DVDVR Message Board

2021 DC Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

cameo DCAU first time appearances by Deadshot/King Shark/Kite Man/Magpie/the Carpenter

Pretty sure Deadshot popped up in Jl/JLU.

16 hours ago, D.Z said:

New Robin book staring Damian Wayne in a new costume that combines the old with the recent grey one and some new elments.

John Stewart is the leading man in the new GL book. Guy appears with his 80s Haircut and Kyle and Simon Baz and alien GLs, no Hal.

I like the new costume for Damian.

Stewart being the main GL is no surprise. The new writer legit hates Hal, and Morrison still has the second season of his own book with Hal. Nice to see Baz getting used.

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

attachment.php?attachmentid=104773&d=161

Yes, please. Bring back Goliath, Colin and Superboy has to appear. The banter between Robin and Superbly by Peter J Tomasi is a highlight. Liking what I see and read about Robin's solo book.

Probably should have mentioned this long ago, but CR attachments don't really work unless you are member and most of of us probably aren't.

• Like 1

Would have preferred Tim getting the Robin name and book back but I will read the series regardless. Very high on the Nightwing series. Looking forward to it.   

If I were working for DC I would make a book of the 3 Robins. Jason, Dick, and Damian having fun banter and teaming up to protect Gotham while Bruce is away internationally could be a fun little series.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

Pretty sure Deadshot popped up in Jl/JLU.

I like the new costume for Damian.

Stewart being the main GL is no surprise. The new writer legit hates Hal, and Morrison still has the second season of his own book with Hal. Nice to see Baz getting used.

Probably should have mentioned this long ago, but CR attachments don't really work unless you are member and most of of us probably aren't.

Wasn't aware CBR attachments don't work unless a poster there. Thanks for letting us know, ditto Deadshot.

1 minute ago, Eoae said:

I've read a bit of Future State and it seems mostly depressing.  I shouldn't be surprised that DC is reinventing itself with yet another dystopian vision of the DCU universe. but I am.

Last legacy of Didio, right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

I've read a bit of Future State and it seems mostly depressing.  I shouldn't be surprised that DC is reinventing itself with yet another dystopian vision of the DCU universe. but I am.

This is why I have so little interest in the 5G/Future State stuff. 

9 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Morrison is done with DC forever after his GL run, Season two is wrapping up soon after issue 12. Didio wanted to cut season two to 8 issues.

Did DC piss him, or does he just feel has nothing left to offer? Seems weird to say forever.

53 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Did DC piss him, or does he just feel has nothing left to offer? Seems weird to say forever.

I haven't seen anything lately (and nothing turns up with Google), but CBR ran an article last summer saying Morrison was done after GL.  Morrison wasn't quoted.  CBR talked to Liam Sharp, who said Grant had told him he was going to leave DC for good after GL to focus on creator-owned work.  Morrison had said things like this before, then come back to DC, but Sharp thinks he means it this time because most all of us Grant's friends and associates at DC are gone from the company.

Morrison has at least one project left at DC, I think.  Wonder Woman: Earth One - Volume 3 is still pending, right?

There's also the matter of age. Morrison turns 61 in two weeks.  By the time he takes a couple years to work on creator-owned books, he might be ready to retire.  He's also supposedly working on a couple book & tv projects.

I feel very old.  I still tend to think of Morrison as the young British punk that wrote Animal Man.  I'm not that much younger. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eoae said:

I haven't seen anything lately (and nothing turns up with Google), but CBR ran an article last summer saying Morrison was done after GL.  Morrison wasn't quoted.  CBR talked to Liam Sharp, who said Grant had told him he was going to leave DC for good after GL to focus on creator-owned work.  Morrison had said things like this before, then come back to DC, but Sharp thinks he means it this time because most all of us Grant's friends and associates at DC are gone from the company.

Morrison has at least one project left at DC, I think.  Wonder Woman: Earth One - Volume 3 is still pending, right?

There's also the matter of age. Morrison turns 61 in two weeks.  By the time he takes a couple years to work on creator-owned books, he might be ready to retire.  He's also supposedly working on a couple book & tv projects.

I feel very old.  I still tend to think of Morrison as the young British punk that wrote Animal Man.  I'm not that much younger. 

Oh man, we were supposed to get a Batman Black and White book and Batman Arkham Asylum 2 with Batman #666. Grant Morrison is my favourite comic book writer of all time. Having wrote Batman and Superman, I'd have liked him to complete the big three with Spider-Man.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 12:50 PM, D.Z said:

DC has big plans for Wally in a good way. 

I hope so, but they've said that multiple times over the last ~10-15 years, and it's been either complete bullshit or quickly dropped.

----

I believe Wonder Woman Earth One Vol 3 has been fully written already. Also it's going to be Rags' last project for DC at least for awhile as well.

