DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

In any other, better world, this album would have hit number one. Such a corker. And a total Joey album. Somehow Rocket to Russia and Road to Ruin (out of all the poppier Ramones) don't do it for me but this one does. I also got Too Tough To Die in today and you'd think that would be my jam because of the fantastic Dee Dee '80s hardcore cuts on there but no, this is the shit. 

Also, you can tell Joey was totally devastated by his bandmate stealing the love of his life and him getting away with talking about it all over the record is fucking crazy. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

Stupid Hall of Fame inductions are stupid out and your stupid self can go stupid find 'em. Anyway, Judas Priest is going in at the same time as Jimmy Iovine. I'm not sure if they gave it to him because of Eminem or gave one to Eminem because they wanted him in. Or because Interscope probably pays the electricity for the event. 

40 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Stupid Hall of Fame inductions are stupid out and your stupid self can go stupid find 'em. Anyway, Judas Priest is going in at the same time as Jimmy Iovine. I'm not sure if they gave it to him because of Eminem or gave one to Eminem because they wanted him in. Or because Interscope probably pays the electricity for the event. 

Really?  Iovine produced a lot of big albums before he ever became Mr Interscope

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

*looks at Wiki*

Well damn. Do they put producers in regularly?

The Rock Hall of Fame has the Ahmet Ertegun Award for Non-Performers, that's what Jimmy Iovine & Sylvia Robinson are getting this year. Kind of similar to the Builders section of the Hockey Hall of Fame and the Contributors section of the Basketball Hall of Fame.

That they inducted Dolly Parton after she said "thanks but no thanks" is really shitty.

• Like 1

inducting Dolly, Annie Lennox, Carly Simon, and Pat Benetar at the same time seems like a way to tease a "quartet of female singers" performance that probably doesn't happen at the ceremonies.

anyways... i'm listening to the new Willie Nelson album (A Beautiful Time) through Spotify because Willie's now 89. He's firmly in the "he can do whatever he wants" realm now, he doesn't really have anything else to prove but he wants to keep releasing albums and he's gonna keep doing it. For all we know, he's gonna release a 3rd Frank Sinatra covers album soon enough.

Edit: my favorite tracks off of "A Beautiful Time" were "I Don't Go To Funerals" and "Live Every Day". So i'm casting my vote for "the songs written by Willie and Buddy Cannon were better than the songs he covered on this album".

Edited by Cobra Commander

I forgot the smile album finally came out today. I pre downloaded it and it showed up in my Apple Music without me remembering. I got the ppv a couple months ago, after the album didn’t materialize I stopped paying attention. After listening once in my car doing errands after work I thought it was really good. Now I’m high and listening with headphones and it’s amazing. The opposite, oh man. 

I may have shared this twitter at some point in the past, but here is an entry from "Threatening Music Notation" that (if you can read music) will make your heart explode in your chest:

She and Him are releasing a Brian Wilson covers album. Darlin’ is a song I only became familiar with when I saw The Beach Boys live last month. The original is rad, and once I got used to the change in key I really got into their cover.

Matt Gourley’s band Townland released an excellent album last month. They have sort of a 70s easy listening Laurel Canyon country sound. Solid State is a great song that also serves as the theme for the With Gourley and Rust podcast (with amended horror themed lyrics.) 

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

and the world now has a Diana Ross/Tame Impala collaboration

I had to explain in a twitch stream the other day who Diana Ross was. Someone described her as an 80s singer.

• Sad 1

this popped up in my feed. It’s no wonder Abba blew everyone away, given all the middle aged singers crooning slow songs. Its also funny how noticeable their accents are in this version of Waterloo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Grabbed this on wax. What an incredible, essential batch of songs from such an incredible, essential group. They play every different genre under the sun but it always sounds like Big Boys. 

Even though I first heard them on a couple of comps back in the 80s, I didn't get into them until after I moved to Austin and learned more about them, plus seeing Tim in garage rock bands and getting to know him as a friend. I love that they just played what they wanted to play. My current fave is "Your Money's in our Hands", taunting the frat boys who used to go to their shows to start fights.

Light in the Attic did a huge reissue of back in 2015 of "Lullabies" and "No Matter How Long", and before that of "Where's My Towel/Industry Standard", but those are all sold out now. My friend Timmy also did a reissue of the "Fun Fun Fun" ep back in 2013, and I also have an original of that. I have one of the 2012 Gern Blandsten reissues of Wreck Collection, and a copy of the Live at Rauls single.

I'm actually pretty close to being a completist on all of Tim's projects, excluding all the various compilations the Big Boys were on.