DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

16 hours ago, D.Z said:

Infinite Frontier 2

Hide contents

They didn't reset Flashpoint Batman's history but his personality, along with Magog's of Kingdom Come. I wonder if Psycho Pirate is resetting personalities multiverse wise or something else has done it.

Spoiler

how do you reset someone's personality? like what does that mean?

On 7/9/2021 at 4:49 AM, The Natural said:

Holy shit! I love Batman: The Long Halloween. The only Batman book I have ahead of it is Batman: Year One. This will be a must by. Tagging @Brian Fowler as he'll want to know about this.

On 7/9/2021 at 6:38 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Tim Sale art?

Sold

VZttwt9_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

I finally finished Astro City. It's one of those rare series where there are no bad issues. I enjoyed some stories more than others, and there was the odd character that didn't do much for me, but I can't think of a single issue that was bad, which is amazing given how long Busiek has been churning out stories. I'll have to fill the void in my day with something else now. 

• Thanks 1

Not really. There were certain arcs that were high points for me throughout the series, but I thought the quality was consistently high. The final Vertigo run probably had a few filler issues, but nothing egregious. I feel like having Brent Anderson as a constant throughout the series helped to avoid any slips. 

Spoiler
On 7/13/2021 at 9:26 PM, D.Z said:

Infinite Frontier 2

Hide contents

The JSA missing several members may have something to do with them being from Earth 2 originally.

Spoiler

I figured the missing JSAers were leading into an Infinity Inc relaunch. They were all members.

4 minutes ago, Ace said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

I figured the missing JSAers were leading into an Infinity Inc relaunch. They were all members.

Spoiler

It's gonna be the JSA with those missing members.

More reality changes post IF

Superman and the Authority:

Instead of the 5G timeline, seems they're using this Superman was displaced in various time periods. Does allow his adventures in the past to happen covertly. The King Arthur and Camelot stuff can let Superman predate Wonder Woman again in a way.

Blue and Gold

At least the JLA period around the early 90's exists again, still the 80's JLI never did. They kinda somewhat resetted Beetle and Booster personalities back to their old ways while Ted is de-aged somewhat. 

Bleeding Cool's been publishing leaked info about DiDio's proposed 5G timeline and it sounds... not awful.  I'm intrigued by the idea of aging Bruce, Clark, and Diana into their 50's.   Of course, for the concept to work, the younger heroes that step in to take their places have to be interesting.  I've been interested in the Jon Kent stuff the past few years, less interested in seeing him already replace Clark.  As interesting as pinning certain stories to specific real-life events and years sounds, 5G seems like a concept that would work for a year or two, then become a morass of continuity conflicts and incoming creative teams who just ignore the initial groundwork,  And introducing a bunch of new/older characters en masse without much explanation is a risky proposition.

Mostly it sounds like a bunch of ideas that would half-stick (which is the case with most radical reboots).  Bruce in his 50's sounds interesting to me.  Aging Nightwing into his early 40's just seems off.  Turning Damian Wayne into a big bad following in his grandfather's footsteps almost certainly wouldn't last long and feels more like a Monarch/Extant change than the original evil Hal Jordan stuff - which was eventually retconned into possession by evil alien parasite anyway.

I guess it depends on the creative teams.  I'm not that interested in Future State either, but my lack of interest says more about the writers DC has working for them than the concept.  I mostly buy comics based on who is writing and drawing the book, and there's only a few people working for the Big Two right now that can sell me a book.  

• Like 1

i think Didio's 5G concept is/was a good idea. The freedom to tell stories at different points in the hero's career is great. Lots of room for writers to really tell the stories they want to. 

now, do i think it would work in the long term? hell no. DC can't keep one timeline straight, even when they chuck (almost) everything and start fresh (coughNU52cough). I have zero faith in them to make this concept work. Which is disappointing, really. Future State being an incredibly paired down version of this is also what will limit its sales and staying power. 

