DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2021

24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He has this thread set on follow. There's no way he's not going to be in here.

14 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

i returned because i had notifications. 

And there you go.

Spoiler, the movie ends the exact same way, except there's a cliffhanger for a sequel you'll never get.

All ribbing aside though, do these Snyder marks really think they're getting something that dramatically different than the story they already saw? It's the same plot outline, but now it's padded out to 4 hours. It's not like it's suddenly going to make more sense, look better, or have a different and better ending.

Also, let's just go back to when JL come out and say there was no meddling from the studio, Snyder's daughter didn't die, and Whedon was never involved. I can't begin to think of what a monumental flop a 4 hour theatrical release would have been. 3 hours is incredibly long and Endgame is the only movie that made it feel like 3 hours was a breeze. As much as I love Return of the King, even that thing is heavily padded out. I recently watched the extended cut of the Hateful Eight, but my wife and I watched it over the course of 4 nights spread out over a couple weeks. There's no way I could have watched 4 hours of that in the theater.

But this is split out into chapters or whatever so I guess now you get Snyder's full Rand-ian vision of the DC cinematic universe. Insert gif of John Oliver saying "Cool" here.

Hey, man, it has an intermission too! Get the details right, gosh.

EDIT: Oh, and that new Batman fan-film, Dying Is Easy? It's alright. The only things I liked about it was Batman himself (which is pretty important, Snyder) and the women who play Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. Bollock (MIchael Madsen) and the Joker is some dreadful stuff.

Edited by Casey

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

And there you go.

Spoiler, the movie ends the exact same way, except there's a cliffhanger for a sequel you'll never get.

All ribbing aside though, do these Snyder marks really think they're getting something that dramatically different than the story they already saw? It's the same plot outline, but now it's padded out to 4 hours. It's not like it's suddenly going to make more sense, look better, or have a different and better ending.

Also, let's just go back to when JL come out and say there was no meddling from the studio, Snyder's daughter didn't die, and Whedon was never involved. I can't begin to think of what a monumental flop a 4 hour theatrical release would have been. 3 hours is incredibly long and Endgame is the only movie that made it feel like 3 hours was a breeze. As much as I love Return of the King, even that thing is heavily padded out. I recently watched the extended cut of the Hateful Eight, but my wife and I watched it over the course of 4 nights spread out over a couple weeks. There's no way I could have watched 4 hours of that in the theater.

But this is split out into chapters or whatever so I guess now you get Snyder's full Rand-ian vision of the DC cinematic universe. Insert gif of John Oliver saying "Cool" here.

I mean, something that is being said in reviews is yes, the film does look better. And Cyborg is being talked about as a highlight and his story was completely missing from the Whedon version.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ligerbusa said:

I mean, something that is being said in reviews is yes, the film does look better. And Cyborg is being talked about as a highlight and his story was completely missing from the Whedon version.

Yeah, that's fair. At the same time, it's hard to care outside of having a morbid curiosity. There will never be a JL 2. We'll never see more of Cyborg, I doubt we'll get that Flashpoint movie, and it just feels odd to give people reason to care when the actors and, for the most part, the studio, have moved on.

It's such a weird, weird situation. I don't think we'll get JL 2 but fuck, I don't want to say anything for sure when it comes to DC. Zack has said he wants to do a very small movie next and then sci fi. He's also said that the studio considers the theatrical version as canon. Whatever canon is at this point.

• Like 1

I understand the complaint that the first two hours or so of Zack Snyder’s Justice League is slow. Personally, I didn’t mind it on my first viewing. There’s still a lot of new stuff here and I really loved Cyborg’s story which was completely cut from the theatrical release. The music by Junkie XL during that part is also really fantastic. The scenes that we have seen before are all just better in every way. They look better, sound better, and are expanded so they make sense or give the characters a higher purpose. Take the finale, for example. In the theatrical cut, Flash saves the Russian family and is thrown around by Steppenwolf. In Snyder’s film, he plays a massive part in saving the day. I don’t think we’ll get a JL 2 but we weren’t supposed to get this either, I certainly wouldn’t complain. I want more Darkseid, more Knightmare scenes, more heroes, more character development. Give me all of it. 8.5/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ligerbusa said:

I understand the complaint that the first two hours or so of Zack Snyder’s Justice League is slow. Personally, I didn’t mind it on my first viewing. There’s still a lot of new stuff here and I really loved Cyborg’s story which was completely cut from the theatrical release. The music by Junkie XL during that part is also really fantastic. The scenes that we have seen before are all just better in every way. They look better, sound better, and are expanded so they make sense or give the characters a higher purpose. Take the finale, for example. In the theatrical cut, Flash saves the Russian family and is thrown around by Steppenwolf. In Snyder’s film, he plays a massive part in saving the day. I don’t think we’ll get a JL 2 but we weren’t supposed to get this either, I certainly wouldn’t complain. I want more Darkseid, more Knightmare scenes, more heroes, more character development. Give me all of it. 8.5/10

Glad you like it Bat Bud. Hoping to see it ASAP.