• Like 1

Superman/Batman #77 (December 2010) written by Josh Williamson and drawn by Ale Garza. I posted a panel on Monday of Dick Grayson/Batman reacting to Damian Wayne/Robin teaming up with Supergirl and how Dick teases Damian about it. Thanks to @Eivion, I did some detective work and found the issue it comes from. Kara/Supergirl needs a detective in Dick Grayson or Tim Drake/Robin to investigate a Metropolis crime but winds up with Damian Wayne. It’s a really fun good one and done for that aforementioned exchange at the start of my review and Damian Wayne is a little shit through it. Check this out:

Robin: “Use your x-ray and telescope vision to scan the bodies and tell me what you see."

Supergirl: “You can’t just use me like some tool from your utility belt…”

Robin: “Why not? My father did it to Superman all the time. Now scan, alien.”

Supergirl: “You little…”

Batman and Robin #20-22 (April-June 2011) written by Peter J. Tomasi and drawn by Patrick Gleason in Tree of Blood: Dark Knight vs. White Knight. Having liked this creative team’s past works on Batman and Robin (Vol. 2) and Superman (DC Rebirth), I sought this out. Dick Grayson/Batman and Damian Wayne/Robin are on a case where a man with wings attached to his back falls to his death still. This was a great story as the culprit wants to eliminate those connected by blood or marriage to someone incarcerated at Arkham Asylum before they go the same way. Batman warned Damian Wayne about his crass disrespect of the victim and Commissioner Gordon well and truly puts him in his place after doing it a second time. I will say Patrick Gleason’s art from 2011 is so not what I’m used to from the aforementioned creative team previous contributions together.

Superman (2016) #10-11. In The Name of the Father written by Peter J Tomasi and drawn by Patrick Gleason. Damian Wayne/Robin kidnaps Jon Kent/Superboy as he’s a risk. This rightly draws the ire of Batman and even more so Superman resulting in all four getting it on. I wanted to read this having really liked most of Super Sons, Adventures of the Super Sons and Challenge of the Super Sons. This was fine but I expected more not helped by the second half which was most disappointing. In #10 there’s a great full page spread of Superboy giving Robin a well deserved punch to the bread basket.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I'm still enjoying Starman. James Robinson enjoys writing about things he likes (to put it nicely), and there are moments where the characters have ridiculous debates about pop culture that seem to be influenced by Tarantino, but aren't as universal as Tarantino. Reservoir Dog characters argued about Madonna songs, but Robinson's characters argue about far more esoteric topics. All writers have bad habits, though. I feel like that's something his editor should have curbed. I pretty much love everything else Robinson does in terms of messing with comic book structure. There's no real emotional pull yet, where I have to keep reading, though I do like Jack's relationship with his dad. The art, and character design, is really 90s at times, but I do love the foreshadowing and the preordained sense that the book is leading somewhere.

I've been slowly making my way through the Five Years Later Legion of Superheroes. I usually enjoy dystopian future stories, but I've got to be honest, it is really hard to follow what is going on. It's not like I haven't read the famous runs on Legion. Admittedly, it's been a few years, but still... I feel lost from issue to issue, and Giffen's art doesn't hold up. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I'm still enjoying Starman. James Robinson enjoys writing about things he likes (to put it nicely), and there are moments where the characters have ridiculous debates about pop culture that seem to be influenced by Tarantino, but aren't as universal as Tarantino. Reservoir Dog characters argued about Madonna songs, but Robinson's characters argue about far more esoteric topics. All writers have bad habits, though. I feel like that's something his editor should have curbed. I pretty much love everything else Robinson does in terms of messing with comic book structure. There's no real emotional pull yet, where I have to keep reading, though I do like Jack's relationship with his dad. The art, and character design, is really 90s at times, but I do love the foreshadowing and the preordained sense that the book is leading somewhere.

I've been slowly making my way through the Five Years Later Legion of Superheroes. I usually enjoy dystopian future stories, but I've got to be honest, it is really hard to follow what is going on. It's not like I haven't read the famous runs on Legion. Admittedly, it's been a few years, but still... I feel lost from issue to issue, and Giffen's art doesn't hold up. 

Reading Starman in my late teens opened me up for a love of all sorts of old things in other mediums. I'm not sure I'd be so into classic movies and OTR or Raymond Chandler or ERB otherwise.

The mentions of Kingdom Come and Starman demonstrate just how good comics can be. I'd add Sandman Mystery Theatre to the mix and call it good. I don't think that I've ever been as excited about a new issue of something coming in as I was about Starman, and that includes time as a kid on Tuesdays and Thursdays haunting the drugstore until the pharmacist put out the new comics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Matt D said:

Reading Starman in my late teens opened me up for a love of all sorts of old things in other mediums. I'm not sure I'd be so into classic movies and OTR or Raymond Chandler or ERB otherwise.

I can see that. I just find it off-putting when characters argue about Raymond Chandler in the middle of a fight scene. 

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Wonder Girl #1 by writer, artist and cover artist Joëlle Jones

image001-4.jpg

The Future States Wonder Woman but younger.

got really excited for a minute, as i thought Donna Troy was FINALLY going to get a solo series (seriously, the closest we ever got was "the Return of Donna Troy") hell, even Cassie barely got a solo (i think she just got a miniseries, but i could be wrong). what a shame.