DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

Awww. Give it another listen sometime, especially very loud on a quality car stereo. The bass is hip hop-level mirror-rattling. They also had use for guitar harmonies that they never put on another record. 

This is probably my favorite: 

If I had to pick my odd man out in the discography it might actually be Die Healing due to the production, which is far too cold and sterile for them. You might say it makes the music even darker though...

On 8/17/2021 at 10:40 AM, Greggulator said:

their fans made me roll my eyes

But who is worse: Nine Inch Nails or Tool fans?

I say that as a fan of both, but holy shit. One fandom praises Trent for literally anything and everything (I'm not big on his soundtrack/instrumental work, tbh) and the other fandom are like what you'd get if the children of Grateful Dead fans thought they found their own version of the Dead.

• 2 weeks later...

So i played through all of the Bond movie songs a couple times at work today, and i gotta say: Madonna's "Die Another Day" is so, so bad. there's a bunch of classic songs, some less memorable ones, and then this abomination. No matter how you look at it, it doesn't fit. Theme? Genre? Sound? just an absolutely terrible Bond song. It stuck WAY out both times through the playlist.  Seriously, what is the argument for this working?

P.S. i thought we had a thread dedicated more to Bond songs, but i couldn't find it.

I have a question about iTunes if someone has a moment. I bought Hybrid's latest album "Black Halo", but no matter how many times I authorize my desktop to play the songs iTunes won't play the first three tracks, just endless loops of re-authorizing the machine.

On 9/3/2021 at 6:17 PM, Jiji said:

Drake sampled Get Throwed by Bun B and had Kawhi be goofy in his video. Not bad. Dude is sketch as fuck tho. 

I'm gonna give this a proper listen Thursday night/Friday. I've only heard Fair Trade and Way 2 Sexy as of now, and... yeah, this isn't that great. And I don't hate Drake like most people. Take Care is a fucking god tier album, IMO. It's funny that he dropped an unreleased Kanye song on his radio show that had fucking ANDRE 3000, and was a diss track to Drake. So far that diss track is better than the two songs I've heard from Certified Lover Boy. Donda is slightly more of a bloated album than CLB, but it's got some bangers on it. Hopefully CLB does too.

But yeah, Drake is problematic as all hell and - nothing to do with that - he should have dropped the Kanye beef when Pusha stepped in a murk'd him on Story of Adidon.

On 9/2/2021 at 3:30 PM, twiztor said:

So i played through all of the Bond movie songs a couple times at work today, and i gotta say: Madonna's "Die Another Day" is so, so bad. there's a bunch of classic songs, some less memorable ones, and then this abomination. No matter how you look at it, it doesn't fit. Theme? Genre? Sound? just an absolutely terrible Bond song. It stuck WAY out both times through the playlist.  Seriously, what is the argument for this working?

P.S. i thought we had a thread dedicated more to Bond songs, but i couldn't find it.

The abomination by Jack White and Alicia Keys for Another Way To Die is also quite horrible.

• Like 1

It's technically metal but is better to put it here.

I'm a big Metallica fan but that Blacklist album with all the covers is one of the more self-indulgent albums I've come across in some time.  Yes, I know, no surprise there but even Kiss would go "Hmm...maybe not".  But it is worth skipping around so you don't get sick of the covered songs.  I'm already sick of "Enter Sandman" and I'm not done with them yet (though the one from Rina sounds inspired)

Though if you told me Hootie would be covering one of their songs in 2021 I would have called you a fool.  But sure enough there it is.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I dunno. Gene and Paul see that record then I have no doubt they'd be happy with their own Destroyer covers royalties album. This is the band that invented the Kiss Koffin, there are no depths they wouldn't plunge to. 

EDIT: Christ, I didn't know it was 54 tracks. That IS self-indulgent. None of the pop stars or whoever most of these people are surprise me except for OFF! I guess Keith Morris needs the money, if they get any off this. The whole thing is a fucking $50 download after all.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

$50?  Nuts to that, I'm fine with just hearing it via Apple Music.

EDIT:  I almost feel like jotting down the standout songs from here so others don't go insane hearing four or five covers of the same thing.  So far there's been a couple pretty good ones but I'm still working my way through.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I'm interested in the covers by St. Vincent, Miley Cyrus, Royal Blood, Mac DeMarco, Portugal. The Man, Phoebe Bridgers, My Morning Jacket, Chris Stapleton and Rodrigo y Gabriela. I gotta give Metallica (or whoever picked the artists) some credit - at least it's not just a bunch of butt rock bands doing the Black Album.

I mean they've got the fucking Flatbush Zombies and the Neptunes on there too. That's pretty cool, even though that's probably a huge styles clash and doesn't work (but maybe I'm wrong).

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm interested in the covers by St. Vincent, Miley Cyrus, Royal Blood, Mac DeMarco, Portugal. The Man, Phoebe Bridgers, My Morning Jacket, Chris Stapleton and Rodrigo y Gabriela. I gotta give Metallica (or whoever picked the artists) some credit - at least it's not just a bunch of butt rock bands doing the Black Album.

I mean they've got the fucking Flatbush Zombies and the Neptunes on there too. That's pretty cool, even though that's probably a huge styles clash and doesn't work (but maybe I'm wrong).

Chris Stapleton is the artist to which I was referring.

Not for me.

If that's his idea of a good cover I probably don't need to hear any of his stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 10:30 PM, twiztor said:

Aargh, Bond themes! Look, aside from the fact that A View to a Kill and Living Daylights are the only two themes ever to matter to me whatsoever, this was probably closest to there being a third one. On top of that, this was the first (and last) Madonna track I actually gave half a shit about since a couple of tracks off of A Ray of Light in 1997. I have heard people shit on this one ever since it came out and never understood what the big problem was? Yeah, I get that I'm alone on this one.

• Like 1