DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I saw that NIN tour as well. A Place To Bury Strangers opened and they were mindblowing. NIN was great, up until they decided to play most of Year Zero to end the show. I was not a fan of that record and a solid 45-60 minutes of it bummed me out hardcore. 

Smile was a good record but the Japanese release was mixed differently and is way more enjoyable, to me. They did a live album shortly after that is honestly my prefered way to listen to that record. After that they were hit or miss for a while as they seemed to just be over making music and it showed on their albums. 

The Nashville show had idiots trying to mosh to Closer. That ruined it for me, since I almost got fragged into the pit when I was just trying to get high and vibe out to the tunes. And I'm the opposite of you I guess, since Year Zero is a banger to me and one of my favorite albums put out by Trent. The Slip fuckin' slaps, though. HEALTH was okay, I don't remember much from their set. I really like them now, though. All I remember from that show, before NIN took the stage, was trying to find my friends since I got in way earlier than they did since I was a part of the fanclub or whatever so I bought my ticket through the club, and members got to enter the show earlier and had a separate line outside, etc. Oh, and that a lot of people were dressed up since it was Halloween - some guy as Master Shake from Aqua Teen, and a lot of people dressed up as the soldiers from the Year Zero ARG.

But, yeah, the setlist for that tour definitely wasn't catered towards people who wanted them to play the hits or anything. Not saying you're one of those people, but it's definitely a "play a huge chunk of our new shit, and here's a few older things thrown in". I went apeshit during The Great Destroyer, especially with the lighting rig they had on that tour, but people around me kind of just... weren't into it, or didn't know the song. But that's Nashville (pre-hipster invasion) for you.

I honestly probably listened to the Japanese release. I was big into torrents at the time, so it's definitely possible. But I know that Pink just hit a spot inside of me that was so satisfying, and nothing they released before or after even got to that point for me. 

• Like 1

I hate to say it but by that time with NIN, I kind of was going for nostalgia reasons. I loved them for a while and they kind of lost me after "With Teeth" so really, the show wasn't for me. I will say finally getting to be in a pit for "March of the Pigs" was worth it, along with APTBS opening. I feel like I'd probably like Year Zero more if I went back to it, I just haven't tried it yet. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This doesn't belong in the weirdo cover thread because it's a straight one. Zeppelin officially never did The Rover live, which is criminal, but this is a pretty fucking good substitute. Hell you can probably make a case that Ann Wilson's voice was in better shape than Plant's at this point to be honest.

• Like 1

MSG held its first full capacity show (everyone fully vaccinated) since the pandemic began.  It featured The Foo Fighters and Dave Chappelle (!) covering "Creep"

• Like 2

This is the clip that has been making the rounds recently where T-Pain tells the story of Usher saying to his face that he (T-Pain) fucked up music.

In the clip - T-Pain says that basically sent him into a 4 year battle with depression

On 6/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, RIPPA said:

This is the clip that has been making the rounds recently where T-Pain tells the story of Usher saying to his face that he (T-Pain) fucked up music.

In the clip - T-Pain says that basically sent him into a 4 year battle with depression

A snappy comeback would go like this, "maybe so, but it took six people to write 'Yeah!', bitch"

Not exactly synthwave, I guess, but even though Ethan Kath is a piece of shit - I adore the Alice Glass era of Crystal Castles. And I'm a big fan of her solo work. I guess you could classify Oneohtrix Point Never and oOoOO in that genre, too?

I was always more into witchhouse, which is technically an off-shoot of synthwave. SALEM was my shit about a decade ago.

On 6/26/2021 at 12:03 AM, Casey said:

Not exactly synthwave, I guess, but even though Ethan Kath is a piece of shit - I adore the Alice Glass era of Crystal Castles. And I'm a big fan of her solo work. I guess you could classify Oneohtrix Point Never and oOoOO in that genre, too?

I was always more into witchhouse, which is technically an off-shoot of synthwave. SALEM was my shit about a decade ago.

