DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones deserve a lot of respect. For a certain type of person at a certain type of age -- weirdos like me who were in high school in the 90s -- they were essential for the kids who wanted something more than just Nirvana and Pearl Jam. I was already a big Ramones fan and had at least some exposure to The Descendants and DK by that point. But the first time I heard The Bosstones was on some skate/surf show that was on in the afternoons on ESPN. It was "Someday I Suppose" and it literally sounded like they reinvented music. I did not know what "ska" was yet, but I got a huge kick out of hearing "punk with horns," especially since a bunch of my friends were in the marching band.

The Bosstones were also a pretty fucking great live band when I was in high school and early college. They were just about having fun, and singalongs, and stagediving and all the stuff that a 17-year-old eats up. I actually saw them a few years ago and they were still a blast. 

They also remind me a lot of The Violent Femmes. They're both a great "first step" band to help discover "better" music a few months later. 

Kudos to them on having a 39-year career. I won't comment on the supposed reason behind the breakup, because I want to remember putting "Where'd You Go?" on a mix tape for this girl Natalie I dated one summer and not because of anti-vax nonsense. 

• Like 3

I woke up this morning and was just like "I think I need to breakdown and cry this morning for no reason. I'm ok, jusI listened to this sand if this ain't the perfect song for that I don't know what is...

James

This came across my FB this morning and it's a fascinating story. The Casio 40 appears to have been as revolutionary for reggae/dancehall as the Roland 808 was for hip-hop.

https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-topics/g02027/?fbclid=IwAR0xjxZgKlcJLbZE_z5gjFaC9OP7vONtFHFTTIR8vlQUQTfmjsuGQh3PKLQ

This is the song, Under Me Sleng Teng. Instantly recognizable riddim if you've listened to any 80s or 90s dancehall:

Edited by JLowe
left out an "as"
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

May be an image of text

It'll be Dionne Warwick, Carly Simon, Lionel Richie, Dolly Parton and Duran Duran AND YOU'LL LIKE IT!!!

Eminem is first ballot all the way. Dolly Parton isn't a bad thought because of the length of the career and the influence of her songwriting. I hope to hell that Judas Priest gets in.

Edited by KidNatural
I kicked her leg from under her leg.

21 minutes ago, KidNatural said:

Eminem is first ballot all the way. Dolly Parton isn't a bad thought because of the length of the career and the influence of her songwriting. I hope to hell that Judas Priest gets in.

Eminem will probably get in, but there is no way he should be in before A Tribe Called Quest.  Color me shocked that Lionel Richie isn't in yet.  He seems to be the exact type of artist the R&R Hall of Fame loves to celebrate.  The Rock and Roll hall of fame is really just the popular American music hall of fame, and Dolly Parton might be the most beloved living American musician.  Honestly, I think Stevie Wonder is her only competition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Eminem will probably get in, but there is no way he should be in before A Tribe Called Quest.  Color me shocked that Lionel Richie isn't in yet.  He seems to be the exact type of artist the R&R Hall of Fame loves to celebrate.  The Rock and Roll hall of fame is really just the popular American music hall of fame, and Dolly Parton might be the most beloved living American musician.  Honestly, I think Stevie Wonder is her only competition.

I love A Tribe Called Quest, but Eminem is that generational talent. The problem with the hall has never been the election, it's the nomination process.

If you're going to nominate Fela Kuti, which is fine because he was awesome, you can nominate people like Dolly, Willie Nelson and John Coltrane.

1 hour ago, KidNatural said:

I love A Tribe Called Quest, but Eminem is that generational talent. The problem with the hall has never been the election, it's the nomination process.

A Tribe Called Quest has the better catalog by a decent amount.  Eminem is Peyton Manning, Tribe is Tom Brady.  Em is more talented, but Tribe has at least 3 albums better than any Eminem album.

Them AND the Dolls not being in is criminal. Of course you also have the Priest/Maiden carrot that they like to dangle every year too. But then, Jann Wenner was flipping through channels and saw on Colbert that Dionne Warwick is still alive/doing a Vegas residency/is Twitter famous now so she's on the list.