• Like 1

What the fuck? Why?

EDIT: Apparently it's just postponed to tomorrow, rather than cancelled altogether.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

There isn't one.  It's in the Epilogue.  

Spoiler

In addition to the Legion of Doom setup we got in the Whedon (although in this Luthor tells Slade Batman's Identity), we get an extended "dream" sequence that's a continuation of Cyborg's vision right before he revived Superman, basically Darkseid shows up and conquers the world with Superman's help, after Superman goes rogue when Lois gets incinerated (Joker makes it sound like it might've been Bruce's fault).  It's Bats, Flash, Cybord, Slade, and Mera and the Kryptonite Spear while Batman wants to undo what happened.  Joker is there, calls him out, and they have a conversation that confirms Death in the Family happened and that Joker ended up killing Harley, Supes shows up, and Bruce wakes from said dream.  Then Jonn shows up outside Bruce's lakehouse and joins the League, warning that Darkseid is still coming.

The world post Darkseid looks to be a mashup of Final Boss Darkseid and Injustice, with a bit of Final Crisis tossed in.

It's less a cliffhanger and more a setup for the Big Boss ala Thanos at the end of Avengers.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

Last night, Ryan Reynolds live-tweeted his first viewing of Green Lantern (pretty much as an opportunity to push the gin he owns a piece of). Linking from the middle of the thread because if I link from the beginning, it cuts off two posts after the tweet about Blake Lively. All you're missing out on is a picture of his laptop and his love of Stanly Tucci. Is his gin any good?

Edited by John from Cincinnati

I'll get this out of the way up front. I pitched a bitch over the aspect ratio originally. I still think it was a bad decision. But as the movie flowed I got lost in it and didn't notice it as much as I thought I would. I still think you should paint your picture for the canvas you have (HBO Max on 16:9 TVs), not the canvas you want (IMAX theaters 4:3). I'll put my reactions in spoilers.

Spoiler

I really enjoyed it. Far superior to the Whedon cut. Not a perfect movie mind you. But very very enjoyable. The stakes felt much grander and much more real. It also connected so much better to the previous two movies in the series. This certainly isn't the cut we would have got if Snyder stayed on, it would have to be edited down to theater length. But for a 4 hour movie, there's not a lot that I felt was inessential. It all felt plot driven and necessary. Each character gets highlighted and time to shine.

Cyborg is clearly a much better character in this version, and gets a proper introduction. Flash still had some light moments and funny quips, but far less than the original. Which is good in my opinion. He feels more real in this vs a caricature in the original. Everything just makes sense. No more tacked on Russian family. Much more of a cohesive vision on why Steppenwolf is there / background on why Earth would be so important to Darksied. Just far superior in every way.

The epilogue sets up a movie I would very much like to see. I really don't think we'll get it. But that Knightmare scene had such a random pairing of contrasting characters. Now I may have misunderstood some of the Batman Joker banter. But how I took it was they insinuated Joker was the reason Lois Lane died. And that was the catalyst to why Superman snapped and joined Darkseid. In the process Superman killed Aquaman. And that lead to a successful takeover for Darksied. I have no idea why Deathstroke was with the group but Mera made sense. And I'd love for a film with a portion of that future. A threat so massive the villains and heroes have to team up. The wake up / a clearly not yoked current day Affleck meeting Martian Manhunter was whatever. But man. Shocked how much more I liked this version than I was expecting too.

I am pleasantly surprised. There's definitely a chance WB sees all the positivity around this and decide for a DCEU HBO Max finale film. It's like 1 in a million. But you're telling me there's a chance! /Lloyd Christmas

• Like 2

I guess I'm pleasantly surprised too. Fuck it, throw some money at wrapping this thing up with a 6 episode miniseries or something. 

Joker is still fucking horrendous though. 

• Like 2