I need to check some of this out very soon, thanks!

I tried Salem and obviously got the wrong "Salem" at first, but then got the all caps one and it was something else.

I hear Lycia, Collide and Bowery Electric in here but when the dark rapping started, I tapped out pretty quick. There's a Dark/Satanic Rap Group over here in Finland called Jonestown and that's cool for what it's worth, but I was looking for more epic and Mad Max -shit! But I have to say "Witch House" has to be the coolest name for a sub-genre that has ever existed in the history of anything ! 

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

I tried Salem and obviously got the wrong "Salem" at first, but then got the all caps one and it was something else.

I hear Lycia, Collide and Bowery Electric in here but when the dark rapping started, I tapped out pretty quick. There's a Dark/Satanic Rap Group over here in Finland called Jonestown and that's cool for what it's worth, but I was looking for more epic and Mad Max -shit! But I have to say "Witch House" has to be the coolest name for a sub-genre that has ever existed in the history of anything ! 

Not all of their stuff has the rapping. "Starfall" doesn't, for example. But that's one of their newer songs. For me personally, I can't listen to them just off a CD or YouTube or whatever, they're one of those bands where the music is tied together nicely with their videos. The song I mentioned earlier, and their remix of Britney Spears' Until the World Ends is... something else. It's basically just chopped and screwed with actual military raids overseas as the video, and it's fucking haunting.

Well, fuck.  Deftones / Gojira has been pushed back until next spring and Poppy won't be performing on the rescheduled dates.  

I am crushed.   Need to see if my tickets will be honored for the new date next May.  If not, need to see about getting a refund.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Well, fuck.  Deftones / Gojira has been pushed back until next spring and Poppy won't be performing on the rescheduled dates.  

I am crushed.   Need to see if my tickets will be honored for the new date next May.  If not, need to see about getting a refund.

I think they said all tickets for the 2021 shows will be honored next year.

This is yet another blow to Bonnaroo's lineup, since Lana Del Rey and King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard pulled out earlier in the week. I might get tickets for their new Nashville date. I've always wanted to see Deftones live.. Bonnaroo would have been a perfect chance for me to do that, but, alas... fucking COVID.

Might fit better in the TV folder, but if you've got Hulu and haven't yet watched Summer Of Soul (lost footage of a Harlem music fest in '69), you are doing yourself a disservice. Watch that shit, especially if you have a good sound system - crank it up!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 2:16 PM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I hate to say it but by that time with NIN, I kind of was going for nostalgia reasons. I loved them for a while and they kind of lost me after "With Teeth" so really, the show wasn't for me. I will say finally getting to be in a pit for "March of the Pigs" was worth it, along with APTBS opening. I feel like I'd probably like Year Zero more if I went back to it, I just haven't tried it yet. 

I went to RiotFest a few years ago to see the Jawbreaker reunion and New Order headline night one. NIN headlined Saturday night. I never liked them at all in high school and their fans made me roll my eyes. But, man, they were so f'n good at RiotFest. They absolutely blew me and my friends away and we all talked afterwards if maybe we were completely wrong about NIN in retrospect. 

• Like 1

Hoo boy... so Wino from the Obsessed is a complete Covid nutter. I mean this leans far beyond anything I've heard suggested by anybody so far.