EDIT: And MC5 stands for the Motor City Five so you damn well know they're from Detroit haha

Edited by Curt McGirt

With Bonds and Clemons not being in the Baseball Hall of Fame, there has been a lot of conversation about what is the point of a hall of fame, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is probably the hall of fame I understand the least.  Dionne Warwick is someone I don't have much of an opinion on as far as her hall of fame candidacy goes, but if she's not in the hall of fame by now, what could have possibly happened recently to make her a better candidate?  Her last hit was Love Power in 1987.  With that said, she's second only to Aretha Franklin for most charted female vocalist during the "rock era (1955-1999)."  The criteria of induction:  "To be eligible for induction, artists have to had released their first record 25 years earlier and "have created music whose originality, impact and influence has changed the course of rock & roll," according to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame."  That doesn't really mean anything.  That could really include almost anybody in any genre depending on who is making the choice.  That also doesn't actually take into consideration the quality of any artists catalog.  For instance, Whitney Houston is an obvious hall of fame artist, but I took a look at the list of inductees and noticed that Anita Baker isn't in the hall of fame.  I'd be willing to bet that most people who listened to R&B during their peaks would agree that Anita Baker's catalog is better front to back than Whitney Houston's catalog.  Whitney Houston had the bigger hits, but if you were to survey the average R&B fan over their career, they'd probably say Anita Baker had more songs they like.  Not only that, I don't think anyone would say that Whitney Houston ever put out an album better than Rapture or Giving you the Best That I've Got.  Whitney was a much bigger crossover star, and has one of the most iconic voices in the history of music, but within the genre that she populated I can't say for sure that she'd get in before someone like Anita Baker.  At the same time, Dolly Parton, who is pretty much THE female country singer for most of the population of the country, hasn't been inducted.  I'm sure if we talked to a bunch of country music fans they'd be able to name plenty of people they enjoy more than Dolly Parton, just like R&B fans could name singers they enjoy more than Whitney Houston.  If this hall of fame is going to be anything close to credible, they kind of need to induct both the Anita Bakers and Whitney Houstons.  The way it works now kind of does neither.  I fully understand why someone like Whitney Houston is in before someone like Anita Baker, but I don't see any real justification how and why Whitney Houston is in and Dolly Parton is not.  They are kind of the same candidate.

21 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I'm wondering when the R&R HOF was expanded to include other genres outside "rock" and I presume "blues." 

Maybe it should just rebranded to be "Music HOF." 

It's because "Rock" doesn't actually mean anything concrete.  When people think of rock music now, it's generally guitar driven bands, but that kind of alienates people like Little Richard who is one of the pioneers of the genre and made music that you couldn't really describe as anything but Rock and Roll.  Another thing you would have to really think about is that rock and roll was created by black artists, but as time went on black music was never really called rock music.  You have bands like Funkadelic and The Isley Brothers who were guitar driven bands, but no one really considers either of them rock bands at this point.*  So, when you have a rock and roll hall of fame, do you just ignore the contributions to the people who created the genre and only celebrate the people who coopted the genre? 

*Seriously, the best American rock band is either Funkadelic or The Isley Brothers.  I don't think there is much of an argument for anyone else, but I also don't think most people think of either of them as rock bands.  

Without looking, I presume “contributors” as they would likely be called like Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon and Howlin Wolf are already in, either by vote or committee. I don’t know about other people like Memphis Minnie from before the 50s. 

given how rock and roll is such a hybrid, I guess putting in country and soul/R&B acts makes sense. It just seems odd to put Dolly Parton in the R&R HOF unless it’s meant to include country rock and or country pop.

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Without looking, I presume “contributors” as they would likely be called like Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon and Howlin Wolf are already in, either by vote or committee. I don’t know about other people like Memphis Minnie from before the 50s. 

given how rock and roll is such a hybrid, I guess putting in country and soul/R&B acts makes sense. It just seems odd to put Dolly Parton in the R&R HOF unless it’s meant to include country rock and or country pop.

The issue with the hall of fame is that it never actually says what should or shouldn't be included.  My point with the Whitney Houston/Dolly Parton post is that they occupy the exact same place in music, just from different angles.  I feel like people care about Whitney Houston and Dolly Parton even if they don't care about R&B and/or Country.  Both are clear first ballot hall of famers in their particular genres, but the fact that they both crossed over to audiences to become huge stars outside of their genres is why they should be included.  There is an argument that R&B is a direct descendant of rock and roll and country music is more of a cousin, but Hank Williams and Chet Atkins are in, so that goes out the window.  It's one of those things that once you put Hank Williams in, you are saying that country music is eligible, so keeping Dolly Parton out doesn't make sense.