DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

Got confirmation on my tickets for Deftones / Gojira / Poppy at the Anthem in DC on August 29th.  I'll definitely put in for leave on the following Monday since I will probably end up driving back to the RVA after the show.

One of my infosec homies has already given me money to pick up a Gojira shirt for him. 

I am going to a concert with Poppy on the bill.  I feel that my daughter will laugh at me.

I am old.  I should probably get some ear plugs, shouldn't I?

I will be a busy dude in August because I also have tickets for RATM / RTJ on the 15th.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 5:45 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Young or old you should wear earplugs. As someone who's had encroaching tinnitus since he first plugged in a guitar, trust me. 

I remember standing near the speakers at a Motorhead concert and not being able to hear shit for like 3 days. It was kind of scary because it didn't go away after a few hours or a day. It wasn't even one of those things where it gradually got better after a bit and then went away. It was just like a constant stream of white noise in my ears for a couple of days. I went to work and literally had to have people write shit down that they wanted to say to me.

• Like 3

@cwoy2jthat is tantamount to hearing suicide. Did you end up next to the speakers by accident or was it a conscious decision on your part? Because that's not very smart ?

The loudest show that I was ever at was probably Destructor at one of the Chicago Heights Classic Metal Fests. I'm sure the other bands didn't help but they were the headliner and were super juiced (as was I, just in a different fashion; I remember people having to hold me up haha). The next morning I woke up in the hotel room and was literally in pain. It took an hour for my ears to stop hurting. The second loudest was a Selfish and Hellshock show with like four opening bands. The openers were fine but Hellshock was LOUD and I guess Selfish decided that as the overseas band they had to be LOUDER. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

When I saw James Blake, the bass from his set almost made my brain explode. But that's the only time I've ever been a little uncomfortable with the volume or anything at a concert.

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

@cwoy2jthat is tantamount to hearing suicide. Did you end up next to the speakers by accident or was it a conscious decision on your part? Because that's not very smart ?

The loudest show that I was ever at was probably Destructor at one of the Chicago Heights Classic Metal Fests. I'm sure the other bands didn't help but they were the headliner and were super juiced (as was I, just in a different fashion; I remember people having to hold me up haha). The next morning I woke up in the hotel room and was literally in pain. It took an hour for my ears to stop hurting. The second loudest was a Selfish and Hellshock show with like four opening bands. The openers were fine but Hellshock was LOUD and I guess Selfish decided that as the overseas band they had to be LOUDER. 

It was a combination of both. I wanted to be close to the stage and there was also a ramp to get to a beer vendor nearby. So my wife and I got close to there. I wasn't consciously trying to be next to the speakers as much as I was just trying to get close to easy beer access and trying to be close to enough to see Lemmy  rock out. The place was pretty packed and the one spot we found where we could see stuff that was also near the beer vendor/bathrooms and didn't have a ton of creepy neckbeards trying to grab my wife's ass (it was fucking ridiculous, I was pretty close to getting into like 10 fights that night) happened to be near the speakers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is great. I was always afraid that they'd be too melodic or slow (DC hardcore minus Minor Threat and Void always felt like that to me) but the songwriting is fantastic and the vocals and guitars, yes, fairly emotional, pre-dating what would become of the scene after Revolution Summer. "Linger in the Past" is brutally self-excoriating and sounds like a missing song by the latter-period of The Freeze. "Forever Gone" is about a teen suicide that was so heavy for the writer that he would break down onstage playing it and they'd have to stop the set. Really good album from a really good band. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Bonnaroo 2009 was the last concert the Beastie Boys did as a trio, and I'm quite honored to have been at that.

Even if I was kinda pissed they only played newer stuff that I wasn't familiar with.

GoGo's are finally in the RnR Hall of Fame.  Now if we could only get Devo in there while Mark Mothersbaugh and Gerald Casale are still alive. 

Alan "the Human Metronome" Myers, the percussionist most of us think of as a core member even though he was the third drummer, passed away in 2013.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

GoGo's are finally in the RnR Hall of Fame.  Now if we could only get Devo in there while Mark Mothersbaugh and Gerald Casale are still alive. 

Alan "the Human Metronome" Myers, the percussionist most of us think of as a core member even though he was the third drummer, passed away in 2013.

Devo Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Mark Mothersbaugh and Gerald Casale Carl Palmer

439.gif

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 5:45 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Young or old you should wear earplugs. As someone who's had encroaching tinnitus since he first plugged in a guitar, trust me. 

My last no-ear plugs concert was Boris and I wad super sorry for days after. Them, Melvins and Acid Mothers Temple have probably done the most damage to my ears in a live (and for Melvins and Boris, non-live, if we're being honest) setting over the years.

Also, if you haven't picked up the reissue of Boris' "Pink" from a few years back, do it! It sounds amazing. I love the booklet. The second disc and its demos are really good. Plus, the record itself is just too kickass. "Farewell" is one of my favorite openers and then it transitions right into the title track which is loud kicks your ass. 

