DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

I've been rediscovering lots of punk music I had to miss while delving into the entirety of Bob Dylan's catalogue for like 20 years. Back in the old days, I had a pretty random collection of stuff by Green Day, Social Distortion, blink-182, The Bouncing Souls, rancid, and The Sex Pistols. I think I move'd onto the popcore emo stuff after I got into The Clash, and Combat-Rock kind of open'd my mind to try anything alternative to the radio in the Napster era. I really liked how A New Found Glory mix'd the pop-punk with a little more mid-pace'd hardcore but with them, it seem'd like something that couldn't go on forever. I moved on completely to folk-music once I heard of Bright Eyes and the rest is history, except lately I realize'd I somehow forgot Saves The Day. I had Through Being Cool and Stay What You Are and I think that on those two albums, they did perfectly what NFG aim'd to accomplish in those early years. 

As far as the punk rock goes, does anyone hate where the old bands have gone with the music in the last 20 years? I saw a Green Day MV the other day about getting-drunk and I thought it was terrific. "Redundant" was always one of my favorite G.D. songs and I love when Billy Joe offers his version of the Lennon-esque psychedelia, plus I'm glad to hear them looking and sounding somewhat happy with where they are right now (it can't be easy coming down from that American Idiot high). I've heard great things about blink-182's newest album and MxPx are likewise said to be on a musical peak right now; I like that The Ataris are still around. 

Social Distortion I've always been kind of in-the-middle towards. I really, really like WLWHWT and Somewhere B/W Heaven & Hell, but the rest of the stuff is hit and miss with me. Sex, Love, and Rock'n'roll sounds great, but I don't know how bad I want to hear Hard-Time and Nursey Rhymes. I wish Mike Ness would do another solo album; Under The Influences is a large part of why I start'd giving country-music a chance in my younger years. Their concert at Hellfest is a great watch on youtube.

Rancid are easily the most impressive of the bunch, if you ask me. "Red Hot Moon" and "Last One to Die" are old as hell already but it's hard to tell when I listen to them. Hell, "Evil's My Friend" might be consider'd old already and I'm still dreaming of the towns where that song is play'd on the radio. Is "New American" about meeting the guy from The Butcher and The Blade? I know I could look it up, but I'd rather just listen to the song to be honest. 

As far as I new stuff I look to pick up some Good Riddance and Hot Water Music when I've got some coin in my pocket. If Chuck Ragan has solo stuff, I'll be dumping whatever I can find in my pockets at his feet; I can't believe it took me so long to remember Hot Water Music exists. 

I gotta work so I'm gonna keep this short, but those first six albums..  good lord. And I have Rage for Order on tape coming in the mail. Queensryche were the best up til the big one.

EDIT: "The big one" being Mindcrime. I reason I like the EP and The Warning so much is probably because they sound just like '70s Judas Priest. Melodic and sorrowful. Rage and Mindcrime became a weird mix of very 'of its time' '80s prog metal and I like that too, but it took me years to be able to get into it. (I was too busy listening to Minor Threat haha)

Coincidentally I've also listened to the Butthole's PCPEP and put Psychic EP on the drive in my car. Ridiculous 😄

Edited by Curt McGirt

Category: Eurovision music that has become far too relevant at various times

”Push the Button” by Teapacks from 2007

probably for the best to not comment about some things

but the Hebrew rapping was fun

This finished 24th of 28 in the semifinal because you can’t venture too far outside of the mold in Eurovision unless you’re really awesome