen, please and thank you. If not Dini, Chip Zdarsky or Tom Taylor as writer.

Edited by The Natural

Probably see the Bendis Legion again. With Clark being saved from his fate by Jon and other changes to reality, not sure it will be exactly the same.

Tom Taylor has another book for DC, not Batman or Deceased. Something about Gods.

The mom and daughter Black Canary stuff is restored.

So does Tynion's run feel anywhere close tot he end? I'm only up through Joker War, but what I have been keeping tabs on makes it feel like he is only in the middle. I feel for the poor bastards having to follow up.

• Like 1

I finished the fourth arc of Sandman Mystery Theatre. I really like the tight plotting of these four issue arcs. The pacing is excellent and everything ties together beautifully. The stories aren't really mysteries per se. We generally know who the killer is before the hero does. However, the way Wagner and Seagle pull together the plot threads is impressive. I do hope they start introducing some murder mysteries that happen outside of the main characters' social circles, however, as it doesn't seem plausible that they could be so closely related to so many different crimes (unless there is a storyline reason I'm missing related to Sandman's dreams.) I'm really starting to like the Dian Belmont character. I loved how they handled the discovery of Wesley's secret. It's such a strong dynamic with Wesley being guilt-torn over not being honest with Dian, and Dian discovering the secret for herself and being plagued by anxieties over how to broach the subject. They're well on their way to becoming a memorable comic book couple for me. One thing, though -- Dodds is supposed to be in his late 20s, but the way Davis draws him at times, and the way they color his hair, he often looks middle-aged. Am I the only one who feels that way?

I'm still going strong with Jonah Hex. I just read Jonah Hex #50. I have no idea how they are going to write Mei Ling out of the series -- is she going to leave him? Will someone kill her? The suspense is killing me.

On a whim, I read the three-issue Hawkworld prestige mini-series. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about post-Crisis reboots anymore. I used to think they were cool, but now I'm not so sure. There's a certain timelessness to great comic book runs, but with these reboots, I immediately place them as late 80s or early 90s. One thing I'll say for Hawkworld is that the art is absolutely gorgeous. I haven't read a lot of Truman's work, but the pencils I've seen on Grimjack are kind of ugly to me. His work on this series was stunning.

I also read Formerly Known as the Justice League. Justice League International is probably my favorite comic book series of all-time. I started reading it as a kid with the Kooey Kooey Kooey island storyline and was absolutely hooked. Many of my favorite childhood comic book memories involve hunting down the back issues of that series. You can never go home again, and you can never truly recapture the magic, but it felt like visiting old friends. There were a lot of characters whom I hadn't thought about in forever, and some side-splitting laughs. Maguire's art remains top shelf, and he's still a master of facial expressions. If you liked the humor of the original series, and the non-stop banter, then this sequel will feel like old times. The appeal of the original series was that it made fun of the doom and gloom of the mutant books and the stuff I mentioned above (Hawkword & the Punisher.) I'm not sure where the reboot fits in the scheme of modern comics (I did like the self-referencing joke they made about 80s nostalgia reboots), but it's the same silly fun.

• Like 1

Hawkworld is one of those things about which im conflicted. Great art and storytelling, but its got too much 80s grimdark for me. Its a lot of post Production Code Hollywood, where we put in all this ‘adult’ now because we can. 

Spinning out from Infinite Frontier, Justice League Incarnate. 5 oversized issues. The Flash below is from Earth 0's China while the arm dude is a new character from the Marvel homage Earth 8.

E8kb7u7UYAM6BRZ.jpeg

Edited by D.Z

More series to be revealed later

New Ram V book

Mark Russell Batman-adjacent project

Scott Snyder Black Label Nightwing

Lemire/Mahnke Black Label book

Spurrier/Campbell Black Label book

Two Tom King projects

Batgirls

New Wonder Woman graphic novel

Stargirl and JSA probably way later.