Fun fact: The first non-wrestling (and non-trolling Mike Sweetser (was that his name? I think it was)) thing I remember posting about on this board was a raving account of seeing Boris open for Sunn0))) alongside Oren Ambarchi when I was in high school at the Wexner Center for the Arts on Ohio State's campus, which Sunn0))) has made available on Bandcamp here. I remember a really fun show in support of "Black One" (at least, as much as a Sunn0))) show can be "in support" of an album since to most people they all sound the same.) This show did have more of a "black metal themed" feel to it than other times I've seen them, even moreso than the times I've seen them with Atilla, who performed at the Monoliths and Dimensions shows wearing a full tree costume.

At the Wexner show, Atsuo (Boris' drummer) came out in his Sunn-robe, hit the gong, threatened to throw it into the audience, and then stage-dove and crowd surfed. I was a high school senior moving deeper into experimental/heavy/weird noise, punk, psych and metal so this show blew my damn mind. An older friend who was also getting into this stuff must have been the one to suggest we go. I'm assuming we had heard the black metal connection with Sunn. I came away proclaiming my alligence to Boris though. 

This was a way long trip through memory lane that I'm sure no one will read but oh well, I'm feeling wistful. Also, the newest Boris record (not the one with Merzbow but the proper Boris one) kicks ass as well. 

Edited by RazorbladeKiss87

On 5/12/2021 at 12:04 PM, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

My last no-ear plugs concert was Boris and I wad super sorry for days after. Them, Melvins and Acid Mothers Temple have probably done the most damage to my ears in a live (and for Melvins and Boris, non-live, if we're being honest) setting over the years.

Also, if you haven't picked up the reissue of Boris' "Pink" from a few years back, do it! It sounds amazing. I love the booklet. The second disc and its demos are really good. Plus, the record itself is just too kickass. "Farewell" is one of my favorite openers and then it transitions right into the title track which is loud kicks your ass. 

Fun fact: The first non-wrestling (and non-trolling Mike Sweetser (was that his name? I think it was)) thing I remember posting about on this board was a raving account of seeing Boris open for Sunn0))) alongside Oren Ambarchi when I was in high school at the Wexner Center for the Arts on Ohio State's campus, which Sunn0))) has made available on Bandcamp here. I remember a really fun show in support of "Black One" (at least, as much as a Sunn0))) show can be "in support" of an album since to most people they all sound the same.) This show did have more of a "black metal themed" feel to it than other times I've seen them, even moreso than the times I've seen them with Atilla, who performed at the Monoliths and Dimensions shows wearing a full tree costume.

At the Wexner show, Atsuo (Boris' drummer) came out in his Sunn-robe, hit the gong, threatened to throw it into the audience, and then stage-dove and crowd surfed. I was a high school senior moving deeper into experimental/heavy/weird noise, punk, psych and metal so this show blew my damn mind. An older friend who was also getting into this stuff must have been the one to suggest we go. I'm assuming we had heard the black metal connection with Sunn. I came away proclaiming my alligence to Boris though. 

This was a way long trip through memory lane that I'm sure no one will read but oh well, I'm feeling wistful. Also, the newest Boris record (not the one with Merzbow but the proper Boris one) kicks ass as well. 

Oh man, I was really into Boris back around 2007/2008. My favorite band of all-time is Nine Inch Nails, and they were touring at the time in support of Year Zero (while also technically being a tour for The Slip and the new instrumental album Ghosts I-IV). Their Halloween '08 show was my first actual concert outside of a music festival (TOOL headlining Bonnaroo 2007 was the first live music I had ever seen - back then, you could still fake wristbands and/or sneak in if necessary, so we made our own bracelets and it passed somehow. Still remember setting foot on the farm for the first time and immediately being approached by someone asking if I wanted to buy heroin).

Anyway! That Halloween show, I ended up going. But when they announced it, they had a whole host of opening acts for different stretches of the tour. The Bug, Crystal Castles (before we knew Ethan was a piece of shit - I still LOVE Alice Glass, tho), Deerhunter (!), Does It Offend You Yeah?, A Place to Bury Strangers (!), HEALTH... and Boris. I so fucking badly wanted Boris to be the opener. But it ended up being HEALTH, and at the time I was just not into that band at all. I was super pissed it wasn't Boris (or Deerhunter/Crystal Castles/APtBS).

I think Smile was the last album of theirs that I've heard, so I have a lot of catching up to do. My music tastes around 2010ish kind of shifted into hip-hop for whatever reason, so I kind of fell off on being up-to-date on rock/indie. But one thing I know for certain is that I've never been able to get into Sunn O))) besides "My Wall", and that if anyone collaborates with Merzbow that's an instant skip for me because I just fuckin' can't.

• Like 1

I saw that NIN tour as well. A Place To Bury Strangers opened and they were mindblowing. NIN was great, up until they decided to play most of Year Zero to end the show. I was not a fan of that record and a solid 45-60 minutes of it bummed me out hardcore. 

Smile was a good record but the Japanese release was mixed differently and is way more enjoyable, to me. They did a live album shortly after that is honestly my prefered way to listen to that record. After that they were hit or miss for a while as they seemed to just be over making music and it showed on their albums. 

• Like 1