Spoiler

WINO STATEMENT

Two evenings ago, I received an email from Psycho Las Vegas, wherein they informed me, and other artists, that this event would require that all people, attendees and artists, wear a mask at ALL times indoors. The exception only being while singing on stage, all non-singing musicians, band members, etc. are required to be masked during the performance. This includes drummers. Also, as soon as the performance is over, artists will be required to re-don masks in backstage, front of house, vip lounges, and common areas. I have dug very deep when researching covid-19 not just on youtube, but in scientific publications, journals, lectures, etc. I BELIEVE THE VIRUS EXISTS, and has been weaponized as has been proven in congressional hearings where the evidence is overwhelming. Our govt (NIH) has been complicit in the financing, and shared scientific lab work creating a SARS based super coronavirus, designed specifically for lethality and easy dissemination amongst the human population. Bio-weapons are nothing new, but in my personal opinion pure evil. Early on in the so called pandemic it was stated by the CDC that PCR tests were inaccurate in determining if one had the virus, because they are designed for individuals who already were symptomatic. The CDC quickly backtracked as it was a desirable test to cause FALSE POSITIVES. Also, the Innova rapid tests have been recalled by the FDA for also giving inaccurate results. Mainstream media did not report this, and these tests are still in use. A paper mask was also first said by the WHO and so called experts to be useless against the virus, then of course the official word was again changed. My personal beliefs are: We are under the authoritarian cloak of a small cadre of unelected so called “elite” who are beyond rich and consequently consider themselves above the common man. This virus I believe was created as a depopulation tool, and the fear associated with it as a means to subjugate and enslave you and I, the common people. I cannot, in good conscious, perform my music in an environment that is designed to take away individuality, civil liberties and free will. I will not be performing this night at Psycho Las Vegas, not out of fear, but principle. If we, the people, continue to blindly accept this tyranny we are destined for enslavement. These are my personal views, but I urge everyone to dig deep. My apologies to my friends and fans, but it’s time to wake up.

Sincerely,

WINO 8/19/2021

Plague Years

This guy was on meth for years/is probably on meth right now and it REALLY shows.

Well, I got to see 'em the one time, happy to check out now. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hoo boy... so Wino from the Obsessed is a complete Covid nutter. I mean this leans far beyond anything I've heard suggested by anybody so far.

Hide contents

WINO STATEMENT

Two evenings ago, I received an email from Psycho Las Vegas, wherein they informed me, and other artists, that this event would require that all people, attendees and artists, wear a mask at ALL times indoors. The exception only being while singing on stage, all non-singing musicians, band members, etc. are required to be masked during the performance. This includes drummers. Also, as soon as the performance is over, artists will be required to re-don masks in backstage, front of house, vip lounges, and common areas. I have dug very deep when researching covid-19 not just on youtube, but in scientific publications, journals, lectures, etc. I BELIEVE THE VIRUS EXISTS, and has been weaponized as has been proven in congressional hearings where the evidence is overwhelming. Our govt (NIH) has been complicit in the financing, and shared scientific lab work creating a SARS based super coronavirus, designed specifically for lethality and easy dissemination amongst the human population. Bio-weapons are nothing new, but in my personal opinion pure evil. Early on in the so called pandemic it was stated by the CDC that PCR tests were inaccurate in determining if one had the virus, because they are designed for individuals who already were symptomatic. The CDC quickly backtracked as it was a desirable test to cause FALSE POSITIVES. Also, the Innova rapid tests have been recalled by the FDA for also giving inaccurate results. Mainstream media did not report this, and these tests are still in use. A paper mask was also first said by the WHO and so called experts to be useless against the virus, then of course the official word was again changed. My personal beliefs are: We are under the authoritarian cloak of a small cadre of unelected so called “elite” who are beyond rich and consequently consider themselves above the common man. This virus I believe was created as a depopulation tool, and the fear associated with it as a means to subjugate and enslave you and I, the common people. I cannot, in good conscious, perform my music in an environment that is designed to take away individuality, civil liberties and free will. I will not be performing this night at Psycho Las Vegas, not out of fear, but principle. If we, the people, continue to blindly accept this tyranny we are destined for enslavement. These are my personal views, but I urge everyone to dig deep. My apologies to my friends and fans, but it’s time to wake up.

Sincerely,

WINO 8/19/2021

Plague Years

This guy was on meth for years/is probably on meth right now and it REALLY shows.

Well, I got to see 'em the one time, happy to check out now. 

I wish I had seen him live with Saint Vitus but what can you do.

• Sad 1