DVDVR Message Board

What are you reading in 2021

JLSigman

So I managed to read about 60 things last year, according to Goodreads, and hope to conitnue that this year.

Right now I'm reading two things: the collected "American Gods" comics (which are blowing my mind), and an old translation of the Mahabharata by William Buck.

August will finally see the release of The Thorn of Emberlain (aka Gentleman Bastasrds Vol. 4) so that's on the list. I still have to get the last 2 Dresden Books so my queue is filling uick

James

10 minutes ago, J.H. said:

August will finally see the release of The Thorn of Emberlain (aka Gentleman Bastasrds Vol. 4) so that's on the list. I still have to get the last 2 Dresden Books so my queue is filling uick

James

Ah, this is welcome news indeed! I suppose I should start subscribing to Locus again. When I hear about new books from favorite authors on WRESTLING message boards, obviously something has broken down somewhere (possibly the fact that I haven't attended a Con since 2006 has something to do with it), anyway, the other example was that a new Joe Abercrombie book came out in September and I heard about it only because a fellow poster listed his Christmas gifts on Wrestling Classics. When I'm four+ months late to the table to buy a book that I will insist on following the flag and buying only the English edition, as "simultaneous release with the US" still means that the UK was first as US bookstores hadn't opened yet when UK editions were on the shelves and being sold. Even if they started selling at the same minute, you "follow the flag" and buy whichever edition is from the author's home country, and since Joe Abercrombie is a Scot... For collectors here, the only time that you make an exception is with pre-WWI books, which had "Colonial Editions", meaning that copies sent to Canada, India, Australia, etc. often arrived before the official release date and booksellers not giving a fig about what the publishers thought, would shelve the books for sale as soon as they arrived, making the "Colonial Edition" the true first. This makes a big difference, for example the "Colonial Edition" of Dracula has been determined to be the true first making it worth something like $35,000.00 more than the UK first (which had formerly been thought to be the first until a "Colonial Edition" showed up.) Thre, how's that for on-topic thread de-railing? ?

On 1/3/2021 at 12:27 PM, JLSigman said:

Right now I'm reading two things: the collected "American Gods" comics (which are blowing my mind), and an old translation of the Mahabharata by William Buck.

Still working my way through the Mahabharata. It's dense, the names are tricky to my Western European eyes, but it's so good.

I am struggling to come up with more than just general keyboard mashing about the American Gods comics. This was such an American story, melting pots and hearty fuck yous and everything. I will definitely look for the novel.

Just grabbed the first collection of Saladin Ahmed's Ms. Marvel and the transition is seamless. I love Kamala Khan and her friends and family so much.

15 hours ago, AxB said:

I'm reading this:

81Qorve-PPL.jpg

It's an origin story for Harley Quinn. The Joker is *really* handsome in it.

Stephan Sejic has such a style. I just finished reading his 2015 original Death Vigil collection, which was great if occasionally confusing, and I've bookmarked the rest of his stuff that my local library has online to eventually get to.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2021 at 6:33 PM, JLSigman said:

Upon hearing this, I've picked up the original novelization, as I'd never read it.

IIRC, Youtube has the film up for free on their Youtube movies channel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justin877 said:

DUNE is on my shortlist and since I am on a "staycation" that should definitely be doable.

I'm still in the middle of a re-read, and, man, that's a book that has not held up to my memories of it. It's still great, but... genre writing in the 60s is tropey as Hell. And there are whole chapters where I was just groaning at how they unfold. 

Hope the movie doesn't hew too closely to the source. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 8:50 AM, JLSigman said:

I have been devouring the Saga collections. Oh man this is some of the most incredible comic writing I've seen in years. And the art is mostly not terrible or insulting!

Wait, where's the rest? They've been on hiatus? They're going to leave my heart all broken like this? TURN ON YOUR LOCATION, SIR AND MADAM, I JUST NEED TO TALK FOR A MINUTE---

(ye gods, highest of recommendations for this series)

13 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Wait, where's the rest? They've been on hiatus? They're going to leave my heart all broken like this? TURN ON YOUR LOCATION, SIR AND MADAM, I JUST NEED TO TALK FOR A MINUTE---

Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughan is pretty good as well.  A totally different kind of tale, less space opera more sci-fi but I recommend those as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JLSigman said:

One of my co workers read some of my comics, including Saga and Chew and now Die. 

She had missed reading the last Saga volume until ove4vthe holidays and I had to explain jyst how long the hiatus has been. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I fought the urge for the longest time to have anything to do with Twitter, but since the autumn, I've been engaging with it, and...it's not the worst.

One of the better bits that I've followed is The Midnight Society (@midnight_pals), which is a bunch of horror writers sitting around a campfire and attempting to tell spooky stories, only to be sidetracked a million different ways.  They've had a pretty wide set of stories (or more fittingly, a wide array of hijinx) with a lot of relatively obscure writers getting name-dropped, so who knows, maybe @OSJ would dig it?

But it got me taking a look at Joe Hill finally, and I'm liking Heart-Shaped Box so far.  The first third was so frenetic I didn't see how there were 250 more pages, but it takes a good (and appropriate) hard left for a while.  I thought about reading NOS4A2 but the reminder of Zachary Quinto being on the TV show version kind of put me off - I feel like we, as a society, really should move on from anything and everything involving him.

Edited by Contentious C

Recently got myself the Black Company omnibus(es?), three different fat chunky books. If they're half as badass as the Gaunts Ghosts series I'll be as happy as fuck

Also got AvP omnibus, the book not the graphic novel. And the weekend after the freeze down here i picked up some Edward Lee books from Half Price, cleaned out every Lee book they had which I'll probably dive into between Black Company books?

I just finished Bloody Rose by Nicholas Eames. It was my first time reading fantasy and enjoyed both of his books. I'm currently reading a book called The Sport is Steroids by Jim Rutter. 

Question, do we have a thread where we can ask for book recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 9:51 AM, Souder85 said:

I just finished Bloody Rose by Nicholas Eames. It was my first time reading fantasy and enjoyed both of his books. I'm currently reading a book called The Sport is Steroids by Jim Rutter. 

Question, do we have a thread where we can ask for book recommendations?

We do now... ?

Reading regularly is something I've rediscovered in the last half year or so. I read every night these days before bed, as opposed to just staying up all night fucking around online. Instead I try and set aside an hour a night or so to read instead, which has both helped normalize my sleep schedule and just daily schedule overall.

So far I've chewed through the entire Dark Tower series (death, Gunslinger, but not for you. Never for you), also Stephen King's The Institute (which I thought was quite good), re-read Moby Dick (way funnier than I remembered in parts), and I'm currently reading To Sleep In A Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini which I bought completely author unknown. Based solely off the fact it won an award on Goodreads as the reader's choice best science fiction novel of 2020. And it's really fucking good so far. It has a very Alien/Aliens world setup where a Xenobiologist on a company survey team stumbles across extraterrestrial life and Mischief Ensues.