22 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Aging Nightwing into his early 40's just seems off.

it seems off because you're completely skipping over what should be his prime, where he is one of the pillars of the DC Universe. 

sidekick -> freestanding but 2nd rate Batman ->  [              ]  -> aging mentor to next gen

• Like 1

I like little of what I saw of Didio's 5G concept. Most of the ideas were things that work better as elseworld ideas than trying to work them into the main line. Beyond that it sounds like it was annoying quite a few creators as it was very editorial driven.

• Like 1

They only kept the replacements and Wonder Woman and the JSA parts. People on CBR are paranoid that it's still happening. Future Sate ended and post Infinite Frontier is the new status quo.

About everything is canon, just means some stuff that can't fit in will be just in hypertime, other worlds, or handled else.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

I'm liking the sounds of what 5G was going to be like as well, mainly a Bruce Wayne in his 50s and a Damian Wayne who took his Grandfather's side as the ruler of the League of Shadows. An older Superman and Wonder Woman too. Will have to read those leaked plans. My thoughts are very similar to @twiztor.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I read the first arc of Sandman Mystery Theatre. This series has been on my bucket list for a while. I was actually on board with Vertigo when it first launched, but Sandman Mystery Theatre wasn't a title I picked up. I may have had a few issues or flicked through it at my local comic book shop, or perhaps I just read the monthly blurbs in Direct Currents, but it didn't seem unfamiliar to me. I'm not sure why I didn't buy it at the time. I knew who Matt Wagner was. I remember going on a family ski trip and heading to my comic book shop to get some comics to read at the chateau, and my friend who worked there went through the back issue boxes choosing stuff for me to take. One of the books he picked for me was a Dark Horse collected version of Devil by the Deed, which I loved. That led me to discover both Grendel and Mage. The first arc of Sandman Mystery Theatre drew on pulp influences, as you'd expect, but it was darker and more violent than I expected. I guess that's not a surprise given that it was a Vertigo book, but I wasn't quite prepared for some of the more graphic stuff (especially for a title about a Golden Age character.) I was hooked after issue 3, but if I had one criticism about an otherwise excellent arc, it's that there wasn't much mystery surrounding the identity of the killers and the ending was somewhat predictable. Good start to the series, however.

I finished the second and third arc of Sandman Mystery Theatre. Folks weren't kidding when they said the book gets even darker. I'm still not sure how I feel about that, to be honest. It's kind of weird reading a Golden Age hero involved in these dark, gruesome stories. Part of me thinks it's great and part of me thinks its gratuitous. In particular, The Brute arc escalated rapidly, and had a strangely off-putting romantic ending after a series of horrific scenes. Sandman isn't your typical early 90s anti-hero, but the series does have a Frank Miller feel to it, and I'm torn over how I feel about that, especially having read James Robinson's Starman recently, which balances the darkness with light and joy. It appears that the relationship between Wesley Dodds and Dian Belmont will be at the heart of the series. I'm all for romantic relationships being the heart and soul of a series, I just wish Wagner would stop having them meet by having Dian show up on Wesley's doorstep in the early hours of the morning. I mean, I get that one of the motifs is the night, and how Dodds can't sleep because of his nightmares and everything, but unless it was some deliberate reference to storytelling of the era, Wagner used that plot device way too often in the first three arcs. Having different artists on each arc is jarring as well. It worked in Sandman, but here I find the characters keep changing their appearance depending on the artist's style, which is confusing when you're in the early stages of a series. The art isn't bad per se, I just would have preferred a more consistent look and tone. All of this sounds like I'm more critical of the series than I am. It's still an intriguing read and early days in the series. 

12 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Having different artists on each arc is jarring as well. It worked in Sandman, but here I find the characters keep changing their appearance depending on the artist's style, which is confusing when you're in the early stages of a series. The art isn't bad per se, I just would have preferred a more consistent look and tone. 

Guy Davis - the artist on the first arc of the book - returned for the fourth arc and drew the book the rest of the way, except for a couple fill-in issues.  Changing artists for each arc was never the plan.  Around the time he started work on SMT, Davis had some personal issues which caused him to get way behind on the book and led to the editor bringing in a couple fill-in artists,  Definitely agree that the feel of the book was off when Davis wasn't doing the art.  

Edited by Eoae