DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

Yeah, I love Florida, but i don't think I could live down there. I've witnessed and heard too many stories from Hurricane evacuees when that's a need, and you can pretty much only go one direction until 75/95 reaches I10, and even then, your options don't widen until you get further north or west of those intersectional points. 

Yesterday, I found out that No Scrubs (TLC) and You Outta Know (Alanis Morisette) were literally written about the same guy.

So he must be a complete twat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/12/2021 at 5:06 AM, AxB said:

Yesterday, I found out that No Scrubs (TLC) and You Outta Know (Alanis Morisette) were literally written about the same guy.

So he must be a complete twat.

unfortunately, that "news" is from a satire site. 

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/tlc-confirms-that-no-scrubs-was-also-written-about-dave-coulier/

Are we sharing a Spotify Wrapped? I'm once again in the 99% range, as usual. Honestly, I was having a bitching about my job session with a friend,  and she asked what I'd do in a perfect world. I told her I'd write the complete history of black music from about 1965 to the present. If need someone to pay for that because I listened to over 90 days worth of music and don't feel like I've made a dent into everything I wanted to listen to this year.

Edited by supremebve
  • Like 1

Capital-G Great Indie bands are occasionally evergreen but are often ebb-slash-flowy, and I've grown accustomed to the ebb beating out the flow. But I heard a song on the radio and it gives me hope that something I want to happen might actually come into being. Animal Collective might be good again.

These guys are my hometown band and peaked at the same time my interest in indie rock peaked, I give a shit. So like Merriweather Post Pavilion breaks through in 2009 and it looks like it's the herald trumpet (sampled, treated, natch) of a new era of indie rock. Turns out it was actually the last gasp of a certain kind of whiteboy weirdness before Pitchfork et al. traded in their guitars for Soundcloud accounts, or less cynically, one of the final triumphs of the blog years sound.The band set out on an all-time shitty festival tour where crowds only cared about "My Girls" and settled into a decade-long rut of squelchy fuckery and soundtracks to films about coral. Shit happens. At least Noah technically won one-thirteenth of Daft Punk's AotY Grammy. But even though every proper AnCo record since has created more apologists than fans, hope wasn't totally lost. That one Panda Bear record from 2014 was really good, Deakin's trainwreck Kickstarter campaign actually managed to create a damn fine EP, and Avey was dating Angel Deradoorian and I assume she just wrote "Little Fang" for him.

What's got me really fucked up is that the last three things the band have done have been plain old GOOD. I have not had to strain my brain or alter my state to enjoy them. The Avey Tare + Geologist Meeting of the Waters EP they recorded in the freakin' Amazon jungle brings back a bunch of good, old tricks. It's like their classic EPs - one great one, one big fan-pleaser, a good-not-great one, and 5 acceptable minutes of Geologist wankery. Fits like an old sweater, as does Bridge to Quiet's return to the murk. Avey Tare's most recent solo LP, Cows on Hourglass Pond, is probably the best-produced thing I've heard anyone in the band put out since MPP and the most front-to-backable solo release I've heard from any band member since, yeah, Person Pitch. Avey's playing bass now, and his newfound ability to hold down the low end against interesting but not self-sufficient sampler twiddles is their biggest step up I've heard since the advent of "Panda can sing!". 

Proof positive - their new single, "Prestor John", is their best single since "Brother Sport". They sound, god damnit, like a BAND. Avey's bass and Panda's actual regular drum kit and Deakin's completing of a three-part harmony seem natural. And dare I forget the hurdy-gurdy solo, which sounds just as unorganically organic as any squishy MPC outro . For a group who's old successes were based on their uncanny ability to be undaunted by any self-consciousness and change their sound up as often as Maryland weather, this weirdly obvious shift sounds like the end of a long, rainy winter. This version of Animal Collective sounds like a new generation of the deeply seasoned jam band they've wanted to be. I sincerely believe their February LP Time Skiffs will be their comeback album, and beyond that I hope their new "format" will let them be a more consistent live band. Fingers crossed. Bonefish.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 10:49 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Incredible UK '82. Last song will make you bawl your eyes out though, be forewarned. 

This is great!  I really need to listen to this and the One Step Closer album more.  Every punk thing was obliterated by the Armed this year. 

• Like 1

I stumbled across my best albums of 2018 and they still hold up:

Spoiler

1. Holy Fawn - Death Spells

2. CHRCH  - Until the Light Consumes Us

3. Daysleepers - Creation

4. Film School - Bright to Death

5. Locktender - Friederich

6. The Armed - Only Love

7. Hirs Collective - Friends.Lovers.Favorites.

8. Zeal and Ardor - Strange Fruit

9. The Body - I have fought against it but I can't any longer.

10. Failure - In the Future Your Body will be the furthest thing from your mind

11. Mandy Soundtrack

12. Panopticon - the scars of man on the nameless wilderness

13. Mesarthim - The Density Parameter

14. Fluisteraars / Turia Split - De Oord

15. Entropia - Vacuum

16. Fearing - A Life of None

17. Svalbard - It's hard to have hope

18. Thou / Hirs split (I think Nirvana covers)

19. Thou / Ragana Split

20. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

Only thing that really didn't hold up is the Deafheaven, but then again I don't even remember that Entropia album. 

There's been a ton of good punk this year (like always) but the ones I had to buy instead of just burn were Scarecrow, Exil, Bootlicker, Nervous SS/Rat Cage split, Electric Chair (KILLER EP. Just a non-stop side-flipper) and Quarantine. I got the Chisel record scooped out from under me from Sorry State Records at the last minute. Svaveldioxid and Dissekerad came in just under the line (I think Dissekerad was released less than a week ago). Best re-releases were definitely the Nog Watt 7", United Mutation, the Bristles (Sweden), Excrement of War, and all the Propaganda Records stuff from Finland that Puke 'n' Vomit has been working on. That label also put out new pressings of the Defects and the excellent second Defiance record if you want a little more melody. 

There are probably a dozen demo tapes that I'm forgetting but we'll leave that to the four winds

• RIPPA changed the title to General Music Discussion Catch-All

David Bowie's estate has sold his entire songwriting catalog to Warner Music

The agreement encompasses the rights to 26 studio albums he put out while alive; the record “Toy,” which was released as part of a box set last year and whose stand-alone, deluxe version will be available Friday; and songs from soundtracks and other works. According to the release, because Warner had already licensed Bowie’s recorded music catalogue, the new deal marks the company’s complete acquisition of his work as both a songwriter and recorded performer.

• 2 weeks later...